(BAD) Craigslist used to lure man who was beaten.

This is a discussion on (BAD) Craigslist used to lure man who was beaten. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Going to buy something, better be armed and take friends. Man Who Was Left For Dead Shows His Injuries Reporting Jodi Brooks THORNTON, Colo. (CBS4) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (BAD) Craigslist used to lure man who was beaten.

(BAD) Craigslist used to lure man who was beaten.

Going to buy something, better be armed and take friends.

Man Who Was Left For Dead Shows His Injuries
    Reporting
    Jodi Brooks
    THORNTON, Colo. (CBS4) ― A woman has been arrested for attempted murder and kidnapping after a man responded to her ad on Craigslist. Investigators say she lured him with the promise of a dog kennel.

The victim, who wanted to remain anonymous, left Michelle Huddleston's house beaten and later dumped in a snow bank. Now the 39-year-old will help police build a case against her and help identify his other attackers.

The victim suffered major bruising around his eyes and on his ribs.

The victim said he had found his dog on Craigslist and had success, so he now wanted a kennel and responded to Huddleston's ad. He said he and Huddleston met three times before she invited him to her Thornton mobile home. Once inside, a man jumped out of the closet and beat the victim, then tied him up in the shower and beat him some more.

Eventually three men put a bag on his head and drove him to Coal Creek Canyon.

"I didn't think I was going to make it, especially when they started driving up the road," the victim said. "I could tell it was a mountain road because of all the switchbacks and stuff like that."

He was dumped on the side of the road near mile marker 22. After trying to get someone's attention, Colorado Department of Transportation driver Chris Brewer stopped to help.

"He was bleeding pretty bad, his face was cut up," Brewer said.

The victim's 1998 green Subaru had been missing, but was recently found by Thornton police near 104th and Zuni.

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation says Huddleston has a lengthy criminal record that includes felony theft, identity theft, forgery and prostitution.

Thornton police say they are still working to identity additional suspects in this case.

2. Remove Ads

They just advertise on CraigList to beat him up, did they take $$$ from him.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Assailant has a lengthy history including prostitution...looking for a dog kennel,my BS meters running high especially after he claimed he met her 3 times to just buy a kennel
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When someone asked in a thread, some months back, about what the risks were when doing face-to-face exchanges, I responded that one threat is that you get rolled by the person meeting you. My comments about possible areas of risk were laughingly dismissed (by some) as utterly unnecessary. Well, maybe certain precautions are, maybe they aren't. Truth is, there's a definite risk when dealing with anyone you don't know, particularly if going off the grid and out of sight while doing such an exchange or transaction.

The person you're meeting is a stranger, and certain precautions aren't unreasonable, in order to fully guard against the risk. Well, here you go. A perfect example of how letting your guard down, ignoring simple precautions about where/when to meet and going alone can up the stakes and make one a victim faster than you can say "Oh, crap!"

That said, I do FTF, but I take certain precautions about the exchange place. It's done on public, neutral ground. It's done at a place of my choosing.

Be safe out there, 'cause attacks can happen anytime, anywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    When someone asked in a thread, some months back, about what the risks were when doing face-to-face exchanges, I responded that one threat is that you get rolled by the person meeting you. My comments about possible areas of risk were laughingly dismissed (by some) as utterly unnecessary. Well, maybe certain precautions are, maybe they aren't. Truth is, there's a definite risk when dealing with anyone you don't know, particularly if going off the grid and out of sight while doing such an exchange or transaction.
    Yep. I've only done one FTF transaction when I sold one of my XDs. This is the reason why the transaction took place in the parking lot of a large and very busy gas station.

-Jeff-

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Assailant has a lengthy history including prostitution...looking for a dog kennel,my BS meters running high especially after he claimed he met her 3 times to just buy a kennel
    duk, +10!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    Yep. I've only done one FTF transaction when I sold one of my XDs. This is the reason why the transaction took place in the parking lot of a large and very busy gas station.

-Jeff-

I do all gun sales at the local PD parking lot.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I drove a substantial distance a couple of days ago to follow up on a good Craigslist deal on a motorcycle for my son. I met the owner at his residence, but immediatlety noticed his hesitance and reluctance to show the bike. Turns out, the bike that was "running" when I spoke to him on the phone was not running now. It could have had something to do with the temp at 7 degrees or just a misledaing deal to start out. Either way, I had my hand on a revlover in my pocket the whole time. I ended the meeting by telling him to contact me if he got the bike running.

The bike owner did call about an hour later, but I told him I decided to "hold off for now". Who knows, I may have been getting set up to get rolled for the large amount of cash I had on me to buy the bike.

VIP Member
    These face to face transactions mediated by Craigeslist can be both fun and dangerous.

We (Mrs. Boss and I against my will) do a lot of them. She entertains herself that way.

Fortunately, everyone we have dealt with has been very nice, but we have gone into strangers homes many times and strangers have come to our home. Interestingly, many of the sellers are women...who I think don't understand the risk they are taking when they open the door to a stranger. We have also found ourselves in a fairly cramped narrow alley string of low end buildings. The young lady flung open her door when I rang the door bell. What a foolish girl. She opened her door to a totally strange man. And for what? To sell a junky lamp for 20 bucks?

Though there is risk in these transactions, we can't just not have our little fun and avoid out of fear.

This is what we do: My wife NEVER goes to see stuff without me going along. If someone is coming to our home, she lets them in through the garage-kitchen door, while I remain elsewhere in the house but able to hear every word--and of course with Mr. S&W .40 in hand.

No one goes beyond the kitchen, hence can't scope the layout of the house.

I have told my Wife no Craigs List, period.

We have this thing called Freecycle here in the Dallas area where you can list things you are getting rid of for free, instead of going to the dump and filling it up, I am working on my Wife on that one as well since you have to leave your stuff on the porch for them to pick it up. At least I have her leaving the house when the stuff is supposed to get picked up (it's a start).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

This isn't close to a first--it's actually a fairly common thing with Craig's List. Here is a case that I have personal ties to--the victim is a very good friend of mine. Of course, he is humiliated by the facts and admits he was stupid, but he didn't deserve what he got. For some unknown reason, they let the shooter out of jail at some point before trial and--surprise, surprise, they can't find him now:

Craigslist user shot after canceling call girl

I always thought I was being paranoid whenever I sold something to a stranger! I always pack when I go to an exchange and I make sure the seller knows I have someone waiting in the car. I have sold some "big ticket" items in the past, Harley's, trucks ect.. and those I have a couple buddies hanging around the garage just in case TSHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I do all gun sales at the local PD parking lot.
    In today's world, I'm not sure that even the PD parking lot is without potential threats.

Sad state of affairs...

If reference to the OP...something doesn't pass the smell test.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i have made many ftf deals, all in public places w/lots of people around.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In today's world, I'm not sure that even the PD parking lot is without potential threats.

Sad state of affairs...

If reference to the OP...something doesn't pass the smell test.
    +1!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links