GOOD: Home Invader Loses - Myrtle Beach, SC

This is a discussion on GOOD: Home Invader Loses - Myrtle Beach, SC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Suspect shot to death during apparent home burglary in Myrtle Beach | SCNow By Aisha Khan WBTW Reporter Published: December 12, 2008 A home invasion ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Suspect shot to death during apparent home burglary in Myrtle Beach | SCNow

By Aisha Khan
    WBTW Reporter
    Published: December 12, 2008

A home invasion leaves one man dead and another is on the lose.

County police say, around 9 last night, two suspects broke into a house on Burcale Road in Myrtle Beach.

Police are investigating the shooting death that occurred at Courtyard 1 Apartments on Burcale Road, that’s near the Clay Pond village community.

They say, the owner was home at the time of the robbery and shot one suspect while the other took off.

Police also tell News 13, that neighbors living next to the burglary victim’s apartment heard gun shots and a round of gunfire went through their apartment wall.

When police arrived at the house they say, the owner was just putting down his gun when they saw one of the suspects lying on the ground dead with two gun shot wounds.

The deceased suspect is, 22-year-old Lamont Lee Reed Durrell of Georgetown.

Police took the burglary victim into custody but was later released.

They say he was assaulted but not hurt during the altercation of the home invasion.

Sgt. Robert Kegler of the Horry County Police Department confirms that no charges will be filed against the home owner.

“Every situation when it comes to a home owner defending himself inside of his is different” says Sgt. Kegler, “There’s a lot of things we need to do before our case is closed”.

Police are looking to charge the run away suspect with burglary, armed robbery and assault with intent to kill.

They are asking for the public’s help in locating the suspect who escaped the scene before police arrived.

They hope a description may help them lead to that home invader. He is described as a white male in his twenties about 5ft 10’, thin built, wearing all dark clothing, a dark hat and a blue bandanna over his face. He is possibly from Georgetown as well.

Anyone with information on the identity of the suspect is asked to call the Horry County Police Department at 915-5350 or 915-TIPS.
    Why was the homeowner taken into custody in the first place?

Thankfully no one in the adjoining apartment was wounded when the round came through the wall.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

There must be something missing from the article...why take the homeowner into custody?
    His home is invaded, he is assaulted, defends himself, and then is taken into custody? Something is not right.

Well, it sounds like he got out and the intruder is

Stay armed...another reason to be armed at home...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    It is amazing how fast you can realize you are in the wrong line of work
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Good on the apartment resident. Although the only point of the story I don't like much is the round passing through the adjacent apartment--maybe time to back off the ammo/gun to help prevent innocent causalities.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

im glad they said The deceased suspect instead of victim.
    they called the homeowner the victim.
    that's good,these news people need to remember that in all these cases.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Yeah, one less for the gene pool
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

VIP Member
    Good deal.

Maybe they wanted all questioning to be away from the scene, if he knew the suspect, etc.

Glad I don't live in an apartment... but, even in a house a bullet will travel.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Maybe they wanted all questioning to be away from the scene, if he knew the suspect, etc.

Glad I don't live in an apartment... but, even in a house a bullet will travel.
    I can see that, but why take him into custody? That to me seems like he was 'cuffed and stuffed'. If you want to question him at the PD where you can videotape the interview, etc just ask if he is willing to cooperate.

Personally I hope that if I am ever in such a situation, I will say something like:

"Officer, I want to cooperate, but I am very shaken up right now. I will be at the station tomorrow with my lawyer and I will cooperate fully with your investigation."

I know that it may be hard to do this and keep the mouth shut when the adrenaline has the veins wide open and the heart going a hundred miles a minute, but hopefully I could manage.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I can see that, but why take him into custody? That to me seems like he was 'cuffed and stuffed'. If you want to question him at the PD where you can videotape the interview, etc just ask if he is willing to cooperate.

Personally I hope that if I am ever in such a situation, I will say something like:

"Officer, I want to cooperate, but I am very shaken up right now. I will be at the station tomorrow with my lawyer and I will cooperate fully with your investigation."

I know that it may be hard to do this and keep the mouth shut when the adrenaline has the veins wide open and the heart going a hundred miles a minute, but hopefully I could manage.
    Mike,

You are absolutely right. I can stick my foot in my mouth on the best of occasions, let alone after I have just had to use deadly force.

Zip it. Call 911. Lawyer up.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SigSire View Post
    Good on the apartment resident. Although the only point of the story I don't like much is the round passing through the adjacent apartment--maybe time to back off the ammo/gun to help prevent innocent causalities.
    I agree the bullet passing through the wall into the next apartment is not a good thing. However the article does not say if it was fired by the victim or by the BG's. Also construction of the apartments have a lot to do with it as well. If walls are just sheet rock with insulation between them, most any bullet is going to pass through.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links