'Gifts for Guns' Gets Record Haul

This is a discussion on 'Gifts for Guns' Gets Record Haul within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Didn't see it yet, running on Fox News http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,463172,00.html LOS ANGELES — A program to exchange guns for gifts has brought in a record number ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Gifts for Guns' Gets Record Haul

Didn't see it yet, running on Fox News
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,463172,00.html

LOS ANGELES — A program to exchange guns for gifts has brought in a record number of weapons this year as residents hit hard by the economy look under the bed and in closets to find items to trade for groceries.

The annual Gifts for Guns program wound down Sunday in Compton, a working class city south of Los Angeles that has long struggled with gun and gang violence. In a program similar to ones in New York and San Francisco, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department allows residents to anonymously relinquish firearms in return for $100 gift cards for Ralphs supermarkets, Target department stores or Best Buy electronics stores.

Turning in assault rifles yields double that amount.

In years past, Target and Best Buy were the cards of choice, with residents wanting presents for the holidays.

This year, most asked for the supermarket cards, said sheriff's Sgt. Byron Woods.

"People just don't have the money to buy the food these days," he said.

Deputies expected to collect about 1,000 weapons this year. Authorities said 590 guns and two hand grenades were handed in during the last weekend in November, more than the total collected in any year and eclipsing last year's 387 guns.

Woods said most of the residents who turned in weapons were "family people."

"One guy said he had just got laid off from his job," Woods said. "He turned in five guns and said it would really help him to put food on the family's table."

Gun owners dropped their weapons off at a local grocery store parking lot. Deputies checked the weapons to see if they had been used in crimes, then destroyed them.

The annual drive started in 2005 after a spike in killings, though the murder rate had since dropped.

One man brought in a Soviet-era semiautomatic carbine.

"If that got into the wrong hands of gangbangers, they could kill several people within minutes," Woods said. "Our biggest fear is a house getting burglarized and these guns getting taken."

The drive also has yielded antique weapons.

Gift cards for the guns exchange were paid mostly by Los Angeles County, but the three companies involved and the city of Compton, which contracts the county for police protection, also donated funds.

My favorite part is "If that got into the wrong hands of gangbangers, they could kill several people within minutes," Woods said. "Our biggest fear is a house getting burglarized and these guns getting taken."

Or maybe the robbers can just shoot the unarmed homeowners, all for a measly $100. If these jerks would give a fair price for the guns maybe the people could spare to keep a gun or two and still have something to defend themselves with.
    Last edited by j21blackjack; December 7th, 2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Added link

This doesn't make sense to me.....If I needed money that bad that I had to get rid of my guns it wouldn't be for a $100 dollar gift card!!!! Why wouldn't they sell them for what they are worth? Unless it's less than $100 but not too many are.

About the only way I would give up a gun is if was totally broken beyond repair. I'm pretty sure they accept broken guns too.

Wow, maybe we need to start an "unofficial" version of gifts for guns. $100 per gun, $200 per assault rifle? At that price, I'd buy guns all day, except they wouldn't get destroyed, and they wouldn't be used in crimes either.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

+1!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    This program makes me sick to think about it. I cant believe people will give away their guns for a gift certificate. Some of them are giving away family heirlooms. What a waste.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

all yall hurry up and trade in your assault rifles now...sheeees
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Authorities said 590 guns and two hand grenades were handed in
    But aren't hand grenades illegal??? They must have bought them through the "gun show loophole"

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    But aren't hand grenades illegal??? They must have bought them through the "gun show loophole"
    Aren't hand grenades legal class 3 devices if registered properly?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporty79 View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me.....If I needed money that bad that I had to get rid of my guns it wouldn't be for a $100 dollar gift card!!!! Why wouldn't they sell them for what they are worth? Unless it's less than $100 but not too many are.
    Well if you have not noticed, there are ALOT of stupid people walking on this Earth. Never wonder why some people will just never get ahead?????

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    imagine... be a gangsta, kill somebody with a gun, turn it in to the authorities for proper disposal & get a $100 bonus on top of that. Is this a great country or what?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

the two grenadas are a nice touch i bet they were old nam nades, i dont even know how to get a grenade, Lord knows if i did i would have a crap load of them, properly registered of course
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

VIP Member
    I still think the way to go is buy a bunch of cheap BB guns and turn them in, making a profit on them. Your happy because you bought the BB gun for $20-30 and redeemed it for $100. Anti's are happy because they got a weapon of mass destruction off the streets!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    imagine... be a gangsta, kill somebody with a gun, turn it in to the authorities for proper disposal & get a $100 bonus on top of that. Is this a great country or what?

How many of those 500+ guns do you suppose were legal?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

How many were 50.00 guns that got sold for a profit,the reference to the sks was amusing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links