BAD - CVS clerk shot during robbery. Tampa, FL.

BAD - CVS clerk shot during robbery. Tampa, FL.

This is a discussion on BAD - CVS clerk shot during robbery. Tampa, FL. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Son Called Dad After Being Shot By Robber I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods, but lately, it seems like ...

Angry BAD - CVS clerk shot during robbery. Tampa, FL.

Son Called Dad After Being Shot By Robber

I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods, but lately, it seems like there's at least 1 robbery story in my local news every day!
    Watch your six!

The story...

Son Called Dad After Being Shot By RobberADVERTISEMENT

By NEIL JOHNSON

Published: December 8, 2008

TAMPA - Seconds after Samuel McGinnis asked a clown-masked robber not to hurt anyone in a CVS drugstore, the gunman shot him a second time - point blank in the chest.

McGinnis, 26, the night supervisor, already had been shot in the leg. He didn't know that a second bullet had crashed through his body, piercing nearly every organ in his torso.

"He thought he'd been kicked," his father, Gene McGinnis, said Sunday.

Police are still searching for the man who held up the CVS at 1212 N. Dale Mabry Highway on Nov. 29.

As he was bleeding from two gunshot wounds, McGinnis called his father.

"He said, 'Pops, I've been shot. I just wanted to tell you I love you,'" Gene McGinnis said.

Then there was silence, leading Gene McGinnis to think the robbery was still going on.

"It was the scariest thing that any parent could hear in a child's voice. I heard the worst thing I've ever heard in my life," McGinnis said. But the worst was over, and his son is expected to make a full recovery after rehabilitation, though he may lose some feeling in his leg

He thinks someone in the store or on the street can help police find the gunman.

There is a reward of $10,000 - $5,000 from CVS and $5,000 from Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay - for information about the robber. Callers can remain anonymous.

Gene McGinnis is convinced that unless the gunman is caught he will shoot someone else.

"It's going to happen again," he said. "It's going to happen to somebody else's son."

Samuel McGinnis had just arrived for work after leaving his customer service job. He didn't realize the robbery was happening until a shot was fired into the ceiling. That was about 12:40 a.m. The man in the clown mask then demanded money.

Samuel McGinnis was climbing over a counter when he was shot the first time. The bullet hit his leg, shattering a bone and slicing through an artery.

On the floor and crawling to the registers, McGinnis was complying with the robber's orders to open the cash drawers. He had one out and was working on another when he was shot the second time, his father said.

The robber got away with about $80.

After calling his father, McGinnis used his belt as a tourniquet on his wounded leg. That probably saved his life, his father said.

When Gene McGinnis arrived at the hospital, it wasn't clear whether his son would live. He waited through five hours of surgery.

"It was one of the longest five hours of my life. I really didn't think he'd make it," Gene McGinnis said. "I paced a lot. I wished we'd gone fishing a little more."

Anyone with information can call the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office at (813) 274-8200 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-873-TIPS.

The dirtbags are everywhere...

Don't give them what they want.

Give them what they deserve.

Stay armed...give generously when ever the need arises...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow, calls his Dad after being shot twice to say "I love you". Glad he made it.
    Makes me hate these dirt bags even more, all for a stinking $80 bucks.
    Robberies are up here too, it's getting more & more dangerous to be out & about. Stay armed & alert.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

There has been a rise from Vero down to Miami
    Dunkin Donuts being the target of choice lately.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Give them what they deserve indeed. I think ret is right on the money there...It is sad that our wonderful Tampa Bay area has had so much of this stuff in the news recently. At least the vic is going to make it through. As a frequent late night CVS/Walmart shopper (due to work schedule), it is the stories like this that make me feel all the better knowing I have that trusty FNP-9 ready to do its part in keeping me alive...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Why is CVS is open at 12:40 AM?!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Why is CVS is open at 12:40 AM?!

- Janq
    At different locations CVS is open 24 hrs. I hope that kid have a speedy recovers
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Now I think this is one good kid coming from a good family. Gets shot and calls his dad to tell him he loves him. A loving family - thats what life is about. i bet the lousy perp can't even spell the word. Find the perp and lock his sorry butt up.
    NRA Member
    Ret. LEO

Does anyone know if CVS prohibits employees from concealed carry??

Quote Originally Posted by rogerswann View Post
    Does anyone know if CVS prohibits employees from concealed carry??
    As a past employee, I can say that they do indeed. I recall this specific debate arising between me (Pharm. Tech. at the time) and my conservative, pro-gun manager, when I voiced my concern about being on the late shift in the pharmacy (as I was the only male tech. on staff). Her answer, as a recall, was something along the lines of "If it was up to me..." To say the least, this didn't sit well with me considering there had been a recent string of robberies for narcotics at other stores in the area...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Quote Originally Posted by rappa View Post
    Son Called Dad After Being Shot By Robber

I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods, but lately, it seems like there's at least 1 robbery story in my local news every day!
    When I saw this I thought it was a thread from a CVS a little while back but it is a relatively new one. The one I was thinking about was another CVS in ST Pete back in April.

The price on the street for the oxcontin and the other drugs make these places a target. If they do not allow them to arm themselves at these 24 hr pharmacies they should have to hire armed security. They are just asking for trouble IMO.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    There has been a rise from Vero down to Miami
    Dunkin Donuts being the target of choice lately.
    Whoo Hooo you said Vero! My home town for the first 38 years of my life. My Mom and Dad, Sister, Daughter, SIL and Grandkids live there. Well actually my whole family is there.

Hmmm Im worried about that. My daughter manages the Denny's and my SIL Manages the Firehouse Subs place.

Man, this really ticks me off!!!

Makes me wish we really had the "eye for an eye, tooth for tooth" sort of laws. That dude needs to get it in the leg and chest - dude only $80!?! What would he do for $100?
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Links