Lady uses CCW in Fort Smith

This is a discussion on Lady uses CCW in Fort Smith within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw this story on the channel 5 news last night so I went to their website and copied it in case any one was interested. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lady uses CCW in Fort Smith

Lady uses CCW in Fort Smith

Saw this story on the channel 5 news last night so I went to their website and copied it in case any one was interested. I say 2 thumbs up for the lady and 2 thumbs up for Arkansas CCW.

Reported by Jared Broyles
    Concealed carry permit comes in handy for woman in Fort Smith

Posted: Dec 17, 2008 07:45 PM

Updated: Dec 18, 2008 12:36 AM

FORT SMITH - She's a woman who knows how to protect herself as two men who tried to rob her found out. What they didn't know was the woman is licensed to carry a concealed weapon...and yes, she was packing heat.

"A lady was flagged over Sunday evening about 6 p.m. on the interstate between Kelley Highway and the Arkansas river bridge." Lt. Steve Coppinger with State Police says that two men in a car signaled that the woman was getting a flat tire.

"When she pulled over to check her tires one of those person in that other car got out and attempted to rob her at knife point."

But what the thief didn't expect happened next. Coppinger says the female driver pulled out her handgun.

"She pointed that at her attacker and he backed away, got in the car and they fled."

Investigators say the would-have-been victim was able to turn the tables because she had a concealed carry permit. State police are keeping some details of the investigation close to their vest so they will know when they get the right guys. Right now, officials are saying they believe this to be an isolated incident.

As for advice, Lt. Coppinger says to always pull over in a well-lighted public area. And if you are pulled over by someone you don't know, don't get out of the car. Use your cell phone to call 911 and ask for assistance.

Investigators for the Arkansas State Police are trying to track down the alleged suspects and what's been described as a black Toyota Camry with Oklahoma plates. If you have any information that could be helpful to their investigation, please call Troop H in Fort Smith.
    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2. Remove Ads

Nice to see some positive light shed on us gun clingers! Only thing is she maybe shouldn't have pulled over in the first place. But it did end ok. So
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing..... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

VIP Member
    What they didn't know was the woman is licensed to carry a concealed weapon...and yes, she was packing heat.
    Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of the press referring to legally licensed citizens as someone "packing heat"? Contrary to what they may think we don't live in the 1920's anymore. "Packing heat" irritates me almost as bad as "My bad".

Alright, I feel better now, I'll put my soapbox away.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of the press referring to legally licensed citizens as someone "packing heat"? Contrary to what they may think we don't live in the 1920's anymore. "Packing heat" irritates me almost as bad as "My bad".

Yea, it does sound pretty 70's doesn't it.

But hey reporters need to feel cool every now and again.

At least the story wasn't written to shed bad light on the lady with the CCW. Good for her.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

Yeah what if you have one of those hand warmers in your pocket? Technically you are "packing heat" .........

Quote Originally Posted by randomorbit View Post
    As for advice, Lt. Coppinger says to always pull over in a well-lighted public area. And if you are pulled over by someone you don't know, don't get out of the car. Use your cell phone to call 911 and ask for assistance.
    that's funny, can you wait a little Mr. bad guy I'm calling 911.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Senior Moderator
    Dang it.

I'm going to have to use that one in the next class.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Good for her, glad she is allright.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Good outcome. I travel the same road about twice a week. I figure that if two perps would have approached her, someone would have ended up getting shot. She's lucky, and I hope the attacker soiled himself. Hope the ASP catches up with these pair before they try it again. I somehow doubt they learned their lesson this go-round.

Senior Moderator
    Yo RamRod...

Does Fort Smith seem to be getting a lot of news these days or is it just me?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yo RamRod...

Does Fort Smith seem to be getting a lot of news these days or is it just me?
    It seems to run in spurts for the area. Arkansas seems to be getting a lot of media attention here lately...god, bad, and ugly. Big city close to state border?

Senior Moderator
    Dont know. I have heard of several incidents at the mall.

Lots of people in Russellville go to Fort Smith rather than Little Rock because they felt that it was safer and we are located in the middle of both of them.

It seems to be getting "less safe"'up there.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Agreed;'Packing Heat' is a juvenile and plain unprofessional use of terminology.
    Why not refer to her car as a 'horseless buggy' or her tires as 'whitewalls' and the road she pulled over on as a 'superhighway'. Jeebus.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Dont know. I have heard of several incidents at the mall.

Lots of people in Russellville go to Fort Smith rather than Little Rock because they felt that it was safer and we are located in the middle of both of them.

It seems to be getting "less safe"'up there.
    You probably hear about more than I do through different channels. Might also remember we have some hurricane refugees that decided to make a new home here instead of going back. I'm not implying anything by this nor the city's location in relation to Oklahoma. I just can't help but think of a number of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You probably hear about more than I do through different channels. Might also remember we have some hurricane refugees that decided to make a new home here instead of going back. I'm not implying anything by this nor the city's location in relation to Oklahoma. I just can't help but think of a number of possibilities.
    Same thing up here in NWA..seems there has been more drug crime along with break ins up here and "seems" the suspects are hurricane refugees..I have noticed in FYV people standing on street corners, like drug dealers do in big cities, and we never had that before refugees made their way here..2+2 tend to add up..do the math.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links