Bad: Boy, Age 5, Shoots Sister, Age 2

This is a discussion on Bad: Boy, Age 5, Shoots Sister, Age 2 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is NO EXCUSE for these type of events occurring, and do not talk to me about teaching them no touch. Properly store your firearms ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Boy, Age 5, Shoots Sister, Age 2

Bad: Boy, Age 5, Shoots Sister, Age 2

There is NO EXCUSE for these type of events occurring, and do not talk to me about teaching them no touch. Properly store your firearms and ammunition. If not carried on the body then store them some place that a child cannot locate them or preferably stored locked up. Jeebus!

Yet another incident for the Brady Campaign tabulators, and this will go down as two not one because both children were traumatized. :grr:

This like many of the others similar and same is a case of poor parenting and child endangerment.
    Do not be this parent/guardian and act responsibly.

---

As featured at ABCNews.com:

Boy, Age 5, Shoots Sister, Age 2
    Boy wounds 2-year-old sister with a shot fired to her hand.

Video report - ABC News

- Janq is tired of hearing about children suffering from firearm related completely and easily avoided injuries in their own home, and at that of relatives or 'friends'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Absolutely NOTHING infuriates me more than this type of parental irresponsibility!

Such people need to be held criminally liable for child endangerment and responsible gun owners should lead the way in demanding it.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Agreed David, 100%.

And I'm weary of hearing; '...When I was a kid my grandpa had his <fill in the blank hunting rifle/shotgun> behind the bedroom door and in a gun cabinet that was unlocked and had no doors. We knew to never touch it...'.

Yeah well Mayberry R.F.D. was canceled a long time ago and now we live in the real and current world where completely unnecessary and avoidable crap like this occurs _weekly_.

Now we have a 5 yr. old who likely will be traumatized for LIFE and will likely always associate guns with bad things, bad people, and bad results.
    Same goes for his sister who quite possibly will suffer the hand injury for the remainder of her life.
    Same goes for the mother of these children and the father too, regardless of who actually owns the firearm and who left it out that a FIVE year old could access it.
    Same goes for the childrens friends. And their parents. And the relatives of these children, and their own children too.
    And this further entrenches the attitudes and views of people unrelated to this family who just as I had happen to come across this story and are appalled.

One stupid and completely avoidable act of negligence on the part of an adult, parent!, results in a wide and deep trickle down of negative for we otherwise safe, sane, and responsible firearms owners and enthusiasts. As well as firearms manufacturers and associated industry persons too from ammo dealers to the folk who underwrite gun shows.
    Incidents like this in the singular affect a wide swath of people including people who otherwise have zero relation to this childs ignorant parent.

I know tonight my wife who is a fervent anti will bring this event up to me over dinner under the guise of see there goes another incident with those damn guns!
    And I'll be left sitting there trying to explain for the umpteenth time to she, and my five yr. old daughter (turns six this weekend) and two yr. old son, that I...DaDa...am not the same as that childs doofus dad, or mom, and that in fact firearms are not unsafe when handled and stored correctly.
    Fools acting foolish like in this situation do nothing but make a whole wide swath of peoples lives hard for no reason of their own.

If I sound like I'm pissed and annoyed and aggravated it is because I am just that, and I will not apologize for as much either.
    This kind of incidents and the others from last week and the week before that and the week before that are ridiculous and simply needs to stop. And it can if WE gun owners would quite simply police themselves, regardless of what town, state, or federal laws might be mandated, and quite simply just act right.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    There is NO EXCUSE for these type of events occurring, and do not talk to me about teaching them no touch. Properly store your firearms and ammunition. If not carried on the body then store them some place that a child cannot locate them or preferably stored locked up....
    Thank you!
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

That sucks...even good kids are still kids. I'm with you, Janq. Just because some of us survived a childhood without seatbelts doesn't mean it's OK the let the kids go without today.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

i didn't get guns until my kids were grown, meaning over the age of 13.

