Update on boy killed by Uzi

This is a discussion on Update on boy killed by Uzi within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Update on this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=uzi+boy+head Police chief, gun club indicted in boy's Uzi death from The Associated Press SPRINGFIELD, Mass. December 4, 2008, 11:55 am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on boy killed by Uzi

Update on this thread:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=uzi+boy+head

Police chief, gun club indicted in boy's Uzi death
    from The Associated Press

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. December 4, 2008, 11:55 am ET A police chief and a gun club in western Massachusetts have been indicted on charges of involuntary manslaughter in the death of an 8-year-old boy who accidentally shot himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun at a gun fair.

Pelham Police Chief Edward Fleury owns the COP Firearms & Training, which sponsored the gun show last month in Westfield.

Christopher Bizilj (bah-SEAL') of Ashford, Conn., shot himself in the head when he lost control of the 9mm micro submachine gun as it recoiled while he was firing at a pumpkin.

The Westfield Sportsman's Club and two other men also were indicted on involuntary manslaughter charges.

Hampden County District Attorney William Bennett said Fleury and the club also face four charges of furnishing a machine gun to a minor.

Fleury and the club did not immediately return calls for comment.

My question is why isn't the dad implicated in all of this (not that he needs more pain and suffering at the moment)?

The dad probably wasn't implicated since it wasn't his firearm. Just a bad deal all around and a young boy is dead.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Good question Bonehead...suck as it is that he lost his son the dad is just as guilty as those implicated, if there is guilt to be assessed and spread around.

I wonder how this will be handled toward the club itself and it's board, and how will member themselves be directly affected. I'm glad I did not renew my membership there this past season. :\

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Nothing for the dad? Nothing for the person who allowed his son to try it out? I wouldn't hold the gun club totally innocent, but surely the dad is the proximate cause. I wonder if he had to sign any forms denying liability to the club?

In hindsight, someone from the club (who was familiar with the weapon) should have been standing on the other side of the kid.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    IMHO, 8 year olds should not be allowed to touch a weapon of any kind even under the strictest supervision.

The adults there were idiots.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    IMHO, 8 year olds should not be allowed to touch a weapon of any kind even under the strictest supervision.

I don't disagree with you, but I have a feeling you'll get a lot of flack for this comment....

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    My question is: why would you let an 8 yr old boy fire a subcompact UZI with a)no initial training and b) no aid/supervision by means of standing there making sure he didn't lose control of the weapon?

I feel horrible that a tragic accident occurred and terrible for the father of the boy.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

bonehead, you sure can get these news threads up quick! Good job!
    I just heard on the local news about a half hour ago that the kids supervision during the tragic accident was a fifteen year old???? Not sure if they got that one right or not, can it get any worse?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

My own experiences as a child differ greatly from your feeling. My Dad took me shooting with his Cold Woodman at age 3, resulting in my lifelong love of the shooting sports. But he did supervise closely, and reminded me constantly of safety - thus I never damaged anything unintentionally with firearms.

There was that one incident at age 10, when I was trying to solder shut the fuse opening of my home-made grenade (15-gram CO2 cartridge, scraped match-head powder, and model rocket fuse). He came up behind me, took one look, slapped me on the back of my head and said "what the h**l do you think you're doing?"

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer58 View Post
    My own experiences as a child differ greatly from your feeling. My Dad took me shooting with his Cold Woodman at age 3, resulting in my lifelong love of the shooting sports. But he did supervise closely, and reminded me constantly of safety - thus I never damaged anything unintentionally with firearms.

There was that one incident at age 10, when I was trying to solder shut the fuse opening of my home-made grenade (15-gram CO2 cartridge, scraped match-head powder, and model rocket fuse). He came up behind me, took one look, slapped me on the back of my head and said "what the h**l do you think you're doing?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .....did it work?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer58 View Post
    Same thing happened to me, I thought I was the only one who made those CO2 cartridge grenades. Only difference was I was 14, pydrodex, and used tape not solder. Put's a whole new spin on the "you'll put your eye out with that thing".

I had the priveledge of firing an 870 SBS and FA Uzi at 9 y/o. The owner was very damn careful to stand basically around me,and help me secure the weapons.

Folks, anything improperly handled, can kill. The owner(s) of the weapon bear ultimate responsibility, since, by allowing others to use the device, they were attesting to the safety of the device and the competence of the shooter.

An eight year given a fully loaded micro uzi was a very poor judgement call. I am familiar with the 9 mm mac machine pistols and would never hand over something smaller, that likely did not have a shoulder stock to an eight year old. The kid would not at that age have sufficient body size to control it on full auto.

Maybe with 1 round loaded in the mag ok, but a full magazine, no way.

bae

My grandfathers taught me to shoot when I was 6.

I started teaching my daughter at the same age. This year, she cleaned up at the local club's turkey shoot, and she's only 11. Using her own rifle that she received as a Christmas present when she was 10.

Thanks for the update. There's a video report on the update out now:

OVN
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links