SAD: Teen Accomplice In Armed Robbery Charged With Capital Murder - Birmingham, AL

This is a discussion on SAD: Teen Accomplice In Armed Robbery Charged With Capital Murder - Birmingham, AL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Birmingham teen murder suspect in wrong place, mother says - al.com The adoptive mother of a teen charged with capital murder of an acquaintance who ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAD: Teen Accomplice In Armed Robbery Charged With Capital Murder - Birmingham, AL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

SAD: Teen Accomplice In Armed Robbery Charged With Capital Murder - Birmingham, AL

Birmingham teen murder suspect in wrong place, mother says - al.com

The adoptive mother of a teen charged with capital murder of an acquaintance who was killed while the two were robbing someone Sunday said her son was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Malik Hameed, 17, is remorseful over his involvement in a weekend robbery that left his accomplice, a family friend, dead, said his mother, Hamidah Hameed, 56.

"All he's been doing is crying and asking me to come get him," Hamidah Hameed said. "He keeps saying, `Mama, I'm sorry.' I told him he had a chance to think and make a different choice, but he didn't think. He just asked me to hug him and hold him."

Police say Malik Hameed and Patrick Cortez Levert, 26, were shot Sunday in the 100 block of Cotton Avenue Southwest while trying to rob a 39-year-old man at gunpoint.

The man pulled a gun and shot both, police said.

Levert, found on the sidewalk, was taken to UAB Hospital, where he died. Someone drove Hameed to Princeton Baptist Medical Center, where he was treated and later taken into police custody.

Though Hameed didn't shoot Levert, he is charged with capital murder because he was a conspirator in a crime that resulted in death, police said.

Hamidah Hameed said witnesses have told family members her son wasn't armed.

"We haven't been able to verify whether he was or wasn't armed," said Birmingham homicide Sgt. Scott Thurmond. "But from talking to him, he knew what was going on prior to getting there. He knew the deal."

Hamidah Hameed said she became Malik Hameed's foster mother when he was 12, after his biological mother lost parental rights of her four children. Three years later, Hamidah Hameed formally adopted him, but said both she and he had an ongoing relationship with his biological mother.

She said Malik Hameed suffered a head injury when he was younger, and also is learning disabled. He and his biological mother were going to school together to get their GEDs, Hamidah Hameed said.

Her son spent Thanksgiving with his biological mother, where he met Levert, a convicted robber who again was charged with robbery in November.

Levert had taken Malik Hameed to work with him, and then on the holdup Sunday.

"Malik was just going along with him," Hamidah Hameed said. "He don't have any street sense. I babied him."

Hamidah Hameed said her adopted son hasn't been in any previous trouble, nor were any of her biological children who are all now grown.

"He was going to church with his biological mother and going to mosque with me," she said. "It's not like we didn't try to teach him about God."

Dealing with crime, and the law, is new to her. The family is trying to raise money for a lawyer.

"I don't know where to start," she said. "We're here for him but we're not rich people. All we can do is pray."
    I feel sorry for the family of those involved, and for the 17 y/o if he truly is disabled and not able to make smart decisions as hinted at by his adoptive mother.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "We haven't been able to verify whether he was or wasn't armed," said Birmingham homicide Sgt. Scott Thurmond. "But from talking to him, he knew what was going on prior to getting there. He knew the deal."
    Sorry, no sympathy from me. He went there willingly and new what was going on. As they say, "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time".

Thanks CT, my mistake.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As they say, "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the crime".
    You mean 'if you can't do the time' right?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I guess we won't know, but it would be interesting to hear more details. Kind of makes it sound like he was just tagging along with this older "friend" and didn't know his friend was planning on robbing someone.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    This goes back to that old saying "Show me who your friends are and I will show you who you are."
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

"...he knew what was going on prior to getting there. He knew the deal."

The stone cold truth. ^^

"He don't have any street sense. I babied him."
    Sadly a whole mess of parents raise their children in this world having no 'sense'. The results range from being generally naive to being out right clueless. Nothing that is of benefit to the child toward survival in life.

And what kind of family are they that their friends with known criminal persons to eat at their table amongst generally impressionable and known to be a dim bulb male teen. I do not and will not have my children interacting with and sharing meals with known predators. Especially one who is a "a convicted robber who again was charged with robbery in November".

An unfortunate case this is, but saddest not for these people but that of the _victim_ who now has to live with having killed a man in order to save his own life. That will and does shake most average normal people to their core.
    Malik and his mother Hamidah Hameed can think on that over the next few decades to life.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    This goes back to that old saying "Show me who your friends are and I will show you who you are."
    +1. I hate that the first words out of anyone's mouth these days is "he is disabled in some way, don't blame him, etc." That totally discounts those who truly have disabilities that don't commit crimes!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Police say Malik Hameed and Patrick Cortez Levert, 26, were shot Sunday in the 100 block of Cotton Avenue Southwest while trying to rob a 39-year-old man at gunpoint.

The man pulled a gun and shot both, police said.
    It sounds like the Police would rather the 39yo big meanie with a gun was shot instead of the poor innocent armed robbers just trying to earn a living.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    It sounds like the Police would rather the 39yo big meanie with a gun was shot instead of the poor innocent armed robbers just trying to earn a living.
    I didn't read it that way, must be the way it was reported.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I too Paco did not read it that way.
    It's just a statement of fact is all.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    The kids is crying to Momma cause his friend got shot. Had they been successful, they would have moved on and robbed someone else.

The more crime that they get away with, the bolder they become, its well documented. Eventually, later on down the road, someone would have gotten hurt.

In this case, that may not happen because a man that chose to defend himself ended it before it got started.

Sad? Not hardly.
    I'm glad that he is out of the picture for at least awhile.

I'm glad for the man that won the encounter...at gunpoint.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Though Hameed didn't shoot Levert, he is charged with capital murder because he was a conspirator in a crime that resulted in death, police said.
    THAT is really all that needs to be known, IMO. He knew his involvement was wrong; that the crime was a crime; that such activities could easily result in harm to people; and that he was an integral and willing partner in that harm. The fact that lethal force was used during the crime merely underscores the severity and intolerable nature of his stupidity. The appropriate response is exactly what's coming to him.

What's sad is that ~20+ years @ $50K+/yr is going to be coughed up to deliver him three hots and a cot, for HIS crimes and destruction of others' lives.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No sympathy here. All I got out of the mother's side was:

He's a good boy and was turning his life around.

Sorry if that sounds cold but if it was my son, he'd have to do the time. Not saying I wouldnt help him any way I could but...

I'm sick of hearing excuses. I say slam dunk this punk.

He participated in an armed robbery--now he can pay the price.

He doesn't respect the lives and property of others? Now we won't respect his.

Let him search for his peace in prison, where he cannot attempt another armed robbery of some innocent guy walking down the sidewalk.

How long will we as a society coddle these offenders with slaps on the wrists and early releases?

Being the sensitive guy I am...I say, "Who's got the alcohol swabs?"

No mercy here, these thugs got exactly what they deserve...instant death for one, and a follow-up injection for the other.

Stay armedl...these thugs are everywhere...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links