GOOD: Man Defends His Castle - Manatee, FL

This is a discussion on GOOD: Man Defends His Castle - Manatee, FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man reports shooting intruder - Breaking News - Bradenton.com MANATEE — A Bradenton man reported shooting a man who came into his house and put ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Man reports shooting intruder - Breaking News - Bradenton.com

MANATEE — A Bradenton man reported shooting a man who came into his house and put a gun to his girlfriend’s head early this morning, according to a Manatee County Sheriff’s Office report.

The 52-year-old homeowner said his girlfriend, 47, opened the door to their home, in the 6500 block of Wellesley Drive, just before 2 a.m. this morning. The girlfriend told deputies a man at the door tried to push his way in, while a second man with a gun got into the house and put a gun to her head, according to sheriff reports.

The boyfriend said he came back from getting a gun and opened fire on the gunman when he saw the gun to his girlfriend’s head. The boyfriend, who claimed his shot hit the gunman, said he only saw one person in his house, while the girlfriend said two men were there.

Sarasota authorities later reported to Manatee detectives that a gunshot victim had checked into a hospital there. Manatee detectives have interviewed the man, who had a gunshot wound to the hand, but have not confirmed whether he was the man involved in the Manatee shooting. No arrests have yet been made.
    Good on the boyfriend.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

This just in...

The Florida Home Invasion Tourney

Bradenton Couple Team 2

Dirtbags' Team 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

BG has gun to girlfriend's head, so he can't defend against armed homeowner without losing the tactical advantage of having the hostage at gunpoint. Still, once homeowner fired on him, the BG could so easily have killed her. Homeowner wasn't aware of a second intruder (focusing so much on the guy holding girlfriend, he couldn't see anything else); that could have been very bad for him if the second BG was armed and shot back from a flanking position.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the homeowner; he was in a difficult position and it came out his way. Good for him and the girlfriend. If she ever complained about him keeping guns around, she won't any more.

Wow.... WAY to close to home. Will have to show this to the wife as further proof of why I keep my handgun handy and shotgun not far away.

In a situation like this, it definitely doesn't matter what drama the girlfriend may have with past ex's... once you pass my door you become MY problem and you do not want that!

She opened the door at 2 a.m. to speak to an unknown male?

I wonder if they were having a party, or perhaps expecting customers of some sort.

This might have been easily avoided just by not opening the door.

None of us were there, of course, but I have to agree with Jofrdo that it is fortunate the perp didn't just pull the trigger on the girlfriend.

I have to wonder what I might have done -- you return with your gun, and the perp has a gun to the girlfriend's head. Are you sure enough of your skills to place a round in the ocular cavity? That's the only shot that could prevent the perp from pulling the trigger.

I think I would enter without brandishing my weapon, then try and draw the fire with verbal commands, then return fire. I'd rather be the one to take the round, as a torso shot is typically more survivable than any head shot.

This is armchair quarterbacking, of course. Sounds like the boyfriend did OK.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    She opened the door at 2 a.m. to speak to an unknown male?

I wonder if they were having a party, or perhaps expecting customers of some sort.

This might have been easily avoided just by not opening the door.
    yes, how about asking who is it or looking out the window first at 2a.m.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Links