News coverage of 2 self-defense incidents: 1 good, 1 horrible

This is a discussion on News coverage of 2 self-defense incidents: 1 good, 1 horrible within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting clip contrasting the news coverage of 2 separate incidents. Ed Driscoll.com: To The Memory Hole And Back I searched for Driscoll and Rebecca Aguilar ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News coverage of 2 self-defense incidents: 1 good, 1 horrible

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

News coverage of 2 self-defense incidents: 1 good, 1 horrible

Interesting clip contrasting the news coverage of 2 separate incidents.

Ed Driscoll.com: To The Memory Hole And Back

I searched for Driscoll and Rebecca Aguilar in this forum, found nothing, so I think this is new here.

2. Remove Ads

Why they even bothered interviewing the old guy for buying another shotgun and why did the police take away his other shotguns was wrong
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Yes, very interesting it's why I can't watch the biased media. Good to see the 2 old time vets get the best of the BG's. Also the outrage of the audience got Miss condescending liberal info-wench canned, NICE!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Why they even bothered interviewing the old guy for buying another shotgun and why did the police take away his other shotguns was wrong
    I agree that the whole tone of the Dallas interview was wrong and it seems to me obvious she had an agenda against the man. As far as taking the shotguns, well, they are eveidence and would need to be held as such until the disposition of the grand jury trial. It is just remarkable that the two incidents occured in such a short time that they had not completed the grand jury process yet.

Good for the veterans, bad for the reporter from Dallas and the bad guys.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Administrator
    I just dont talk to people dressed like Barney. Its been a good policy for me so far.
    "Just blame Sixto"

[QUOTE=SIXTO I just dont talk to people dressed like Barney. Its been a good policy for me so far.[/QUOTE]+1 NICELY SAID

Give the old guys points for chutzpah!!

That reporter is a disgrace, how dare she try to make a villain out of a victim.

The reporter may someday get her 'turn in the barrel'...we'll see what she thinks about crime then...

I say congrats to the old guy for making it 2 for 2...NEXT?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think the reporter was suspended recently, and I think it was for this story. Do any of the other DFW folks remeber this?

As far as taking the shotguns, well, they are eveidence and would need to be held as such until the disposition of the grand jury trial.

This is one of the differences between TX and OK law. In OK the prosecutor does not have to it to the grand jury. Our prosecutor had declined to take three righteous shooting cases to the grand jury in the past year or so.

The only recourse the the family of the deceased perp has is to take up a petition for a grand jury. That will not work in a well publicized righteous shooting case.

Quote Originally Posted by ws76133 View Post
    I think the reporter was suspended recently, and I think it was for this story. Do any of the other DFW folks remember this?
    Driscoll mentioned somewhere in the video's commentary that Aguilar was eventually fired over this.

Driscoll mentioned somewhere in the video's commentary that Aguilar was eventually fired over this.
    She was canned.

Reporter Who Badgered Elderly Robbery Victim Fired | NewsBusters.org

In a telephone interview Wednesday night, Aguilar, 49, said she was checking her mail at mid-afternoon that day when she noticed an envelope under her front door mat. It informed her that Fox4 was exercising an option to drop her at the halfway point of a two-year contract that began on March 6, 2007.

"No doorbell, no knock on the door," said Aguilar, who had been on paid suspension since Oct. 16th following her controversial interview with an elderly West Dallas salvage business owner who had shot and killed two alleged burglars within three weeks time.

As we reported last October, the Dallas police are defending Walton's actions. According to some reports Mr. Walton has made over 40 calls to police concerning break ins.

Police said Mr. Walton is allowed to protect his property. No charges were filed against him Sunday, though the case will be referred to a grand jury, police said.

"He's got a right to defend his property. What gives a stranger the right to go in and vandalize or burglarize his business?" said Dallas police Sgt. Gene Reyes. "He's within every legal right to do this."

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    If he "committed no crime" , why are the police keeping his other 2 shotguns ??? Seems to me, that's an issue he should address with them. The Police Dept have no basis to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    If he "committed no crime" , why are the police keeping his other 2 shotguns ???
    In every SD shooting report I've ever read, the police always impounded any involved firearm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links