I had to draw my gun in Orlando last week.

This is a discussion on I had to draw my gun in Orlando last week. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was in Orlando Saturday with my wife and soon to be 4 year old boy. We had dinner with some friends on International Drive ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I had to draw my gun in Orlando last week.

I had to draw my gun in Orlando last week.

I was in Orlando Saturday with my wife and soon to be 4 year old boy.

We had dinner with some friends on International Drive at one of the strip mallish places. If you know the area, the strip malls are perpendicular to the street with parking on the side and in back. We had no choice but to park in back if we wanted a spot.

After dinner we parted ways, and my wife, boy, and I started walking to our parking spot. When we got within 30 yds of our car, my wife and I simultaneously noticed what could only be described as a "lurking guy" with his right hand in his jacket pocket.

My wife and I made eye contact and she quickly moved my son to the other side of the car, putting the car between her and the bg. I then walked in the same direction, drawing my gun and turning to face the bg as I came around the back of my car, with the bg following. He then started to come around the back, then stopped, turned around and walked quickly away.

My wife thinks he heard the gun clear leather. I think he saw the way I positioned myself. A good friend who I relayed the story to thinks he may have seen my shoulder rise as I drew the gun. My neighbor the fed says its a good thing the bad guy was a dumb ass and allowed me to dictate positioning.

The conversation afterward with my wife centered on the following.

1) I probably would have prevailed in a justifiable shooting had the goblin continued.

2) Our lives would have been forever altered by the aftermath of police investigation, possible criminal and civil legal defense, shoulda coulda woulda guilt feelings, trauma for Jr., etc...

3) The moral of the story to me is you are not paranoid if you either find a better parking spot, go somewhere else, or go home.
    The Marshmallowist

2. Remove Ads

Glad everything turned out ok for you and that you were able to move th BG where you wanted him

Administrator

Thumbs up Close Call soflasmg

And Thankfully you'll now never know just how close.
    A nice dinner should never be "topped off" with a tragedy for dessert.
    Well, another one of those countless times every year when HAVING a firearm "on person" likely prevented something possibly NASTY from happening.
    Glad that you were AWARE of what was going on around you.
    Your Family is very fortunate to have a good protector.
    Good Show!
    Happy that everything worked out OK.
    I know that you are extremely happy that you decided to pack that firearm.
    Very nicely accomplished!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Very good job. Awareness and tactics won the day without having to use your firearm. Glad it turned out well.

I know where you are talking about- we were just in that area a couple of months ago. It isn't the best parking situation as you mentioned.

Does FL have a law against carrying in a restaraunt that serves alcohol like GA does?

Glad things turned out the way they did...survival instinct, however, is NOT paranoia.

Regards,

Fred
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

VIP Member
    Whatever it was that told the BG to get the flock out of there, it worked and you and your family are safe.

Hawkeye, Florida Law allows you to eat at a restaurant that serves alcohol provided that you do not sit at the bar.
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'm curious. Everyone always talks about legal "mess" after a shooting. All of the news reports that I've read never mention any repricussions period. They always end with "charges will not be filed against ...."

What's the Dealio???
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Glad everyone is safe, and that you got to keep your dinner :P

Jarhead, _criminal_ charges will not be filed.. civil charges happen far more often. Mama BG was deprived of her precious son, who never did anything wrong...

Luckily, I've never been involved in a shooting. With any luck, that's the way it'll stay. From everything I've read, even if criminal charges aren't filed, you are still likely to loose everything trying to settle the civil charges. Beats being dead by a large margin.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    Look at it from the point of view of the Police. An Officer gets a call of shots fired at a location and not much more information. Upon arrival he sees you, gun in hand next to a body bleeding in the ground. Although you are a law abiding citizen and put your gun away, the Officer will draw his gun and command you to hit the ground. Soon after you will sport a new pair of hancuffs and, while not under arrest, you are starting to feel mistreated. You are ticked because a bad guy tried to put your lights out, you survived the fight and now, adrenalin still pumping, this damn cop is treating you like crap! From the point of view of the Officer, he doesn't know who is the BG and who is GG. He and the other officerts arriving must secure you and the scene and start taking statements, call detectives and do whatever is needed to clear what happened. Again, they do not have the information and, sorry to say but understandable, they are not gonna take your word for it, they'd been lied to way too mant times. You will be interrogated like a suspect...well, because you are one at this time. You did take a human life or at least wounded one human being with a firearm.
    if you have witnesses, video surveillance tapes and the local priest saying it was self defense, it might be up to the DA to say it was Self Defense and say that you won't be prosecuted. Of course, it is 3 am and mr DA is sleeping at home so he cannot be bothered. You will be taken to the station and interrogated once more and, if the detective doesn't like you or you contradict yourself or seem dubitative, you might be in for a loooong night because they will think you are lying and build a case based on what you say.
    Remember, LEO have been lied that day, the day before and every frigging day. Understandably, they are not gonna be too trusty with you until they are damn sure it is a righteous shooting.
    I am not LEO, but I don't think I am off the mark by too much. And God help you if your case lands on the hands of a politically ambitious DA.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

"Make My Day" Law in Florida....

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff
    Jarhead, _criminal_ charges will not be filed.. civil charges happen far more often. Mama BG was deprived of her precious son, who never did anything wrong...From everything I've read, even if criminal charges aren't filed, you are still likely to loose everything trying to settle the civil charges. Beats being dead by a large margin.
    THIS is why it is soooo important to have castle doctrine laws similar to what we just passed here in Florida! Now, if you are attacked in an area where you are able to legitimately carry and you respond to the attack with deadly force it eliminates the previous duty to retreat. More importantly, a "good shooting" that is justifiable on the face of it automatically bars a zealous prosecutor from filing AND it bars the BG or his estate from filing a lawsuit! If you don't have this law in your state, get busy and notify your reps to take a look at the Florida model and build your own legislation.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    This case is (usefully) one of those many where possession of and presentation of (even partial) a firearm avoids any escalation into an actual fight. Best result every time.

When parked up we are committed - to get home we almost certainly have to go retrieve said vehicle - and so this scenario is one of those where retreat/escape is less than ideal.

Glad it turned out OK - and glad too as you must have been, to have been aware and armed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Glad to hear everything turned out alright. I was just curious if you notified the police of this guy lurking around the parking lot? Not everyone is as aware of their surroundings and packing as you are and notifying the law may help someone in the future. I suppose you don't have to tell them you drew your firearm.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I did not notify police. I considered it, but no crime had been commited.
    The Marshmallowist

VIP Member
    I'm very glad you and your family are safe. Well done!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links