GOOD: Maintenance Man Defends Against Knife-Wielding Attacker - North Fairmount, OH

GOOD: Maintenance Man Defends Against Knife-Wielding Attacker - North Fairmount, OH

This is a discussion on GOOD: Maintenance Man Defends Against Knife-Wielding Attacker - North Fairmount, OH within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Argument leads to fatal shooting | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com NORTH FAIRMOUNT – Kenneth Phelps was not going to let an exterminator into his apartment, ...

Thread: GOOD: Maintenance Man Defends Against Knife-Wielding Attacker - North Fairmount, OH

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Argument leads to fatal shooting | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com

NORTH FAIRMOUNT – Kenneth Phelps was not going to let an exterminator into his apartment, no matter what.
    Advertisement

This act cost him his life, according to police.

Phelps, 40, who lived in an apartments at 3344 McHenry Ave., had been served eviction papers earlier in the week, police said.

When the building’s maintenance man came with the exterminator Wednesday afternoon to spray the building, as he does every third Wednesday of the month, Phelps would not let them in, police said.

“It is my understanding that (Phelps) took exception to it. He was angry,” said Dr. O’dell Owens, the Hamilton County coroner.

The men began to argue. During the fight, Phelps left his apartment and pulled out a knife. The maintenance man, whom police did not identify, then shot Phelps once in the chest with a handgun that he was carrying legally, according to police.

Phelps was pronounced dead at the scene.

“It’s always sad for anyone to feel so strongly about any issue that they have to resort to bringing out a knife, and it’s sad that a building manager has to carry a gun,” Owens said. “That’s what shocked me. But that tells you what the neighborhood is like.”

Shirley Lisembee, 49, agreed about the danger. She has lived across the street from the building since 1993.

Lisembee is not surprised that the maintenance man was carrying a gun.

“A lot of crime happens here,” she said. “A lot of people just have to be prepared.”

Lisembee didn’t know the maintenance man well, but they’d spoken before and he was always friendly, she said.

“I’d wave and he’d wave back,” she said. “He does a good job at taking care of the building.” Lisembee said that he had been working there for a few years.

Police said no arrests have been made. The shooting remains under investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Criminal Investigation Section at 513-352-3542 or Crimestoppers at 513-352-3040. Callers may remain anonymous and may receive compensation for their information.
    Obviously Dr. Owens doesn't get out of the morgue much if he can't see why the maintenance man needs to carry a gun. It seems the apartment can't be all that nice if they need to be sprayed for bugs every month.

Good on the maintenance man for being prepared.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

OK, I'll be the first one to remind everyone..."Don't bring a knife to a gunfight...you seldom win."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    OK, I'll be the first one to remind everyone..."Don't bring a knife to a gunfight...you seldom win."
    ditto....unless you are the ultimate mall ninja
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Fastest eviction process on record.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sponsored Links