GOOD: Liquor Store Owner Stops Robbery - Largo, MD

This is a discussion on GOOD: Liquor Store Owner Stops Robbery - Largo, MD within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Liquor Store Owner Kills Would-be Robber|ABC 7 News LARGO, Md. - The co-owner of a Largo liquor shot and killed a man during an ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Police: Liquor Store Owner Kills Would-be Robber|ABC 7 News

LARGO, Md. - The co-owner of a Largo liquor shot and killed a man during an attempted robbery Friday, police said.

Bill Miles, another co-owner of Kettering Liquors, was there. He saw the shooting. He says the would-be robber came in with a gun and a struggle ensued. Officers say it ended when Miles' business partner pulled out his gun and shot the man.

"There were a lot of us in the tussle and so it didn't work out too well for the other guy," Miles said. "It's tragic. Somebody died today. Good news is, it wasn't one of us. It was the bad guy."

The owner who shot the man was identified as Bill Robertson by Carolyn Tucker, a store employee.

"He must have thought somebody was going to get hurt," she said.

Tucker arrived for work around 8:30 Friday morning. She was met by police officers, crime scene tape and the news one of her employers shot and killed a robber. Tucker said it was the first hold-up she knew of at Kettering Liquors.

Solly Sellers, a Kettering Liquor customer, defended the co-owner's actions: "Would you defend yourself if you got robbed? Sure you should defend yourself. Why not?"

The co-owner who opened fire has not been charged. Investigators will determine whether the shooting was justified.

A handgun was recovered from the deceased man at the scene, police said.

Neighboring business owners in the shopping center say the area has been plagued with crime. The liquor store is protected by bars on its windows and, according to a friend of the owner, it has barbed wire in the ceiling to protect against burglars who come in through the roof.

Kevin McMann, another merchant in the Largo Plaza, said, "It's unfortunate for the robber, but it, you know, had to be done, in my opinion. Maybe it'll send a message out to other people: Don't mess with the owners."
    If I was the business owner/shooter, I would have a serious talk with Ms. Tucker about flapping her lips. She had absolutely no business identifying the shooter. Hopefully he won't be subject to any retribution.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Seems like there are more would-be-robbers than honest customers now-a-days.
    The dirtbag came in flashing a gun...these store workers are lucky to have been prepared.

I also agree with CT-Mike...zip the lips if you become a victim.

Stay armed... ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That was my first thought Mike.
    If she were my employee she'd be out of a job.

My second thought was how the heck did this guy get an okay to keep a gun in his store or on his person (!!!), in Maryland!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Actually Janq, IIRC if you own a business or are an employee with the owners persmission you can be armed while on the property or in the conduct of that business without permit in Maryland. Now they may have changed that since I had to worry about such things.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Links