Folks who depend on 911?(merged)

This is a discussion on Folks who depend on 911?(merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Have a wife, girlfriend, mother, sister (insert relation of preference here) that no matter what seems to think that they can call 911 when they ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folks who depend on 911?(merged)

Folks who depend on 911?(merged)

Have a wife, girlfriend, mother, sister (insert relation of preference here) that no matter what seems to think that they can call 911 when they need it and the SP (super patrolman) will magically appear in the nick of time.... have them read this one.
    Slain student called 911, but no one came in time - CNN.com

She called 911 when she was attacked. 48 minutes later, the police showed up...after her fiance had already found her body.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

yeah all my friends and family, except my dad and 1 friend.

they even believe cops are supposed to take a bullet for you.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Slain Student Called 911, toog over 40 mins

This is really too bad. Why college students need to carry

Slain student called 911, but no one came in time - CNN.com
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Terrible story. I think Wisconsin should ban knives.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

calling 911 is a scary lottery game. I only called 911 once, and police showed up very fast (2-3 minutes. I live in a city). Other times, I called the "non emergency" number, which ends up in the same call center. It can be very hard at times to get your point across, depending on the dispatcher you "draw".

In this case, it sounds like it was a dispatcher error. I see "911" as the cavalry/backup. If they show up: great. But I better be ready to hold out until they do.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

...Although the dispatcher claimed later to have heard nothing, the 911 tape captured screams, gasps and what sounds like a struggle, according to the court documents.

...Zimmerman had been stabbed multiple times in her chest, near her heart. She'd also been beaten and strangled, according to warrants released recently. Zimmerman managed to call 911 at 12:20 p.m. The call was taken by the Dane County 911 center and an internal investigation revealed the dispatcher did not hear any sounds that would signal an emergency.

Because of that, police were not sent to the apartment until 48 minutes after Zimmerman made the call. Her fiance was already there.

... Other details in the released warrants reveal that Zimmerman was murdered in her bedroom, that her cell phone was found in "parts," and that her bloody slippers and bloody computer paper were recovered.

The murder weapon is described as a knife, two to five inches long. Police are not saying whether they have recovered it.
    911 is not a defensive measure in the immediate. :(
    Amazing though that the dispatcher thought to do basically nothing for lack of hearing any sound (!). Stupifying.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    NEW YORK (CNN) -- Brittany Zimmerman, a 21-year-old college student who wanted to be a doctor, called 911 as she was being attacked by a stranger, police say.
    Brittany Zimmerman's screams and struggle for her life were captured by a 911 tape.

But the police did not come for 48 minutes. By that time, Zimmerman was dead. Her fiance found her body.

Although the dispatcher claimed later to have heard nothing, the 911 tape captured screams, gasps and what sounds like a struggle, according to the court documents.

Spring was in the air when college student Zimmerman returned April 2 from classes at the University of Wisconsin to the off-campus apartment she shared with her fiance, Jordan Gonnering.

He was out when she arrived home. He discovered her body when he returned.

Zimmerman had been stabbed multiple times in her chest, near her heart. She'd also been beaten and strangled, according to warrants released recently.

Zimmerman managed to call 911 at 12:20 p.m. The call was taken by the Dane County 911 center and an internal investigation revealed the dispatcher did not hear any sounds that would signal an emergency.

Because of that, police were not sent to the apartment until 48 minutes after Zimmerman made the call. Her fiance was already there.

Dane County has taken some harsh criticism from the public regarding the delay, and tough questions have been raised about whether a prompt response might have saved Zimmerman's life.

Police are still looking for her killer.

"We are working diligently on this case, have generated significant leads, and are making progress," said Joel De Spain of the Madison Police Department.

The police said they believe Zimmerman was attacked by a stranger. Her apartment door showed signs of forced entry.

After interviews with Zimmerman's family, friends and acquaintances, investigators determined there was no personal motive for the attack.

"In fact, we have not been able to determine any motive yet in this case," De Spain said. He emphasized that police have no reason to believe Zimmerman was the victim of a serial killer.

During the investigation, police have tracked leads pointing to vagrants in Zimmerman's off-campus neighborhood. The vagrants often would knock on doors and beg for money.
    Don't Miss

"We are still investigating this avenue, but at this time we have not been able to develop any specific suspects," De Spain said.

