Flashback: The Beltway Sniper

This is a discussion on Flashback: The Beltway Sniper within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think this dark time in our Nation's Capital's history precedes this forum. Not sure why I started to think about it again, but wanted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashback: The Beltway Sniper

I think this dark time in our Nation's Capital's history precedes this forum. Not sure why I started to think about it again, but wanted to know who was in the area when this happened. I was living/working in D.C. at the time and remember being in fear everytime I went to pump gas or go to my car in a parking lot.

For those of you living under a rock in 2002 and don't know what I'm talking about:
    Beltway sniper attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone live in Maryland/DC/Virginia during the D.C. Snipers' terror spree? Even if I had one at the time, I don't think a CC would have made me feel anymore secure against an unseen enemy.
    HK45c V1

VIP Member
    I was living here in the Richmond area at the time. Wife and I often went to Ashland, where one of the shootings took place, to eat dinner. During that time I avoided the area, as well as areas where a random sniper would have an open field of fire. Nothing is going to deter someone who is hell bent on committing random acts of violence. My .40 is no match for a .223 at the range the snipers were shooting from. Spitting on a forest fire would be about as affective.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I've lived in richmond my whole life. My only brother was going to a university in DC or just one semester, of course it was during this ordeal. I remeber the local high schools shut down sporting events at the outside stadiums here in richmond,and watching the news hearing about more and more people getting shot/killed. I was only 16 years old back then

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    I think this dark time in our Nation's Capital's history precedes this forum. Not sure why I started to think about it again, but wanted to know who was in the area when this happened. I was living/working in D.C. at the time and remember being in fear everytime I went to pump gas or go to my car in a parking lot.

For those of you living under a rock in 2002 and don't know what I'm talking about:
    Beltway sniper attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone live in Maryland/DC/Virginia during the D.C. Snipers' terror spree? Even if I had one at the time, I don't think a CC would have made me feel anymore secure against an unseen enemy.
    yep..I've been here a while. I remember it clearly. The problem is as you stated at the end though. It was for the most part an unseen enemy. If I remember right they were doing things like parking their car in such a fashion that they could fire from inside the closed trunk through a hole in the rear.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Bonehead I was there as well.

My sister and her husband live at the apartment complex where the bus stop shooting occurred off Bel Pre Road. He at that time took tht bus to work bu that morning had called in sick.

The Shell gas station in Manassas is where I used to go weekly top off one of the cars I then drove because it was one of the few places in the region that sold 103 octane fuel, which back in those days was affordable. I at that time lived in Loudoun county just over the line from Fairfax.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I lived in Gambrills, MD at the time, and worked downtown DC. It really had me kind of freaked out--the randomness of it, and the fact that it happened in so many parts of the metro area. The school shooting where the kid survived (primarily b/c his aunt who was dropping him at school was a nurse and knew where a medical clinic was located nearby, IIRC) was only a few miles from where we lived. I remember having taking extra time to scan the surroundings and always trying to keep something between me and anything more than a few yards away--e.g. standing between my car and the pump at the gas station.

It was a bad time--also so soon after 9/11, really made living/working in/around DC feel like you were in the crosshairs...

Been there, done that, got some T-shirts!
    I was working for Montgomery County Police as a dispatcher and on the Peer Support Team through all of that. I responded to the scene of Sonny Buchanan's shooting. I took the first call for Conrad Johnson's ( the Ride On bus driver) shooting. I was also briefly a "person of interest". If any of you have read the Moose's book on it I am the guy he refers to on page 123 (paperback). I still have the nice letter of apology he sent me.
    One of the last duties I performed on the Peer Support Team before leaving the department was to attend John Allen Mohammed's trial with Sonny's sister and some of the other victims' family members. It was an interesting time indeed.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I was also briefly a "person of interest". If any of you have read the Moose's book on it I am the guy he refers to on page 123 (paperback). I still have the nice letter of apology he sent me.
    Why exactly were you ID'd as a person of interest? Seems like far too many LEO agencies have ID'd innocent people as such and ended up making life hard for people who have done nothing wrong. Just interested to know your story.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    We here in Tucson were the first to be involved, albeit unknowingly at the time.

