(dumb)Woman accidentally shot at store

This is a discussion on (dumb)Woman accidentally shot at store within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No CWL, no holster, no gun handling skills. An elderly Jacksonville woman was accidentally shot in the leg at a Springfield grocery after the man ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (dumb)Woman accidentally shot at store

(dumb)Woman accidentally shot at store

No CWL, no holster, no gun handling skills.

An elderly Jacksonville woman was accidentally shot in the leg at a Springfield grocery after the man in front of her in line dropped a gun while trying to pay for his purchases.

Flossie Mae Bell, 70, told police she was waiting to cash out Friday afternoon at the Springfield Supperette, 1701 Pearl St., when the man in front of her dropped a leather pouch and she felt a pain in her legs. A store worker said he heard a loud pop like a firecracker.

Bell said she realized after leaning over that she had been shot, according to a police report. She was treated at Shands Jacksonville hospital, police said.

Police arrested Woodrow Monlyn Jr., 67, on a charge of carrying a concealed firearm. He remained in jail today in lieu of $15,000 bail.

Monlyn told police he got the .25 caliber derringer pistol for protection and had never carried it in public before. He said he didn't know he needed a permit, according to a police report.

Police said the store surveillance camera shows Monlyn's bag falling and Bell subsequently leaning down in pain.
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

What a yahoo - man, give a guy a gun, but ya can't teach 'im manners!
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Senior Moderator
    We have posted about this very thing in the past about pocket guns. Its never a good idea to put a bare gun in the pocket. A holster, is much better and safer.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Said he didn't know that he needed a permit... NOT!
    I wonder if he knows he needs jail time?

Stay armed...don't be stupid...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    A 67 y.o. claiming he didn't know he needed a permit is a bit of a stretch. The guy has lived on this earth well long enough to know this. I just can't imagine anyone NOT knowing a permit is needed. Either he is not telling the truth, and knows he was violating the law, or he perhaps has (early?) dementia. Accidents happen, but unlawful carry isn't an accident.

I'm glad she's ok. There's no fool like an old fool...and not to start a caliber war but 25s give me the shivers.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Good thing he wasn't driving a car he could have killed someone.

And also, why a derringer? Didn't they only recently start to come with drop safety mechanisms?

It seems if he was intent on .25, an autoloader would've been better... or maybe a BB gun would have been best for him.

This really is not a good thing to happen.

geez, im only 22yrs old and knew since i was old enough to know better that you needed a CC permit to carry concealed in public, hopefully this man learns his lesson and the woman doesnt suffer anymore problems because of this
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    We have posted about this very thing in the past about pocket guns. Its never a good idea to put a bare gun in the pocket. A holster, is much better and safer.
    Granted, the old guy is a total moron, but it does sound like it was in some type of a holster:
    when the man in front of her dropped a leather pouch and she felt a pain in her legs.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Hope the lady recovers without any after effects, when you start to get up in age it's harder to recover from a wound.

.25 caliber derringer pistol
    I wonder if the police actually said it was this type of weapon or if the news reporter just put this into the story, could it have been a Raven .25 auto?
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

I know that store. It is a very small corner store, but busy and actually a nice store. The area it is in is not the worst Jacksonville has to offer. Hardly anybody gets robbed/shot during daytime at that corner.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Evidently it is only dangerous to the elderly.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

I bet that .25 left a nasty pock mark in the skin. I hear that you can put out an eye with one of those if you're not careful.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Not sure I believe all that. I bet he knows better now. If you are going to carry , Know the laws of the state and most importantly GUN Safety. I here that I did nt know from my kids. I m Sorry won t get you by on this one I AM AFRAID.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links