GOOD: Man Stops And Holds Intruder For Police - Malvern, AR

This is a discussion on GOOD: Man Stops And Holds Intruder For Police - Malvern, AR within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Update: Malvern Man Holds Intruder At Gunpoint Until Police Arrive - todaysthv.com | KTHV | Little Rock, AR A Malvern family gets an unexpected visitor ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Update: Malvern Man Holds Intruder At Gunpoint Until Police Arrive - todaysthv.com | KTHV | Little Rock, AR

A Malvern family gets an unexpected visitor in their home and the next to arrive is police.

Advertisement

It started out as a normal morning for the Newborns last Thursday, but as Lester Newborn was getting out of the shower he says his worst fears were realized as he heard his daughter scream "There's someone in the house!"

Lester Newborn adds, "I have no idea what she was planning on doing all I know is she came in my house."

Newborn says the intruder probably walked through the neighborhood looking for an open door or window and happened to find theirs. "I was messing with Christmas lights outside and I left a window unlocked and that's the window she came through."

His daughter Brittney Newborn adds, "She came in through my bedroom window and she took the screen off and she just came in. I heard her making noise in my room I was in another room I just came in to see what it was and she was just standing right there."

Brittney says as she screamed for her dad she left the room and he walked in with a .357 hand gun.

Newborn adds, "We're all blessed because evidently she was on some kind of drugs or something because she didn't resist at all. The weapon is for protection in my home and I'm glad and thankful I didn't have to shoot her."

Malvern Police tell us they do patrol more often during the holidays, but it is up to you to make sure your home is safe and secure and if you have a registered gun you have the right to protect yourself.

Detective Randy Neal with Malvern Police says, "You don't want to take anyone's life and chances are you never know what their intentions are he did the right thing he never pulled the trigger on her."

Detective Neal says they've had a string of robberies this holiday season. He continues, "Just keep everything locked that's a big deterrent usually when we get residential burglaries because it's not locked 90 percent of the time."

The Newborns say they learned their lesson and this Christmas will be especially meaningful.

Brittney says, "It will be different for me because it will make me extra thankful for my family and so thankful that this situation didn't turn out tragically."

Police say the intruder is 30-year-old Jennifer Draper. She's being charged with residential burglary and held on $5,000 bond.

Days earlier in Hot Spring County a homeowner held two intruders at gun point. Police say they had items in their car from previous burglaries.
    Well, Dad obviously needs to start locking doors and windows, but thankfully everything turned out alright.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Moderator
    Malvern Police tell us they do patrol more often during the holidays, but it is up to you to make sure your home is safe and secure and if you have a registered gun you have the right to protect yourself.
    More creative reporting.
    There is no such thing as a "registered gun" in Arkansas. I wish these danged foreigners would get it right, just once.

And if you dont have a registered gun you dont have the right to protect yourself? The idiots are everywhere it seems...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This just in...

Crime Spree Tonight On DC Forum...WTH?

Newborns Face a Dirtbag...

Game called prior to a final score...

This female dirtbag is lucky to be alive...I don't know if I'd be asking questions when finding a stranger who just climbed through my daughter's bedroom window.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; December 20th, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This just in...

Crime Spree Tonight On DC Forum...WTH?

Newborns Face a Dirtbag...

Game called prior to a final score...
    Naa. CT-Mike is either bored or on a roll. Mayhap graduated from Google-Kwon-Do to Googitsu
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Naa. CT-Mike is either bored or on a roll. Mayhap graduated from Google-Kwon-Do to Googitsu
    Nah, I am still a white belt in google-kwon-do, I just happened to come upon a particularly rich source of self-defense related stories and had the time to post them.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Nah, I am still a white belt in google-kwon-do, I just happened to come upon a particularly rich source of self-defense related stories and had the time to post them.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by KTHV View Post
    Newborn adds, "We're all blessed because evidently she was on some kind of drugs or something because she didn't resist at all. The weapon is for protection in my home and I'm glad and thankful I didn't have to shoot her."
    Good for Newborn. I'm glad he didn't go all tactical and shoot the woman. No need. She really doesn't appear to have been a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This female dirtbag is lucky to be alive...I don't know if I'd be asking questions when finding a stranger who just climbed through my daughter's bedroom window.
    You would shoot an unarmed drug-addled woman? I wouldn't. I'd determine if she were a threat, like Newborn did. If not a threat, then just call the cops and let them take over.