The muslim scumbag was practicing his sniper skills and killed a guy at the Fred Enke golf course, a facility I frequent. At the time it was reported as an isolated incident. Only later did we learn of the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    Why exactly were you ID'd as a person of interest? Seems like far too many LEO agencies have ID'd innocent people as such and ended up making life hard for people who have done nothing wrong. Just interested to know your story.
    I was one of the resident "gun nuts" at the Emergency Communications Center. They never really gave me a straight answer as to why, and one Lieutenant made a point of saying it was nothing personal. I was told that basically they were looking at everyone with a .223 rifle. I am a white male, at the time 37 years old, own a Bushmaster .223 cal rifle. My parents at the time owned a white Dodge Caravan and I owned a brown 1989 Chevy Caprice. Briefly we were looking for a Chevy Astro with ladder racks. Turns out Mohammed's Caprice looks identical to mine but his was dark blue. My parents van has a luggage rack. I worked the midnight to 0800 shift so I had an alibi for some of the shootings, but when most occurred (after that first day) I was at home asleep after my shift. As far as the geographic profile I grew up in the county and had lived in Aspen Hill, close enough to the Mobil station where the cab driver was shot that I had in the past walked there to get cigarettes. I used to work at White Flint Mall next to the dealership where Sonny was cutting the grass when he was killed.
    I basically fit the initial profile we were working on.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I was one of the resident "gun nuts" at the Emergency Communications Center. They never really gave me a straight answer as to why, and one Lieutenant made a point of saying it was nothing personal. I was told that basically they were looking at everyone with a .223 rifle. I am a white male, at the time 37 years old, own a Bushmaster .223 cal rifle. My parents at the time owned a white Dodge Caravan and I owned a brown 1989 Chevy Caprice. Briefly we were looking for a Chevy Astro with ladder racks. Turns out Mohammed's Caprice looks identical to mine but his was dark blue. My parents van has a luggage rack. I worked the midnight to 0800 shift so I had an alibi for some of the shootings, but when most occurred (after that first day) I was at home asleep after my shift. As far as the geographic profile I grew up in the county and had lived in Aspen Hill, close enough to the Mobil station where the cab driver was shot that I had in the past walked there to get cigarettes. I used to work at White Flint Mall next to the dealership where Sonny was cutting the grass when he was killed.
    I basically fit the initial profile we were working on.
    Wow, an unfortunate set of coincidences. You could have ended up like Richard Jewell.

Incredible how some initial misinformation from 'witnesses' regarding the vehicle made EVERYONE look at white box trucks with a wary eye. I lived in N.W. D.C. but frequented restaurants and shopping areas in Northern VA. I vividly remember going to the Costco in Arlington, parking as close to the entrance as possible, getting out of the car in a crouched position and running back the same way to minimize exposure.
    Felt like I had my life back after Moose announced that they caught the scumbags in that rest stop.
    HK45c V1

After word got around work about two of the agents from the task force showing up at my house and doing "Good cop/Bad cop" on my wife while I was out it was surreal. There were jokes about the tip line working and a bunch of people that would avoid me. Finally one of my coworkers stood up for me and announced in his shifts roll call that he knew it wasn't me, because if I was the sniper I would be using my .308 and there wouldn't be any survivors!
    Sort of a compliment I guess....

Lead Moderator
    Yup, was living in Laurel Maryland through the whole thing.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I just thought the nation was lucky the guy wasn't using a larger caliber weapon. it would have been an interesting scenario to be carrying and see something "unusual" out of the back of that car...makes me wonder if I could recognize it for what it is and how I would react.

VIP Member
    See my blog. Clickie on the number next to blog under my name over there on the left.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links