Folks who depend on 911?(merged)

This is a discussion on Folks who depend on 911?(merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That's also a problem. If you're already on the ground and can't speak (or maybe they are right on the other side of the door ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Folks who depend on 911?(merged)

That's also a problem. If you're already on the ground and can't speak (or maybe they are right on the other side of the door and you can't make ANY noise; it is hard to whisper when you have adrenaline running through you, and even a whisper sounds like a shout in that state), then what is the operator to think?

With the prevalence of prank 911 calls and little kids who call 911 for no reason (this happens VERY frequently, far more frequently than you may believe), she probably thought the same in this case.

Also, apparently there is a trend of people giving their old cellphones that are no longer active to their kids to play with as toys. What people don't realize is that ANY cellphone, regardless of whether it is on an active contract, CAN make a 911 or 112 call so long as there is a battery charge and signal of some sort. As such these kids often call 911 "just because." If you give you kids old cellphones... please take the battery out.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Aren't all such calls investigated with urgency.

Hangups/disconnections possibly being for example battered women who are not allowed/enabled to reach out for help by their victimizer/attacker. And silent calls possibly being persons such as this physically unable or even incapable to speak (i.e. deaf/mute persons).

Your post is even more reason to _not_ depend on 911 as a primary muchless singular measure of danger resolution.
    Arm and defend yourself. Then dial 911 for the cavalry, who may or may not show up in time...if even at all.

- Janq
    Absolutely yes, 911 hang ups usually turn out to be kids
    playing on the phone.
    But we treat every one as if someones life depends on our
    response! fortunately I patrol a 4x4 sq mile city limit and
    growing up in my small town I get there pretty fast.
    But when seconds count, I get there in minutes.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

... called 911 as she was being attacked ... police did not come for 48 minutes.
    Not a bad response time. Proves yet again that 911 isn't the number for ACME Personal Protective Detail.

Although the dispatcher claimed later to have heard nothing ...
    ... an internal investigation revealed the dispatcher did not hear any sounds that would signal an emergency.
    ... the 911 tape captured screams, gasps and what sounds like a struggle, according to the court documents.
    Because of that, police were not sent to the apartment until 48 minutes after Zimmerman made the call.
    A calm, collected recounting of the situation and clear answers to questions would signal no emergency. ANYTHING ELSE, one would think, would have to be assumed to be an emergency ... particularly if screams, gasps, sounds of a struggle and refusal/inability to answer questions was occurring. I mean, how much bloody confirmation does a 911 operator require? Apparently, very bloody indeed.

She would have been better served by a 9mm Glock, but Wisconsin isn't too keen on folks having the means to protect themselves. In such a place, you get what you get. The WI politicians should be pleased with the outcome, then, as it's what the policies and laws leave the citizens.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Am I getting this 911 thing wrong? Do the dispatchers decide, or have discretion in determining what is am emergency before they bother the responders? For gosh sakes, 911 IS the bleeping emergency number; it means come right now, I have an emergency!

48 minutes is grossly unsatisfactory. A person could bleed out five times in 48 minutes! If there aren't enough cops to respond any faster then that then shift is undermanned and the chief is at fault.

The dispatcher didn't hear anything that makes it sound like an emergency yet the sounds were there on the recording. Are you kidding me? The dispatcher is lying.

Tell you what, If I'm in charge of the dispatchers, the one that took that call is fired; if I'm the girl's family, I'm suing the city.

I'm going to be watching how the aftermath of this OUTRAGE develops.

48 minutes is outrageous.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

My Follow-UP

After reading many of the associated links for the original article I have determined:

1. The Dane County dispatchers have discretion on the priority given a 911 call. They can decide for themselves whether or not to notify responders immediately or later on. (Isn't that nice? You know, I really don't think that a non-sworn dispatcher should be in a position to and given authority to make life or death decisions of this nature.)
    2. The dispatcher did not follow procedure; she did not call the number back to determine if there was an emergency
    3. The Madison police had plenty of officers, who were not otherwise engaged, who could have responded to the call.
    4. A similar 911, no response, fiasco followed this one, a few months later where a young man was murdered in Dane County.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    After reading many of the associated links for the original article I have determined:

1. The Dane County dispatchers have discretion on the priority given a 911 call. They can decide for themselves whether or not to notify responders immediately or later on. (Isn't that nice?)
    2. The dispatcher did not follow procedure; she did not call the number back to determine if there was an emergency
    3. The Madison police had plenty of officers, who were not otherwise engaged, who could have responded to the call.
    4. A similar 911, no response, fiasco followed this one, a few months later where a young man was murdered in Dane County.

Sounds like a lawsuit to me...not that it could ever replace that girls life but I swear I'd make them pay every nickle I could get. (as well as court costs and my attourneys fees) 48 minutes?? That's starting to make even a Brinks alarm system look good.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

^^

I know that's not meant to be funny, but still...Brinks!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Anti gun people hate guns, but at the first sign of trouble call 911 in hopes that a man with a gun, and a badge will show up and save them.

Makes perfect sense!
    What a great way of thinking!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Anti gun people hate guns, but at the first sign of trouble call 911 in hopes that a man with a gun, and a badge will show up and save them.

Makes perfect sense!
    What a great way of thinking!
    Nice irony huh? Should be on a T-Shirt
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links