Zimmerman's family and friends describe her as a loving, warm young woman, who had much to look forward to. She was engaged to the love of her life and had dreams of earning a medical degree, they said. She was idealistic, and her goal was to help people, not to earn a large salary, they said.

Other details in the released warrants reveal that Zimmerman was murdered in her bedroom, that her cell phone was found in "parts," and that her bloody slippers and bloody computer paper were recovered.

The murder weapon is described as a knife, two to five inches long. Police are not saying whether they have recovered it.
    advertisement

DNA was collected from Zimmerman's body, as well as hair, blood samples, footprints and fingerprints. So far, no match has been made to a suspect.

Zimmerman's family is offering a $14,000 reward, and Crime Stoppers is offering $1,000 for tips leading to the arrest and/or conviction of anyone responsible for Zimmerman's death. Please call the tip line at 608-266-6014.

"We are working diligently on this case, have generated significant leads, and are making progress," said Joel De Spain of the Madison Police Department.
    In other words "We haven't got a clue!"

Proof again that the 911 system is nothing more than a system to make the sheeple "feel good". Where the actual truth is it is system designed by and ran by people. Subject to all the failings people have. To put your life in the hands of a system and expecting it to work in each and every instance, is nothing more than asking for trouble. Protect yourself first, use the system second. Calling 911 after you have protected yourself and stopped the assault, is far better than calling while being/or about to be assaulted and the police finding your body and notifying next of kin.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    911 is not a defensive measure in the immediate. :(
    Amazing though that the dispatcher thought to do basically nothing for lack of hearing any sound (!). Stupifying.

- Janq
    First comment is correct. You need to be able to help yourself and hold out until help arrives.

Second comment, depends. Response is generally related to what else is going on in that city. If there were several other incidents going on, a silent call may have to wait for other calls where there are confirmed emergencies. With the volume of hang up and silent calls that come into 911, it is not unusual to have a wait time.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Calling 911 after you have protected yourself and stopped the assault, is far better than calling while being/or about to be assaulted and the police finding your body and notifying next of kin.
    Absolutely. A 911 operator can not save you over the phone.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

the comments in the news site are ******* me off, I guess most people believe cops are everybody bodyguards, and a 911 call should summon one in a *magical poof*

I wonder if she played possum like they advertise.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Second comment, depends. Response is generally related to what else is going on in that city. If there were several other incidents going on, a silent call may have to wait for other calls where there are confirmed emergencies. With the volume of hang up and silent calls that come into 911, it is not unusual to have a wait time.
    Aren't all such calls investigated with urgency.

Hangups/disconnections possibly being for example battered women who are not allowed/enabled to reach out for help by their victimizer/attacker. And silent calls possibly being persons such as this physically unable or even incapable to speak (i.e. deaf/mute persons).

Your post is even more reason to _not_ depend on 911 as a primary muchless singular measure of danger resolution.
    Arm and defend yourself. Then dial 911 for the cavalry, who may or may not show up in time...if even at all.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Aren't all such calls investigated with urgency.
    - Janq
    All such calls should be investigated with urgency, but if it is busy and there are limited officers for response, the confirmed emergencies would logically get the available officers first.

I agree. It is all the more reason to be able to help yourself.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Let me get this straight. If my daughter called 911 and said " Help, I'm being attacked....scream, gasp, gasp......" The operator doesn't immediately send an officer? I'm from a smaller town so I guess I expect a different response. But I find it very unnerving that 48 minutes lapses before the law arrives.

This is one of the major reasons I'm armed, and my wife is armed. When i have a daughter, and she's old enough, she'll be armed.

Calling 911 merely notifies the police that they need to come and collect evidence.

The courts have already ruled that the police have no obligation to protect you.

When will people learn that personal protection is just that- Personal

jfl
    911 aka "dial-a-prayer"
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

People never realize how inadequate 911 can be until they actually have to use it. I've only had to call them once, and while they came within about 2-3 minutes (very quick), the invader in my house had already tried my bedroom door and its likely that had he had worse intentions, I would've been done. The whole thing happened in less than a minute most likely, although it felt like longer.

To use an old cliche... when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links