Tough Gun Laws in NYC help prevent violent crime?

This is a discussion on Tough Gun Laws in NYC help prevent violent crime? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Too bad more folks can't easily carry in NYC.. wcbstv.com - NYC Bus Driver Stabbed To Death In Front Of Riders...

Thread: Tough Gun Laws in NYC help prevent violent crime?

Tough Gun Laws in NYC help prevent violent crime?

Too bad more folks can't easily carry in NYC..
    wcbstv.com - NYC Bus Driver Stabbed To Death In Front Of Riders

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Thinking about it I'm not sure it would make much difference if NYC had "shall issue". I just wonder how many folks on this forum take a city bus anywhere? Guess what I'm trying to say as politely as possible is that I don't think the people using the inner city buses are likely to be legally carrying.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Thinking about it I'm not sure it would make much difference if NYC had "shall issue". I just wonder how many folks on this forum take a city bus anywhere? Guess what I'm trying to say as politely as possible is that I don't think the people using the inner city buses are likely to be legally carrying.
    A bit of a generalization but it's generally true so it works :) Good point and I agree since you said legally.

I guess bus drivers need to be protected by a bullet proof cubicle that passengers cannot access
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Disagree. Lived in the city for the first 24 years of my life.
    The options are subway, bus, taxi. Private vehicle doesn't work very well- no place to park, expensive parking, too much congestion in almost all areas.

The subways are well patrolled. It is on the buses where cc would be helpful; except just think of the potential for harming the wrong folks with a shot that missed its mark.

There are no easy answers to the problem. Obviously a gun is not the only tool one should have.

Yesterday someone posted crime rate stats; NYC was amazingly down the list. Not sure I believe that, but that is what was shown.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Disagree. Lived in the city for the first 24 years of my life.
    The options are subway, bus, taxi. Private vehicle doesn't work very well- no place to park, expensive parking, too much congestion in almost all areas.
    Very true! Grew up in New York City (Washington Heights), and that's why I phrased my comment the way I did. The subway (which is better protected) was always the preferred method of travel. It got you there faster, and was usually both cleaner and safer. The bus was last resort.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

way to stereotype people in the inner city. good job.........

when i was in high school growing up in NYC, i rode the bus rather than the train because it was safer. buses were safer no matter what time of day or night it was.

oh, and i doubt anyone you'd see on the train or bus or taxi in NYC are likely to be legally carrying.

if i lived in NYC now, and could legally carry, i'd take the bus or train, rather than drive, because it's mroe economical.

think before you type.
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; December 2nd, 2008 at 03:44 PM.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Very true! Grew up in New York City (Washington Heights), and that's why I phrased my comment the way I did. The subway (which is better protected) was always the preferred method of travel. It got you there faster, and was usually both cleaner and safer. The bus was last resort.
    I've got a store in Inwood, just North of the Heights.....I don't know when you left but you should see what the rents are now and how many Sheeple have moved in....clueless about how they should act in the city. They think that they are blessed or something when they walk down 10th Ave in the dark....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    The subway (which is better protected) was always the preferred method of travel. It got you there faster, and was usually both cleaner and safer. The bus was last resort.
    Not sure I agree... I just moved outta NYC (upper west side, 4 years) and I only saw fights on the subway or platforms. The NYC buses were mostly filled with elderly and handicapped. The buses I have seen have been cleaner too! Especially in off hours, the Subway can get shady.

food for thought... stuff can happen anywhere.

Links