REALLY GOOD: Liquor Store Clerk Defends Himself With A Handgun - Worcester, MA

This is a discussion on REALLY GOOD: Liquor Store Clerk Defends Himself With A Handgun - Worcester, MA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gun-rights advocates stand by Worcester worker - BostonHerald.com Antiviolence and gun-rights backers banded together yesterday in support of a Worcester liquor store clerk who shot ...

Thread: REALLY GOOD: Liquor Store Clerk Defends Himself With A Handgun - Worcester, MA

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Gun-rights advocates stand by Worcester worker - BostonHerald.com

Antiviolence and gun-rights backers banded together yesterday in support of a Worcester liquor store clerk who shot and killed a masked man who allegedly pulled a gun on him during an attempted robbery.

Police said the clerk working Wednesday night at Big Bob’s Liquors was licensed to carry a firearm.

“It sounds like a clear-cut case of self-defense, which is what the Second Amendment is really all about,” said Jim Wallace, director of the Gun Owners Action League of Massachusetts. “The (clerk) was properly lawfully in possession of a firearm. It sounds like a win-win situation.”
    The Truth About Hair-loss Myths
    How to Keep Your PC Clean and Quick
    Did That Drink Put You Over the Limit?

Forty-year-old Evan Louis Rivera, who entered the store with another masked man, pointed a gun at one of the clerks and one of the clerks fired back, striking Rivera multiple times, police said. Rivera died 45 minutes later.

John Rosenthal, co-founder of Stop Handgun Violence and a rifle owner, said he supports responsible gun ownership and the use of firearms in self-defense.

“It’s a good thing the store clerk was licensed and trained and prevented this heinous crime,” he said. “If it was all legal, power to the guy.”

Rosenthal said the clerk may have conflicted feelings about the shooting.

“Now he has to live with the consequences of having killed somebody,” he said. “That’s a pretty major consequence. He may find solace that he is alive as a result of being armed.”
    Wow, headed this one as pretty good since it happened in the gulag of Massachussetts, and got a pretty positive spin in the very liberal Boston press. Nice to see an anti (John Rosenthal) who supports the use of weapons in self-defense. If only all such sheep had their eyes open like Mr. Rosenthal.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

jfl
    As good as it can realistically get !!!
    Thanks for sharing.

When I feel optimistic, I think the tide is slowly turning in our favor ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

"...co-founder of Stop Handgun Violence and a rifle owner"

- Jim Zumbo
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

John Rosenthal, co-founder of Stop Handgun Violence and a rifle owner, said “It’s a good thing the store clerk was licensed and trained and prevented this heinous crime,” he said. “If it was all legal, power to the guy.”
    As if all that licensing and training had anything to do with preventing this scumbag from robbing the store. Of course the clerk actually having a gun and the guts to use it didn't have anything to do with it.

Rosenthal said the clerk may have conflicted feelings about the shooting.
    Conflicted feelings about the shooting or the robbery that included the shooting? Yeah, I'm sure the clerk was real conflicted about shooting the scumbag.

“Now he has to live with the consequences of having killed somebody,” he said. “That’s a pretty major consequence. He may find solace that he is alive as a result of being armed.”
    Let me think about that. The consequence of the shooting is that the clerk is still alive, and he didn't get killed by the scumbag. That's a pretty major consequence that I could probably live with.

Even with all this licensing and training, isn't it just so sad that our poor scumbag got shot dead during his robbery? Man. When will this handgun violence end?

dldeuce,

I didn't read it that way at all. Anyone who has gone through the trouble to educate themselves about armed self defense ought to know about the conflicting emotions that often follow a justifiable homicide. Even the most justified shooting can leave a person feeling tremendous guilt, not only for having killed a fellow human being (which unless you have received specialized training or are a sociopath is an unnatural act) but for being happy about it.

Ryan

VIP Member

Storeowner Not Charged

Storeowner Who Killed Robber Not Charged - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

Storeowner Who Killed Robber Not Charged

2 Men Tried Robbing Big Bob's Liquors In December

POSTED: 11:53 am EST February 6, 2009
    UPDATED: 2:25 pm EST February 6, 2009

BOSTON -- The owner of Big Bob’s Liquors will not be charged in the death of a man who was shot while attempting to rob the store at gunpoint in December, according to Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr.

“A thorough review of the investigation and evidence has revealed that the storeowner acted in self-defense and in the defense of another,” Early said. “He and his brother were put in fear for their lives.”

Two men entered Big Bob’s store at 4 Richmond Ave. at about 10 p.m. on Dec. 10. At least one of the men pointed a handgun directly at a store clerk behind the counter. The storeowner, who was nearby, pulled out his own gun and shot one of the would-be robbers several times. The other man fled the store and remains at large.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

But wait, the robber was in MA. How did he have a pistol? Illegal to have a pistol with out a license in MA. Hmmm...seems those laws work just great.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

^^ Too true. However, it's very nice to see the lack of criminal charges in this case, especially considering the commonwealth in which it occurred.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

WOW, a glimmer of light in my dark anti-gun state, there is hope for us!!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Just like NYC and DC.... the real problem is...

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    But wait, the robber was in MA. How did he have a pistol? Illegal to have a pistol with out a license in MA. Hmmm...seems those laws work just great.
    The real problem is all those guns that are in other states that migrate into the "good" states and districts. Only solution obviously is to collect all the guns from all the states so there can be no migrations. Oh and Mexico and Canada. Oh and South America while your at it... sigh.
    The UN small arms non-proliferation agreement and Mayor Bloomberg (presidential wannabe) in action folks.

And... one of the many reasons I left MA

Mr. Rosenthal needs to give a talk to Sara Brady..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Sponsored Links