2 ND's in my neighborhood last night

This is a discussion on 2 ND's in my neighborhood last night within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My step daughter who I've began teaching gun safety to sent me this link about what happened in my neighborhood last night. Two Acreage residents ...

Thread: 2 ND's in my neighborhood last night

2 ND's in my neighborhood last night

My step daughter who I've began teaching gun safety to sent me this link about what happened in my neighborhood last night.
    Two Acreage residents accidentally shoot selves -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Two different residents shot themselves accidentally last night while investigating possible burglaries. This was two seperate incidents. With the rise in gun ownership and not enough education on the new owners part are we going to see more ND's like this. Maybe I should send my neighbors the link to this site. This lesson also helps with the safety education of my stepdaughter. Keep your finger off the trigger until it's on the object you want to destroy.

Two Acreage residents accidentally shot themselves about an hour apart this morning in what appeared to be unrelated cases, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said.

A man shot his right hand while trying to put his gun in a holster about 2 a.m. at his home on the 18300 block of 46th Court North, said Eric Davis, spokesman for Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

About an hour later, a woman in her 30s thought she heard a burglar breaking into her home on the 18800 block of 46th Court North, reached for her gun and shot herself in the pinky, Davis said.

Of both shootings, Davis said, "Because of the time-frame distance and location, they don't appear related."

Davis said paramedics arrived to help both people, whom police didn't identify. He said each of their wounds didn't appear life-threatening.
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

What's going on down their in the Gun-shine state? Something in the water or what?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

dumb people
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    With the rise in gun ownership and not enough education on the new owners part are we going to see more ND's like this.
    IMHO: Yes

At least this didn't happen while "cleaning" the gun. I can see how a newbee, being all nervous and what not isn't practicing proper safety protocol while investigating a possible breaking. Reading this forum helps. At least stories like this make you aware of the risk.
    (no... I don't think its "dumb people" in this case... for many, instinct is to keep the finger on the trigger if they never even considered about proper procedure to clear a house... all it takes is tripping over a toy)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Aw.....GEEZ! And Sixto's post the other day about an ND and all. Is this going to be an epidemic for the next few weeks or what? The more there are, the more the government will want to save us from ourselves. I hate to see this type of headlines, but I will say I have no sympathy for those who shoot themselves with their own weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    What's going on down their in the Gun-shine state? Something in the water or what?
    Not really, it's just that the guns are not in the holsters...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Unfortunately stories like this give the Brady Center to Promote Violence more fodder to pressure more anti-civil rights laws.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    With the rise in gun ownership and not enough education on the new owners part are we going to see more ND's like this.
    I'm afraid I have to agree. Reminds me of the thread on taking a class or passing a test to get a CCW. One person implied that it's already too late since they have the guns. Really, a VERY basic course would be enough to reduce this type of thing. The NRA has a number of courses, but I don't ever recall seeing a 'Firearms 101' version.

Links