Neutral: Homeowner Defends Himself With A Weapon - Nitrate City, AL

This is a discussion on Neutral: Homeowner Defends Himself With A Weapon - Nitrate City, AL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Men shot in break-in attempt | TimesDaily.com | The Times Daily | Florence, AL NITRATE CITY - A Colbert County homeowner shot two men who ...

Thread: Neutral: Homeowner Defends Himself With A Weapon - Nitrate City, AL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Neutral: Homeowner Defends Himself With A Weapon - Nitrate City, AL

Men shot in break-in attempt | TimesDaily.com | The Times Daily | Florence, AL

NITRATE CITY - A Colbert County homeowner shot two men who reportedly were trying to break into his house early Wednesday, leaving both hospitalized recovering from multiple gunshot wounds, authorities said.

Three Florence men face charges over the break-in bid, Colbert County Sheriff Ronnie May said.

Charged with second-degree burglary were:

# Justin Peake, 22, 330 Reddoch Road, Florence.

# Holland Noah Elkins, 19, Darby Drive, Florence.

# Jason Douglas Reynolds, 18, 127 Patsy Drive, Florence.

Peake, a student at the University of North Alabama and 2006 member of the golf team, and Elkins were both injured, May said. Peake was in critical condition at Huntsville Hospital on Wednesday night, while Elkins had surgery and was transferred to a private room at Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital in Florence and was in stable condition.

Authorities said the homeowner reported that the men were trying to kick in the back door at his home at 6720 Second St. The break-in occurred around 12:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Investigators say Reynolds, a student at UNA, was the driver of the getaway car. He was not injured.

Investigators said the homeowner shot Peake and Elkins multiple times with a 9 mm pistol after they kicked in the back door of the residence, which is just past East Colbert Baptist Church. The sheriff said neither Peake nor Elkins were armed.

Peake, who was found lying in the yard, was flown to Huntsville Hospital, where he remains in the intensive care unit.

After being shot, Elkins was taken to E.C.M. Hospital by Reynolds, who was driving Peake's silver Mercedes.

May said Peake's Mercedes was found by Florence police on Reddock Road in Florence, which is in the affluent Heathrow subdivision.

"We were able to locate the driver (Reynolds), and he was interviewed by investigators and admitted that he took (Peake and Elkins) to the residence to burglarize the residence," May said.

He said it's unclear what the burglars were after or why they chose the eastern Colbert County residence.

"We understand that one of their friends may have told them that something of value was inside the residence and that they would want to get their hands on it," May said.

He said the burglary plan was sidetracked when the men were confronted by the homeowner as they kicked in the door.

"We got a call at 12:38 a.m. from the homeowner that two people had broke through the back door and he had shot one or both of them," the sheriff said.

Authorities said Peake was likely shot seven or eight times, while Elkins was shot at least twice.

May said the homeowner turned over the weapon to sheriff's investigators.

The homeowner said he lived alone and moved into the house just over two years ago.

May said the homeowner reported an attempted burglary that took place at the residence Monday night.

"He said someone had been calling his house (Monday) and hanging up, and the telephone numbers were some he didn't recognize," May said. "Then when he got home from work Monday evening, someone had tried to get into the back door of his porch."

The sheriff said the home-owner told investigators the hang-up calls began again Tuesday.

"And they lasted into the night," May said. "So (the homeowner) said he got suspicious and cut out all the lights and was just sitting and waiting when they broke through the door."

It is the second home invasion reported in the Shoals this week and the third in Colbert County within a week.

Sheffield police are investigating a house invasion that took place late Monday on North Atlanta Avenue. The homeowner was injured when two men, who were armed and wearing ski masks, broke in and hit him in the head with a gun. The gun was fired into the ceiling and the men fled.

Last week, less than five miles from where Wednesday's shooting took place, Harry Ricks Jr. was shot and killed at his residence on Gate Six Road when two men broke into his residence looking for money.

May said the Second Street incident and the Gate Six shooting are not related.

Second-degree burglary is a Class B felony punishable by 2 to 20 years in prison, if convicted.
    Anyone besides me think that the 'something of value inside the home' was drugs?

Why else would a college student who was probably on a golf scholarship and owned a Mercedes be involved in something like this?

Up here in NE the homeowner would likely be convicted because of the appearance that he was 'lying in wait' for the intruders.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Anyone besides me think that the 'something of value inside the home' was drugs?
    Actually my take is all 3 home invasions were probably the work of the 2 individuals who were shot, and their getaway car driver. Just out to steal anything they could make a buck on.

Why else would a college student who was probably on a golf scholarship and owned a Mercedes be involved in something like this?
    It was probably mom and dads Mercedes. Besides, since when does someone need a reason to be a thug? They see the opportunity to make an easy buck, without having to work for it, so they take it.

Up here in NE the homeowner would likely be convicted because of the appearance that he was 'lying in wait' for the intruders.
    Day before calls with hang ups had started and someone had attempted to kick in the back door, next day the calls started again? Sounds like the homeowner used good SA and took the necessary steps to protect himself.

All in all I would say "Good riddance to bad rubbish!".
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Agreed Archer.

If I were on his jury I would have no problem with his actions or approach.
    Bottom line don't be trying to break into other peoples homes and you won't suffer potential consequence of pain and/or death. Simple.

I hope the homeowner sees no criminal charges.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

After the hang up calls, dial *69 to get the ID of the incoming number IF you don't have caller ID and your phone provider has that feature.

Two things I like about this story is "two shot, and multiple times"...

Someone waiting inside during an attempted breaking is not a crime. Was he supposed to give them a warning? What if his warning caused the BG's to start shooting?
    These scumbags learned the hard lessons of doing crime.
    Now they will hopefully do the time.

I'm disappointed that the cops took the homeowner's gun...that's why I have a collection. Why don't they go the the perps' homes and take any guns located there?

Stay armed...always have a 'collection'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links