Fired Employee Shoots, Kills CEO at Christmas Party

This is a discussion on Fired Employee Shoots, Kills CEO at Christmas Party within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Police: Fired Employee Shoots, Kills CEO at Christmas Party - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fired Employee Shoots, Kills CEO at Christmas Party

Fired Employee Shoots, Kills CEO at Christmas Party

FOXNews.com - Police: Fired Employee Shoots, Kills CEO at Christmas Party - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Police: Fired Employee Shoots, Kills CEO at Christmas Party
    Sunday, December 14, 2008

A recently fired Canadian man was charged with first degree murder after he allegedly shot and killed his boss at his former company's Christmas party.

Eric Allen Kirkpatrick, 61, who was fired from his job in Vancouver-based TallGrass Distribution, was accused of fatally shooting Benjamin David Banky, Vancouver police Constable Tim Fanning said.

At least a dozen people were at the party when Kirkpatrick entered at about 4 p.m. and opened fire, according to authorities.

Police locked down the neighborhood and Kirkpatrick gave up about two hours later. Other partygoers were not harmed in the incident.

Witnesses told CTV.ca that police spent about two hours negotiating with Kirkpatrick before bringing him into custody.

"He was giving them a bit of grief, he was saying that his cuffs hurt, but he was following orders," a witness said.

TallGrass Distribution is a natural health product supplier.
    Here's a more detailed story:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories
    Police allege sacked employee killed his former boss
    Updated Sat. Dec. 13 2008 10:38 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A man has been charged with first-degree murder after a shooting at an office Christmas party in Vancouver Friday.

Police allege Eric Allen Kirkpatrick, 61, opened fire at the TallGrass Distribution Ltd Christmas party, killing Benjamin David Banky, 40.

Banky was the CEO of TallGrass Distribution Ltd., a natural health products company.

At least a dozen employees had been celebrating when the gunman, who had been recently laid off, entered the party and began firing a gun, according to Vancouver Police spokesperson Const. Tim Fanning.

The other partygoers managed to escape unharmed.

"The shock was tremendous but all the other people in the business - and there another dozen other people who were there for a Christmas party - managed to get out safely," Fanning said.

Police locked down the neighbourhood before the suspect turned himself in around 6 p.m.

Police said Kirkpatrick was let go on Dec. 11.

A resident who lives in a nearby apartment building told The Canadian Press that he did not hear gunshots, but saw a woman run from the party and into a nearby auto repair shop, where it appears she called for help.

"All of a sudden in my front yard there were five totally decked out, geared up riot squad officers with guns out of the holster, aiming at the second floor of the building right beside us," Luke Pigeon said. "I tried to open up my door and they said close your door, lock your door."

Mark Pinder told The Canadian Press that police ordered a group of film studio employees into the basement of their building, which was across the street from the party.

The group was just about to celebrate the completion of a project when police came knocking, he said.

"People grabbed a couple of bowls of chips and dip and we just sort of moved the party downstairs," Pinder said.

"Some people seemed quite concerned but there wasn't anyone freaking out or crying. Everyone was calling their family and making sure that people knew they were OK."

Pigeon said police spent about two hours negotiating with the suspect before bringing him into custody.

"They cuffed him on the ground and they took him into a cruiser," he said.

"He was giving them a bit of grief, he was saying that his cuffs hurt, but he was following orders."

Employees who had been at the party at the time of the shooting are receiving counselling from the Vancouver police victim's services team.

"I can't emphasize enough how traumatic this would have been for the people in there to see one of their co-workers gunned down, so we're going to do all we can to help these people though a very, very difficult time," Fanning said.

2. Remove Ads

Aren't guns illegal in Canada?

Now they will have to outlaw Christmas parties.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A "hatchet man" should never socialize with those whom have been given the axe. Plain and simple............what could they expect? How much does it really take to put two and two together?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Yup! Might as well go ahead and outlaw "job loss" while they are at it. Christmas Parties and unemployment is a bad mix
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    A "hatchet man" should never socialize with those whom have been given the axe. Plain and simple............what could they expect? How much does it really take to put two and two together?
    Come on now, with a mentality like that I'll be out of a job.

Sad but they should have had some Security in place. I hope his family is able to cope and I hope they'll hang the perp. or do whatever it is they do in Canada.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

That was STUPID !!!!!

Not only is he unemployed, he is going to prison and probably will die there......
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

"All of a sudden in my front yard there were five totally decked out, geared up riot squad officers with guns out of the holster, aiming at the second floor of the building right beside us," Luke Pigeon said. "I tried to open up my door and they said close your door, lock your door."

There's a real bright fella for ya'.

That wasn't a hatchet man - that was the CEO, president, and co-founder - basically it's his freakin' company.

They aren't interestingly, but the laws are much more restrictive. They also have relatively widespread ownership, but still relatively low rates of firearm-related homicide.

As I've always stated, it is a cultural/social issue, not a gun issue. If this guy didn't have access to a gun, I feel he would have stabbed the CEO with the biggest knife he could have found.

It is a sad story.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    This happened in my city, the guy was fired a few days before and came back with possibly a rifle, and shot his old boss dead. It's possible that the ex-employee was suffering stress from a sick and dying wife. He had had a crimmanl record from 1960, but nothing recent. Unknown if the gun was legal or unlicenced. either way it's more ammo for the anti's.

and yes we can own guns and approx 4 million Canadians do or did till recently.

If the world were run by vegitarian women instead of meat eating men, this would never have happened.

VIP Member

Then only outlaws will have Christmas parties!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post

There's a real bright fella for ya'.
    Agreed.
    Why do people do this?!

One would think that it would be a strong clue to not go outside if you actually see cops out looking like they are not ready to play "with guns out of the holster".

Hello, McFly!

One should not have to be told under such clearly something is all wrong circumstance to stay inside, close the door, and lock it. No brainer.
    And this fool isn't even smart enough to keep his mouth shut toward telling folks that he's a dummy who had to be directed on what to do for being a dummy. :shrug:

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

No guns are not illegal in Canada. Each province has their own breakdown of the laws but there is no active ban on guns in Canada. In fact there are more guns per household in Canada than in the USA.

Yep x2. ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I carried at my company Christmas party last night. No problem there.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links