OK, so - question time (and maybe this belongs in another section): You find an intruder in your house, you get the drop on them and have them at gunpoint. Do you tell them to get out, or do you hold them for the cops? I taken a *lot* of training, but among my instructors there's no consensus. Opinons?

Senior Moderator
    You let them out with out any consequences and its just a matter of time until they come back. I say hold em and let the cops thow them in jail for at least a little while.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You let them out with out any consequences and its just a matter of time until they come back. I say hold em and let the cops thow them in jail for at least a little while.

And if they attempt to leave? What then, if they make it out they are going to attack someone else.

Michael

If they get up ans simply start to walk out, not much you can do. You are not in jeopardy, and unless your state has provisions for using force to stop a fleeing felon, and they have committed or are committing a felony by leaving...you are sol, and could be charged with kidnapping, or assault in some states. It matters not that they broke into your house. If they have not done anything, it is a simple misdemeanor B&E or trespass.

I would absolutely take a picture of them.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    OK, so ...You find an intruder in your house, you get the drop on them and have them at gunpoint. Do you tell them to get out, or do you hold them for the cops? I taken a *lot* of training, but among my instructors there's no consensus. Opinons?
    The huge variable in answering your question is which state you live in. The second most important variable is the county in which you live.

Here's one example to support my assertion. This is what is acceptable in St. Clair County in, of all places, Illinois.:

Dec. 12, 2008
    Dupo homeowner thwarts, handcuffs burglar
    BY JENNIFER BOWEN
    News-Democrat

A Dupo resident fought back and made a citizen's arrest when a man attempted to burglarize his home in the middle of the day.

A St. Clair County sheriff's deputy responded at 1:16 p.m. Dec. 3 to a burglary in progress call in the 2800 block of Stolle Road in Dupo.

When deputy Cerether White arrived, he found Eric L. Kirk, 35, of 117 S. Fourth St. in Dupo, handcuffed outside the home with the 35-year-old homeowner kneeling on him.

The homeowner told White that Kirk had knocked on his door, and he didn't recognize him when he looked out the window. The homeowner tried to run the license plate on a blue minivan Kirk was standing near but could not read the entire plate, so he decided to get his gun, according to the police report.

When the homeowner, whose name was not released by the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department, retrieved his gun and returned to the door, his dogs started barking. That's when he noticed Kirk and the van were gone. The homeowner told police he then saw the van backed up to his garage and Kirk using a crow bar to try to open the garage door.

The homeowner called 911 to report the crime in progress and then fired two rounds into the ground near Kirk.

According to the police report, Kirk ran to the van and attempted to get away when the homeowner grabbed him, wrestled him to the ground and slapped handcuffs on him with the assistance of a neighbor.

"After interviewing the victim and a witness, (it was determined that) the victim shot his firearm in defense of his life and his home," said Capt. Steve Johnson, chief investigator for the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department. "Although law enforcement never wants citizens to take the law into their own hands, in this incident, it was a volatile situation."

Kirk has been charged with attempted burglary. His bail is set at $25,000, and he remains in custody in the St. Clair County Jail.

Dupo homeowner thwarts, handcuffs burglar - Crime & Controversy - Belleville News-Democrat

[Note: Familial relations with the sheriff in your county may be another important variable... ]

I don't see how I missed the original post for this long. I have friends that live in Malvern. Comment on the "break-in"? Securing your own fortress could eliminate some of the possibilities. The media portrayals? Sometimes you have to filter through the muck and just find the facts. I don't like the media misleading the public with unfounded words. To me that's just uneducated dumbness.

i would try to hold them for the cops,but if they just ran away i would not tackle them.
    just give police a good description.
    taking a picture is a good idea.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Links