Jihad Update (Fox News)

Jihad Update (Fox News)

This is a discussion on Jihad Update (Fox News) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I post this not to alarm, but to inform... Official story from Fox News - 12/04/08 Dozens of young Somali men in the Minneapolis-St. Paul ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jihad Update (Fox News)

I post this not to alarm, but to inform...

Official story from Fox News - 12/04/08

Dozens of young Somali men in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area have disappeared in recent months, causing community members and U.S. intelligence officials to fear that they are joining jihadist groups in Somalia.

Officials are especially concerned that some of the men may be destined to return to the U.S. after they have received terrorist training.

The missing young men have been the focus of some attention since late October, when Shirwa Ahmed, a naturalized U.S. citizen, died in a suicide bombing in northern Somalia. Ahmed was a 1999 graduate of Minneapolis's Roosevelt High School.

The Twin Cities media have reported that a number of other young Somali men estimates range from six to 40 have disappeared from the area. Multiple sources within the local Somali community and U.S. government fear that these men may have returned to Somalia to train, or to participate in jihad against the country's secular transitional federal government (TFG).

The TFG has lost ground to Islamist insurgents since early 2007; its primary protection comes from Ethiopian forces that intervened in Somalia in late 2006.

"I've come across 10 to 15 mothers crying because their sons are missing," said Omar Jamal, executive director of the Minneapolis-based Somali Justice Advocacy Center.

A senior U.S. military intelligence analyst said the number may be even higher, since not all of the families whose sons have gone abroad will report it.

Jamal said the Somali community has seen young men disappear in a number of countries across the world, including Canada, the Netherlands and Australia. Multiple sources within the Somali community have corroborated this account.

Dahir Jibreel, who previously served as the TFG's permanent secretary in charge of international cooperation, said, "Other young Somalis went missing in Europe, Saudi Arabia and elsewhere." Jibreel said many of the disappearances occurred simultaneously.

The Somali men who have vanished in Minneapolis are diverse in their education level and job prospects. Some were reportedly linked to Somali gangs, while others have been described as intelligent and studious. Some attended college and appeared to have good job prospects.

There is little evidence that these men were radicalized when they entered the U.S.

Abdiweli Ali, an associate professor of economics at Niagara University and a former adviser to the TFG, said young Somalis are being targeted for indoctrination.

"There's a huge underclass," he said, "and the kids get involved in gangs and drugs. So every time a kid goes to hang out in the mosque, the parents see that as good. They encourage their kids to go to after-school programs with religion, to youth groups at the mosque."

The youths are susceptible to "brainwashing," Ali said. "They are very young, susceptible to any kind of indoctrination. All you need is one rogue imam who tells them the wrong things, and they are susceptible to that."

A senior American intelligence source confirms that Somalis have vanished in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Australia, adding that some people from the Caribbean also appear to have left for Somalia. And not all of the people bound for training or jihad in Somalia have a Somali background, the source said.

A man who appears to be Caucasian and is aligned with the Somalia-based terrorist group Shabaab can be seen in a recent jihadist video, and another gave an interview with al-Jazeera (though he wore a facemask when doing so). The source said that at least three African-Americans from the Minneapolis area also are suspected of traveling to Somalia to join jihadist groups.

While Somalis in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area have been puzzled by the simultaneous disappearances in multiple countries, the intelligence source says it can be explained by the reopening of certain training facilities in Somalia, such as those in Ras Kamboni. "School is open for business, so the demand has gone up," he said.

The intelligence source said there is a transportation network in place to move fighters to Somalia, including Ruben Luis Shumpert (a Seattle-area barber who was killed this year while fighting for the Shabaab) and Daniel Joseph Maldonado (a U.S. citizen who was arrested in 2007 for undergoing terrorist training). The network apparently has provided forged passports on some occasions, he said.

It is not clear is who is funding the expensive cost of traveling to Somalia. Virtually all of the Somalis who have disappeared in Minneapolis are from impoverished backgrounds.

The size of the recruiting network in the U.S. isn't known, and estimates vary widely. But a major concern is what will happen when these young men return to the U.S. after having undergone terrorist training or participated in combat.

"Ethiopia has announced that they are planning to withdraw from Somalia," said the intelligence source. "So this problem is just going to get worse."

Maybe now is the time to write the state reps to repeal restricitive gun control laws.

Same similar occurred across the US when the Bosnia situation boiled over.
    Bosnian men and relatives were hopping planes and boats to go back to their homeland to train and fight. That was at the time featured in mainstream press.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

And when they come back what can we expect to have happen here? Just one more reason I carry always. The people in India even after the police arrived were still being killed by the terrorists. The police did nothing. Not that my little 9mm is much protection against an AK47 but it is better than nothing.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

When folk who went off to fight in Bosnia came back, those who were not shot down by snipers or tortured by opposing forces, there were no concerns nor notable issues with them.

