Good, & Sad: Man Killed While Burglarizing Home - Columbus, GA

This is a discussion on Good, & Sad: Man Killed While Burglarizing Home - Columbus, GA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Columbus Man Killed While Burlarizing A Home | WRBL - News 3, Columbus GA and Opelika-Auburn AL Police tell News Three 52-year-old Ludwig Grudisher was ...

Thread: Good, & Sad: Man Killed While Burglarizing Home - Columbus, GA

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Good, & Sad: Man Killed While Burglarizing Home - Columbus, GA

Columbus Man Killed While Burlarizing A Home | WRBL - News 3, Columbus GA and Opelika-Auburn AL

Police tell News Three 52-year-old Ludwig Grudisher was burglarizing a home off of Reese Road when he was shot.

The homeowner discovered Grudisher outside of the home in his vehicle and fired in self defense.

Police say Grudisher died from being shot in the face.

The homeowner is not being charged in this homicide because it was on his property.

Police are still investigating this incident.

Stay with News Three for the latest information.
    Not a lot of information on this one.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Just found another story with some more information:

Ledger-Enquirer.com | 12/22/2008 | Accused burglar shot by relative

A Columbus man police say was fatally shot Saturday night by a relative had just burglarized the relative’s home and was trying to run him down. This latest slaying pushes the total of Columbus homicides to 28 for the year.

Ludwig Grudisher, 52, of 2959 Reese Road was shot once around 9:45 p.m. by a shotgun blast as he was driving a pickup truck toward his 22-year-old stepson, said Columbus Police Sgt. Matt Blackstock. No charges have been filed in the case.

Grudisher had been rifling through the stepson’s garage, which is less than 150 feet from where Grudisher lived on Reese Road. Blackstock said he was taking items such as lawn trimmers and loading them into the truck.

“He heard the crashing and the banging around,” the sergeant said of the homeowner. “That’s when he grabbed the shotgun and went to investigate.”

The stepson didn’t know at the time who it was, and he stepped between the truck and the road to stop the intruder from escaping. That’s when Grudisher stepped on the accelerator and tried to hit the 22-year-old, Blackstock said.

The stepson fired and got out of the way. Grudisher kept driving, striking a fence and a tree across the road, the sergeant said.

Grudisher was pronounced dead at 10:24 p.m. Coroner Bill Thrower said Grudisher’s body was sent to Atlanta this morning for an autopsy.

The case remains under investigation, though police have filed no charges. Lt. Charles Kennedy said the case would be referred to the District Attorney’s office.
    Wow, another family member having to take the ultimate step to protect themselves.

A shotgun blast through the windshield, must have been fairly close range to keep the pattern tight I am thinking?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

I don't see the "sad" here. Another BG off the streets......and just in time for Christmas too!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I labelled it as sad because someone had to resort to killing a family member to protect themselves. You can't tell me that isn't sad. Put yourself in that young guys shoes, and it was your father (or stepfather in this case) behind the wheel.

I don't believe that you could shoot and kill your dad and not feel sad and remorse over the situation.

A necessary shoot, yes, but still sad.

- Thomas Jefferson

Sad on a lot of levels.
    • Had to shoot someone to protect themself and property.
    • Had to shoot a relative, kinda screws up family reunions.
    • Shot his mom's husband.
    • We may never know if this was a domestic dispute gone bad. (kinda fishy/convenient)

Good for him for protecting himself and his property, and for getting another criminal off the streets. Especially a criminal that was too stupid to utilize what should have been an intimate familiarity with a relative's schedule, to take his stuff when he wasn't home.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Agreed bim. ^^
    Quite sad indeed.

Hard times sure to get harder will I feel result in even more burglaries and assault victimization by persons who are not strangers to their victims.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    A shotgun blast through the windshield, must have been fairly close range to keep the pattern tight I am thinking?
    Not if it's a good shotty. I doubt this was a particularly "surprising" event. Hate to think of what the shooter went through if he had to live under the crapsack's roof, growing up.

I'm not particularly 'saddened' by the shooting of another dirtbag whose career has been ended.
    He was low enough on the BG scale that he'd even steal from his own family?
    If the stepson is OK, then I'm OK...the only sad part for me is how the kid might feel...but that's just me. (I'm a real sensitive kind of guy.)

Stay armed...protect the home-front...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsupt,

I also am not saddened by this cleaning of the gene pool. I feel sad for the step-son having to take such drastic actions against a family member.

- Thomas Jefferson

I'm not passing judgment on this one.

Still too little info. Was it the stepsons stuff in the garage, or stepfathers who was done waiting for stepson to return it.

I have a hard, hard time believing a 52y/o would be doing what is claimed insofar as robbing garden tools...in winter...in Ohio, and trying to run down the stepson.

Some rural, southern state, backwater trailer park...maybe.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I'm not passing judgment on this one.

Still too little info. Was it the stepsons stuff in the garage, or stepfathers who was done waiting for stepson to return it.

I have a hard, hard time believing a 52y/o would be doing what is claimed insofar as robbing garden tools...in winter...in Ohio, and trying to run down the stepson.

Sticks,

I don't have too much of a problem picturing a 52 y/o meth/crack-head stealing garden tools to pawn for the next score. Not saying the dead guy was an addict, but it is certainly in the realm of possibility.

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

Columbus GA, not Ohio.

Could happen anywhere, not just a southern state, though. People will steal anything.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Columbus GA, not Ohio....
    My bad. That would be southern enough.

Still not buying into it though.

Family history needed.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links