I did this because my father locked his guns, but I found a way to get to them. I new where the keys were. I never pointed it at anyone, but took it out to hold it.

Now my kids are 15 and 18, way old enough to know better.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Sad story, just sad and infuriating. I agree, get a $200 safe if nothing else. Lock them or carry it on your person. This should be done in ADDITION to education, not in lieu of.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    Florida provides criminal penalties for leaving a firearm where a minor child can access it.

I hope they charge the gun owner and impose the maximum penalty.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

That's real sad, it's just amazing that people are still so uneducated in firearm safety in this day and age,expesially around children. I wonder if it's "it wont happen to me" mentality.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I really don't know what to say to this...Until I was 10 or so there was always a shotgun unlocked and easily accessible to me if I wanted it.. but I always knew (even before I was told) not to touch it unless I was invited to by my father.. I think he told me Once and that was before I was ever even interested in it that I am not to touch it without him around.. not sure what ever happened to this gun.. I think it broke and we just never got it repaired and never bought another one.. I know it was pretty old.

People must teach their kids about firearms if they have them in the house(id prefer they were taught even if they aren't in the house but good luck getting the sheeple to do that) locked up or not kids need to be taught firearms are a serious piece of engineering and playing with them can result in horrible consequences... just locking them up and keeping the kid totally isolated is only going to make them want to get to them more.. when they finally break into that 'cabinet' that they've never seen the inside of they're just going to grab the first thing that looks cool and start playing around with it not knowing any better since you never taught them anything about what these 'cool looking sticks' are, next thing you know you're whole family is dead with little Johnny standing in the middle with your ar-15...

My wife and I have no kids at home. But we have some family who visit along with their . . . a. . . . let me say, "rowdy" kids.

They know to call before they come so I can make sure all firearms are in my big safe (I don't trust the night stand gun vaults to withstand the onslaught of these animals).

The phrase "responsible gun owner" comes to mind.

I agree with Janq. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of tragedy.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

VIP Member

And then who will raise the kids

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Florida provides criminal penalties for leaving a firearm where a minor child can access it.

I hope they charge the gun owner and impose the maximum penalty.

Matt
    And then who will raise the kids? In theory, both adults in the home have a shared responsibility for keeping the gun out of the hands of the kid in the first place. So, yeah, put both parents in jail and figure out how to raise the kids without their parents?

Some things don't have easy answers. People do stupid things all the time, and not everything that is stupid should be unlawful or be punished. This one is, and should be, but still there are limits to what can be done in a practical way to punish.

I'd want to know a whole lot more about the parents before I would advocate criminal penalties for them. They might actually be great parents.

Everyone here who preaches on this issue is certain it couldn't happen in their home. I think it can't happen in mine because I don't have kids at home (but on rare occasions we have had company and I didn't get advanced warning to lock em up).

I sure did once get the byjeebees scared out of me when mine was 10 y.o. Long story, and at least he didn't touch the gun, but he sure scared mom and dad because we thought he locked himself in the room where we kept it.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Some things don't have easy answers. People do stupid things all the time, and not everything that is stupid should be unlawful or be punished. This one is, and should be, but still there are limits to what can be done in a practical way to punish.

Everyone here who preaches on this issue is certain it couldn't happen in their home. I think it can't happen in mine because I don't have kids at home (but on rare occasions we have had company and I didn't get advanced warning to lock em up).
    I generally agree Hop. Although I am angry and frustrated with what occurred, I am also reminded of the recent Chief of Police accidental shooting of himself. However, with children, there also a level of responsibility and accountability to keep them safe and secure to take into consideration. If they are harmed because of my negligence (like a car seat or seat belt), then whose fault?

Rick

Completely preventable...no excuses...

It's why I carry on my person and keep two safes.

Stay armed...protect your tools...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Absolutely NOTHING infuriates me more than this type of parental irresponsibility!

Such people need to be held criminally liable for child endangerment and responsible gun owners should lead the way in demanding it.

You couldn't have said it better.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links