Somalia is just another country that ends in 'a'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well, I got news for them jihadist fellas. I train right here on the home turf...down home backwoods ji-golly training. They can train in the urban jungle, or the desert, or wherever. My turf is a place they won't want to go....they can never train for the redneck jungle. I wanna be their nightmare.

Touble with your theory is.....

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    When folk who went off to fight in Bosnia came back, those who were not shot down by snipers or tortured by opposing forces, there were no concerns nor notable issues with them.

Somalia is just another country that ends in 'a'.

- Janq
    They went to Bosnia to fight in Bosnia. Are these guys being trained to fight over there somehwhere, or come back here to cause trouble? We don't know and I am going to error on the side of caution and say they may come back here to cause trouble.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Could it be possible they have gone underground for some mission here in the U.S.?

Well, I got news for them jihadist fellas. I train right here on the home turf...down home backwoods ji-golly training. They can train in the urban jungle, or the desert, or wherever. My turf is a place they won't want to go....they can never train for the redneck jungle. I wanna be their nightmare.
    You know, it just doesn't take that much training to build, wear, arm, and then detonate a bomb. Of course, bombings in the redneck jungle are historically quite familiar here in the South, no?
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    You know, it just doesn't take that much training to build, wear, arm, and then detonate a bomb. Of course, bombings in the redneck jungle are historically quite familiar here in the South, no?
    You surely didn't think that all of that firewood downed in the south and sold in stores in the north is cut down with chainsaws do you?

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    They went to Bosnia to fight in Bosnia. Are these guys being trained to fight over there somehwhere, or come back here to cause trouble? We don't know and I am going to error on the side of caution and say they may come back here to cause trouble.
    Thing is with no further information there is no good and valid reason to assume they are off to train toward returning to here (US) or anywhere else other than Somalia to apply themselves.

Thus far there is no difference between the two instances Bosnia and Somalia. Both are undergoing civil war and both are entreating their sons to return and fight for their mother land.
    Which is nothing new as Somalia has been on boil in conflict for 30 or 40 years now.

- Janq

If they are up to no good, I'd say it is pretty likely they will come back via somewhere like Mexico or maybe even Canada and attempt a border crossing at that point. I'm sure they're already on "the list" so its not going to be possible to at least fly into the US via conventional customs and immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    RR,

I wouldn't be concerned if I were you where you are.
    Arkansas is not a hot bed of American society nor is it an area of high impact potential.

Major metroplex areas on either coast along with a handful of areas within the heartland are far more likely points of Jihadi focus.
    And definitely not Somali (!) or some other Jihadist minded type persons would be spending time to harass persons amongst "backwoods" areas. To do so would make no sense at all.
    These people are zealots but they aren't stupid. The action at Mumbai is just the latest example of as much.

Rest assured you're far more likely to be roused from your sleep at home or in a deer stand amongst the backwoods by a domestic terrorist, such as an opportunity motivated burglar and/or Timothy McVeigh/Unabomber, who looks and speaks just like you than to have a Jihadi minded foreign to your area person stop by just to blow or shoot you up.

- Janq

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I like your sense of humor !!!

I'm not going to loose sleep on this one.
    There are a lot more pressing events happening or about to happen here now.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    RR,

I wouldn't be concerned if I were you where you are.
    Arkansas is not a hot bed of American society nor is it an area of high impact potential.

Major metroplex areas on either coast along with a handful of areas within the heartland are far more likely points of Jihadi focus.
    And definitely not Somali (!) or some other Jihadist minded type persons would be spending time to harass persons amongst "backwoods" areas. To do so would make no sense at all.
    These people are zealots but they aren't stupid. The action at Mumbai is just the latest example of as much.

Rest assured you're far more likely to be roused from your sleep at home or in a deer stand amongst the backwoods by a domestic terrorist, such as an opportunity motivated burglar and/or Timothy McVeigh/Unabomber, who looks and speaks just like you than to have a Jihadi minded foreign to your area person stop by just to blow or shoot you up.

- Janq
    Really? I see these types at Wal Mart all the time...wrapped in brown bed sheets. Tell me I shouldn't be worried when their cell phone rings while they are examining a bag of tofu. Way too many mini vans in the parking lot for me not to believe they are being used as APC's

Huh..brown bed sheets?
    Are you sure they aren't Hare Krishna, a faith of people who are non-violence following pacifists.

They sell tofu in the backwoods?!1

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links