Bad: Married Police Officers Placed on Leave

This is a discussion on Bad: Married Police Officers Placed on Leave within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | Married Police Officers Placed on Leave <<Back Married Police Officers Placed on Leave ...

Thread: Bad: Married Police Officers Placed on Leave

Bad: Married Police Officers Placed on Leave

News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | Married Police Officers Placed on Leave

<<Back

Married Police Officers Placed on Leave

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 10:38 PM

Updated: Dec 17, 2008 08:28 PM
    David Burnett and his wife are now on paid leave following another domestic dispute.

By Dave Jordan, NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Lieutenant Jo Ann Burnett and her husband were both placed on paid administrative leave from the Oklahoma City Police Department following a series of domestic disputes.

Outlined in a probable cause affidavit, Jo Ann Burnett said she pointed a firearm at her husband, Officer David Burnett, after a fight. Both Burnetts were taken into custody and questioned.

Jo Ann Burnett feared for her life, according to the affidavit. After a night of arguing and fighting with her husband, she called her mother and said she thought her husband was going to kill her. During the conversation, she grabbed her police-issued gun, pointed it at David Burnett. He grabbed it and the gun went off.

Jo Ann Burnett said her husband threw her on the ground by her hair, pulled off her shirt and pulled down her pants.

According to David's version of events, his wife pushed him repeatedly and both of them scratched and grabbed at each other during the argument.

The incident isn't the first time police have responded to the Burnett house on a domestic complaint. In May, David Burnett was arrested after another fight, which is still under investigation.

Jo Ann Burnett is now facing charges of pointing a firearm at another person.

If convicted, Jo Ann Burnett could face up to a year in county jail and a $1,000 fine. She could also lose her conceal and carry license.

Jo Ann Burnett is expected to turn herself into authorities Wednesday.

All content Copyright 2000-2007, WorldNow and KWTV. All Rights Reserved.
    For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. Help Page.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Married Police Officers Placed on Leave

Posted: Dec 16, 2008 10:38 PM

Updated: Dec 17, 2008 08:28 PM
    David Burnett and his wife are now on paid leave following another domestic dispute.

By Dave Jordan, NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Lieutenant Jo Ann Burnett and her husband were both placed on paid administrative leave from the Oklahoma City Police Department following a series of domestic disputes.

Outlined in a probable cause affidavit, Jo Ann Burnett said she pointed a firearm at her husband, Officer David Burnett, after a fight. Both Burnetts were taken into custody and questioned.

Jo Ann Burnett feared for her life, according to the affidavit. After a night of arguing and fighting with her husband, she called her mother and said she thought her husband was going to kill her. During the conversation, she grabbed her police-issued gun, pointed it at David Burnett. He grabbed it and the gun went off.

Jo Ann Burnett said her husband threw her on the ground by her hair, pulled off her shirt and pulled down her pants.

According to David's version of events, his wife pushed him repeatedly and both of them scratched and grabbed at each other during the argument.

The incident isn't the first time police have responded to the Burnett house on a domestic complaint. In May, David Burnett was arrested after another fight, which is still under investigation.

Jo Ann Burnett is now facing charges of pointing a firearm at another person.

If convicted, Jo Ann Burnett could face up to a year in county jail and a $1,000 fine. She could also lose her conceal and carry license.

Jo Ann Burnett is expected to turn herself into authorities Wednesday.

Doesn't sound to me like either of them should have a permit, badge, or access to weapons...but they do appear to be a 'match made in heaven'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Texas at least one of these 2 would most likely be uneligible to be a cop any longer. Probably both. Such is the price for a family violence conviction.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Wow, what a sad state. I would hope that they both would lose their badges and carry permits. They definitely need some marriage counseling.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Wow, what a sad state. I would hope that they both would lose their badges and carry permits. They definitely need some marriage counseling.
    Or boxing gloves!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I believe a domestic abuse charge prevents a person from owing a firearm. I do remember back when that was pushed through there was an effort to exempt police officers. I assume that this exemption was granted?

Michael

I believe a domestic abuse charge prevents a person from owing a firearm. I do remember back when that was pushed through there was an effort to exempt police officers. I assume that this exemption was granted?

There are no exemptions for the police or the military: Nor should there be. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was extended in 2005. It will be extended again in 2010.

See link:

USDOJ: OVW : Federal Laws and Legislation

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    There are no exemptions for the police or the military: Nor should there be. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was extended in 2005. It will be extended again in 2010.

See link:

USDOJ: OVW : Federal Laws and Legislation
    Thanks for the answer. I do recall the outcry about all the police that could possibly lose their jobs if it went into effect as originally written.
    At the time I had many discussions with friends on the force about it.

In the article I posted it said this wasn't the first abuse call. Thats why I was wondering why they had a firearm in the house.

Michael

ain't love grand?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    D-I-V-O-R-C-E.

And probably a change of jobs would do them both some good, too.

And everyone else.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I found this link.
    Federal Law Firearms & Ammunition Prohibitions

It seems in the original bill that LEO's were exempt. Later this restriction was removes but the FOP filed lawsuit challenging the law.
    Anyone know how it turned out?

Michael

Anyone know how it turned out?

Yep, the FOP lost. Hit the link that I posted. There is no exemption in the 2005 extension of VAWA for police or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Yep, the FOP lost. Hit the link that I posted. There is no exemption in the 2005 extension of VAWA for police or anyone else.
    Thanks much....

Michael

Cops should never marry. Look at the divorce rates.
    And NEVER marry a woman that outranks you!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links