Open for Debate: Saugerties man admits to gun charge

This is a discussion on Open for Debate: Saugerties man admits to gun charge within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (This is my home town, and he was apparently carrying illegally at a restaurant I frequent often.) KINGSTON — A former Saugerties restaurant employee pleaded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open for Debate: Saugerties man admits to gun charge

(This is my home town, and he was apparently carrying illegally at a restaurant I frequent often.)

KINGSTON — A former Saugerties restaurant employee pleaded guilty in Ulster County Court Monday to charges related to his arrest for coming to work with a loaded, stolen .38-caliber Colt automatic pistol tucked in his waistband, according to the Ulster County District Attorney’s Office.

Benjamin Squires, 20, entered the guilty plea to felony criminal possession of a weapon before County Judge J. Michael Bruhn. Squires is expected to be sentenced to the mandatory minimum sentence of three years in state prison and five years of post-release supervision because he has no prior criminal record, said Assistant District Attorney Tracy Steeves, who prosecuted the case.

The maximum sentence would be 15 years in state prison, she said.

Squires was arrested when a co-worker at the New World Home Cooking restaurant saw the gun and called 911 earlier this year, the District Attorney’s Office said.

Steeves said he brought the gun to work for “self-protection” but did not have a permit for the gun — which police learned had been stolen from a New York City Police Department patrolman in 1972, authorities said.

Authorities believe the defendant bought the gun on Henry Street in the city of Kingston.

Squires is slated to be sentenced on Feb. 9, 2009. He was represented by Ulster County Public Defender Jonathan Sennett.

Saugerties man admits to gun charge - The Daily Freeman News: Serving the Hudson Valley since 1871(DailyFreeman.com)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Appears to be a simple product of an issue-when-hades-freezes-over state (NY). Bad decision. Worse laws.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    NY gun laws suck, but he knew the chances he was taking. Sometimes when you roll the dice they come up snake eyes and you have to accept it.

To bad his sentencing is before Plexico Burress' sentencing date. If he gets off with a slap on the wrist, when he not only carried illegally, but had a ND, he might be able to at least try and argue disparity in sentencing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It would seem there are a lot of gun laws on the books that turn perfectly fine people into felons, mostly because of bureaucratic nonsense!

VIP Member
    Perfectly fine people don't carry guns in places where possession is clearly and well known to be illegal. He may be tripped up some in the sentencing, as the gun was a stolen one, but he was the one who decided to carry illegally.

I'd hold a different position, and a more lenient one, if the guy somehow did something without knowledge that it was illegal; but anyone living in NY ought to know that carrying without a license is illegal. (e.g., if someone from the NE mistakenly open carried in Texas I could sort of understand that they didn't understand). In fact, in most places carrying without a license is illegal.

People who deliberately violate laws for their convenience will be violating more than one if they are given the chance. That is why dealing with scofflaws and quality of life code violations is important. Doing so uncovers folks who are doing other worse stuff too.

I wouldn't step foot in NY with the picture of a gun on my t-shirt - just not a good idea. People that live there have to know their state's gun laws or face the consequences.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I'm more interested in his gun! "Colt 38 caliber automatic" could mean 38 ACP or 38 Super... both of which are quite desirable. Stories like that hurt. It's like reading about the crackhead trying to trade their grandfathers Singer 1911 for $40 worth of crack.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    I'm more interested in his gun! "Colt 38 caliber automatic" could mean 38 ACP or 38 Super... both of which are quite desirable. Stories like that hurt. It's like reading about the crackhead trying to trade their grandfathers Singer 1911 for $40 worth of crack.
    Probably just misreported. I bet it was a 38spl revolver.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Hard to believe he is going away for so long. I live in Upstate NY and I got my Full Carry for me and the Mrs. in about 6 weeks. The Gun Permits are easier to get Upstate. You can even bring in a illegal gun and get it registered in your name (if it is clean). It is amnesty laws in NY we have in NY. I know, I did it.
    www.licensed2carry.com Tactical and Undercover Solutions for Men AND Women!

The key word here is "STOLEN".
    Don't lose sight of that fact.
    The laws for having a stolen gun on him,
    concealed or not is what put him in jail.
    If you have a gun on you that you are not sure
    if its hot or not ,then its on you head
    if you get busted with it .
    SHAME ON YOU for buying a hot gun.
    just my .02
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I think the key word in my last statement was Amnesty. I agree if you get caught with one on the street, you are toast. My point was that he should have gotten his permit and worked out the hot gun through the right way by turning it in. He might have gotten it registered to himself if it missed on the serial check.
    www.licensed2carry.com Tactical and Undercover Solutions for Men AND Women!

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Probably just misreported. I bet it was a 38spl revolver.
    Agreed, and was my very first thought.
    Locating 38 Super ammo on the streets is not usual, same as say .454 Casull or .45 Long Colt.
    Most probably it's a .38 revolver.

Also agreed Hopyard.
    This is not a case of OMG I didn't know there were laws n' stuff.
    Further he did not buy the firearm from a gun shop, he got it off the streets. That right there very much leads to intent in so far as adherence to legality by mindset.

Yet another criminal minded person doing criminal things only to be caught and subsequently convicted, criminally.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by CCW Jackets View Post
    Hard to believe he is going away for so long. I live in Upstate NY and I got my Full Carry for me and the Mrs. in about 6 weeks.
    I'm impressed that you got it in 6 weeks. It usually takes 4 months or more in most parts of the state.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    He'll probably be able to beat the 'stolen weapon' charge........Weapon was stolen 36 years ago.....He's only 20........So he didn't steal it!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    He'll probably be able to beat the 'stolen weapon' charge........Weapon was stolen 36 years ago.....He's only 20........So he didn't steal it!
    Yeah, but possession of stolen property...if you buy a gun out of the back of a truck in a shady part of town (or whatever) it's not like anyone would expect it to NOT be stolen.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links