BAD: 2 die in highway shootings in Dallas

This is a discussion on BAD: 2 die in highway shootings in Dallas within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2 killed, 1 injured in Dallas, Garland road shootings | Latest News | WFAA.com This is an area of town I travel through often. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD: 2 die in highway shootings in Dallas

2 killed, 1 injured in Dallas, Garland road shootings | Latest News | WFAA.com

This is an area of town I travel through often. I wonder if there would have been any time to react to something like this.

Personally, I never pull up even to another vehicle if I can help it. I try to remain slightly behind if I'm pulling up next to another vehicle. If a vehicle pulls up next to me, I will often move forward or backward so I'm not right next to a driver-side or pax-side window. And I'm extra-cautious near vehicles with open windows. The last thing I never do is pull right up to the rear of a vehicle stopped in front of me. I leave enough room where I can crank the wheel hard and hopefull move out of the way if necessary (even if that means taking off the rear corner of the vehicle in front of me).

What type of precautions do others take to try and avoid this type of situation?
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

Assistant Administrator
    The best anyone can do I think is maintain the best situational awareness possible - but that said - the element of surprise can always get the better of us and it's hard to avoid paranoia when it comes to staying alert sometimes!

Perhaps the maxims have to be - "Expect the unexpected" and "Don't assume" ........ both inter related really. Even when we think we are in ''safe zones' - Murphy can do a number!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The story...

2 killed, 1 injured in Dallas, Garland road shootings
    09:12 PM CST on Monday, December 22, 2008
    By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV and The Dallas Morning News Reports

At least two people have been killed and one injured on roads in northeast Dallas and Garland, possibly by the same gunman. Westbound LBJ Freeway is shutdown as police investigate.

Police said shootings have occurred at four separate locations.

In the first case, a man was driving a small Nissan two-door car on Jupiter Road when he stopped at a red light at Marquis Drive in Garland. A light-colored or tan pickup pulled alongside the car, and someone inside fired several shots at the Nissan driver, killing him, said Officer Joe Harn of the Garland police.

Police said the shooter fled south on Jupiter Road. They were notified of that incident at 5:41 p.m.

Another shooting took place along LBJ Freeway at Skillman. In that case, the driver was not injured.

The third shooting was once again deadly. A person was killed at LBJ Freeway and Forrest Lane.

Finally, a fourth shooting was reported at LBJ Freeway and Forrest Lane. In that case, a person suffered minor injuries.

Police are searching for a white male who they believe is driving a light-colored Ford F-150 pickup.

I watch everyone around me. When in the car, I always make sure that I can see the tires of the car that is infront of me. Avoiding a real ambush is going to be tough. I do, however, notice other drivers around me.
    I guess, when it's your day...

Stay armed...say your prayers, too...stay safe!

Greetings, P95Carry, long time no see
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Thx Ken - I ain't dead yet!! Take care.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    I used to live in Garland, scary when something like this happens close to home. I normally do everything y'all do, I always try to leave myself an escape route at a stop light and always keep my eyes and ears tuned to what's going on around me. Since yesterday though I have taken to unholstering my CCW and keeping it close at hand when I'm driving.
    These are not good times we are living in stay safe, stay alert.

God Bless you and your families and Merry Christmas
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by brianko View Post
    What type of precautions do others take to try and avoid this type of situation?
    brianko has good ideas. I would have my g21 on hand, right then and there, in case of any uglyness starts. It would be good to have some sort of angled small mirrors so you can see to each side w/o freaking out innocents that pull up alongside.
    -------------
    A fictional program that aired on the boob-tube from one of the popular series recently showed a story about a balding mid-forties guy who was sniping folks with a shotgun from his SUV. He modded a bracket that attached to the bottum of the pump shotgun. The barrel was cut to allow for comfortable reach with the weapon, plus the bracket held the weapon still for point blank aim and he could manipulate the pump to reload to the receiver.
    Just nasty....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Dang, and I live in the metroplex too
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

VIP Member
    Sad situation, hopefully the TX DPS will make short work of the guy when they catch up with him.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    brianko has good ideas. I would have my g21 on hand, right then and there, in case of any uglyness starts. It would be good to have some sort of angled small mirrors so you can see to each side w/o freaking out innocents that pull up alongside.
    -------------
    A fictional program that aired on the boob-tube from one of the popular series recently showed a story about a balding mid-forties guy who was sniping folks with a shotgun from his SUV. He modded a bracket that attached to the bottum of the pump shotgun. The barrel was cut to allow for comfortable reach with the weapon, plus the bracket held the weapon still for point blank aim and he could manipulate the pump to reload to the receiver.
    Just nasty....
    Yeah, I saw that episode and it was nasty. I just hope some knucklehead doesn't copy-cat that.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

sniping folks with a shotgun from his SUV. He modded a bracket that attached to the bottum of the pump shotgun. The barrel was cut to allow for comfortable reach with the weapon, plus the bracket held the weapon still for point blank aim and he could manipulate the pump to reload to the receiver.
    Police Blotter: Hunt for the deaf fella with powder burns and blood dripping from his ears........

DFW is getting much worse than when we lived in Plano eight or so years ago. The whole metro is sinking......

Garland, TX police got the guy. There was a shootout and the perp apparently attempted to kill himself. He is in a Dallas area hospital in critical condition. Not that it matters much; the shooter has been identified as a former Utah state trooper. The crime spree apparently started when the perp stole Oxycontin pills at a drug store.

Police: Dallas shooting suspect is ex-Utah trooper - Yahoo! News

DALLAS – A man suspected in a series of rush hour shootings near Dallas is a former Utah state trooper wanted on burglary and robbery warrants who apparently shot himself after a standoff with police, authorities said Tuesday

Brian Smith, 37, killed at least one of the victims of Monday's shootings, Dallas police Lt. Craig Miller said. Investigators tied Smith to a killing in Dallas because by matching the bullets found at the standoff, he said.

Smith was in critical condition Tuesday night at a Dallas hospital from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police said he shot himself in the head early Tuesday morning after a brief standoff more than six hours after the shooting spree ended.

What a sad story; I guess now the antis will want to ban ex-state troopers.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Really a strange story. The guy was a former Utah state trooper, a sergeant even. He was a Mormon, was married and had five kids. Apparently had a decent job with IBM and lived in Keller a nice suburb. Then he goes on a crime spree in another suburb across town, probably 30-40 miles away. Just doesn't make any sense.

Nothing done under the influence of an Oxycontin habit makes sense, I'd suppose. Looks like that was the trigger.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links