OSBI: Muskogee man shot, killed during robbery

This is a discussion on OSBI: Muskogee man shot, killed during robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good for the victim in a gun free zone! OSBI: Muskogee man shot, killed during robbery MUSKOGEE - Investigators say a 21-year-old Muskogee man was ...

Thread: OSBI: Muskogee man shot, killed during robbery

Good for the victim in a gun free zone!
    MUSKOGEE - Investigators say a 21-year-old Muskogee man was shot to death after he and another man tried to rob a Northeastern State University student.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agent Vicky Lyons says Jaymee Brewer died at the scene late Thursday night near a Muskogee apartment complex.

Lyons says Brewer and 21-year-old Bogere Ssettimba of Tulsa were attempting to rob a NSU student when the student drew a gun and shot at the pair.

Ssettimba also is a student at NSU and was taken into custody Friday on the campus.

The robbery victim was arrested on a weapons violation and later released on bond, but officials have not released his name.

The victim should have been given an award. Only second place though because he didn't get both of them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Arrested on a weapons violation....if he hadn't been armed he wouldn't of been able to defend himself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Now I'm betting he'll get expelled and will never be able to finish his degree because of him simply exercising his right to defend himself.

Great thing, the way things are in this country (sarcasm). I guess it could be worse, but that's no excuse.

The robbery victim was arrested on a weapons violation and later released on bond, but officials have not released his name.
    It's a pretty sad place you live in when you're arrested for defending yourself and saving your life.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Now I'm betting he'll get expelled and will never be able to finish his degree because of him simply exercising his right to defend himself.

Great thing, the way things are in this country (sarcasm). I guess it could be worse, but that's no excuse.
    I'm willing to bet that if he is expelled there will be a major lawsuit filed. Expelled for excising his 2nd amendment rights, I see a bunch of lawyers jumping on this one.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The victim should have been given an award. Only second place though because he didn't get both of them.
    I'll drink to that.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post

So what if he gets expelled. He'll just transfer his credits. Maybe to some place in Utah or Colorado State.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that if he is expelled there will be a major lawsuit filed. Expelled for excising his 2nd amendment rights, I see a bunch of lawyers jumping on this one.
    Indeed. Pro bono as well. This could be a precedent case, or could be easily swept under the carpet IMO.

Its retarded that only the bad guys can carry guns on campus.. I think if you are of legal age in the state you should be able to exercise your right.. How sad that people die becuase law makers hate guns.. They blame events such as Virginia Tech on the presents of Guns. I think the opposite. I blame the lack of guns.
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    If he did so, that would definitely have to become a major case as it would challenge the validity of basically every gun ban on campuses across the nation. Technically, the state or whatnot, but it would have repercussions across the country.

It could be a good thing, but given that this kid is a college student (like me), the only way he could do it is if he had a lawyer do it pro-bono. Otherwise we can't afford such things.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Guys...read it again...it wasn't on school grounds but at an apartment complex. The weapons charge could be many things...under age, previous conviction, no CCL. Could even be gang related. He could be in big doodoo...but at least he is breathing. I think the least of his worries is staying in school.

Rick

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...k_NOV_2007.pdf
    From page 65 of the booklet

G. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is
    attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

H. A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle of another person is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.

I. A person who uses force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections B and D of this section, is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of
    such force. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution”
    includes charging or prosecuting the defendant.

J. A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for
    investigating the use of force, but the law enforcement agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is
    probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

K. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs,
    compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the
    defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the
    court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection F of this section.

L. The provisions of this section and the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1290.1 through 1290.26 of this title, shall not be construed to require any person using a pistol pursuant to the
    provisions of this section to be licensed in any manner

In reading this it seems to me the intent was to make it clear that you didn't need a license to use deadly force when needed.
    Could the prosecutors be trying to make an end run around the intent by charging him with a simple weapons possession charge?

Michael

Sponsored Links