BAD - Boy fatally shoots 10 y/o cousin

This is a discussion on BAD - Boy fatally shoots 10 y/o cousin within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Boy, 11, Fatally Shoots Cousin, 10, in Florida, Police Say Boy, 11, Fatally Shoots Cousin, 10, in Florida, Police Say Tuesday, December 23, ...

Thread: BAD - Boy fatally shoots 10 y/o cousin

BAD - Boy fatally shoots 10 y/o cousin

FOXNews.com - Boy, 11, Fatally Shoots Cousin, 10, in Florida, Police Say
    Boy, 11, Fatally Shoots Cousin, 10, in Florida, Police Say
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008

FORT MEADE, Fla. — An 11-year-old boy shot a 10-year-old cousin to death Tuesday at her great-grandmother's house in central Florida, authorities said.

Miracle Johnson, 10, was playing in a bedroom with several young relatives visiting for Christmas when she was shot once, the Polk County Sheriff's Office said. She was pronounced dead at the home about 50 miles southeast of Tampa.

Investigators have not said whether they believe the shooting was intentional. No charges have been filed. They have not said who owns the gun or how the children got it.

The Associated Press is not naming the boy because he is a juvenile. His 5-year-old sister was also in the bedroom when Miracle was shot, the sheriff's office said.

Miracle lived at the home with her great-grandmother, Authur Ree Murry, 79. Murry was in the kitchen at the time and Sheriff Grady Judd said she was distraught over the shooting.

"Quite frankly, I think we're all distraught this afternoon," Judd said.

Donna Wood, a spokeswoman with the sheriff's office, said investigators are interviewing the boy and others in the home.
    Merry Christmas, Antis. Could have been a better Christmas if the owner had been carrying the weapon or if the kids had received gun safety training. -Paymeister

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Just a guess...but reminds me of the thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-go-night.html

I too have my weapon on a nightstand...but I also do not have kids at home. My friends do and visit...something I have to be very vigilant about. I suspect this is one of those nightmare scenarios.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Henmeister View Post
    Merry Christmas, Antis. Could have been a better Christmas if the owner had been carrying the weapon or if the kids had received gun safety training. -Paymeister
    If the kids are not normally in the house, you are not responsible for their training. You are responsible for the gun getting into the hands of a child or anyone else that should not have it. If you are going to have company in your home, you should make sure you weapons are secure.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Sad story in so many ways.

Here's exactly where the cost of a good safe is irrelevant.
    Either gun-proof the child, or child-proof your guns...visiting children included.
    Yet another reason to have your gun on you if at home, and if not at home, have it locked in the safe.

Our grand-kids are 1,200 miles away, when they visit or when the neighbor's kid enters our home, either of us (wife or I) puts any extra gun that is out...into the safe. It's a good habit to get into...it's almost 'muscle memory' (sort of).

Stay armed...keep it on your person, or lock it up...stay safe.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    We have rules about gun handling (finger off trigger, don't point it at anything you don't want to destroy, assume it's loaded, etc.) ANY ONE OF WHICH, if followed, would prevent tragedy. And we try to follow all of them, of course. I guess my point was that carrying instead of leaving the weapon in the bedroom would have prevented tragedy, putting it in the safe would have prevented tragedy, and had the kids been trained it would have prevented tragedy. But due to the Anti agenda, people don't carry, they don't have the exposure to training when they DO purchase a firearm (here, the training to put it in the safe), and kids aren't trained. Sure, the owner was culpable for leaving the gun accessible - no question about that! But the environment in which this happened, I feel, was created by the Anti establishment. And they'll use this episode to further the process. Very frustrating.

And sad.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Very sad. I can imagine that the holidays won't be very cheerful in this family for many years to come.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

The story has been updated to say the gun belonged to the man of the house. I think he is (rightfully) in big trouble. What a way to ruin Christmas.

Links