GOOD: Businessmen Come To The Aid Of Neighbor - New Haven, CT

This is a discussion on GOOD: Businessmen Come To The Aid Of Neighbor - New Haven, CT within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Robbery victim saved in Dixwell shootout- The New Haven Register - Serving Greater New Haven, CT NEW HAVEN — Eight hours after finding himself in ...

Thread: GOOD: Businessmen Come To The Aid Of Neighbor - New Haven, CT

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Robbery victim saved in Dixwell shootout- The New Haven Register - Serving Greater New Haven, CT

NEW HAVEN — Eight hours after finding himself in the middle of a late-night robbery and gun battle in front of his business, Dexter Jones was back in his barbershop on Dixwell Avenue Tuesday greeting customers.

“I opened up early to quell the rumors that I’m dead. A lot of people think I’m dead right now,” said Jones early Tuesday afternoon, as friends kept coming by Dexter’s Unisex Barber Shop to check on him.

Jones, 44, who grew up in New Haven and has run his shop for more than a dozen years without incident, was robbed at gunpoint at about 11 p.m. Monday outside the shop.

His neighbors, Garfield and Desmond Mills, who run Wing Madness next door, saw what was happening, drew their own guns and ended up in a shootout with the robbers.

“If it wasn’t for them, I think I would have lost my life last night,” Jones said.

A police source said dozens of shots were fired, although police officials Tuesday wouldn’t confirm that.

None of the businessmen were injured, but Jones thought one of the suspects had been shot in the leg because he was limping as he fled.

Just after 8 a.m. Tuesday, police were called to a Sherman Parkway apartment complex where they found a teen with a bullet wound in the left leg that he claimed happened overnight.

The young man, however, told police that he was wounded in an unrelated street robbery, during which several males took his possessions, including his clothes, on upper Dixwell Avenue.

Instead of calling police, he went to a female acquaintance’s apartment on Sherman Parkway. In the morning, when she learned that he was shot, the girl’s mother called the youth’s mother, who in turn called authorities, police said.

Detectives are looking into the possibility that the teen might have been one of the assailants in the barbershop robbery and shootout, although officials stressed that there was nothing concrete.

“We’re looking into that theory, but we have nothing solid on that yet,” said Assistant Police Chief Peter Reichard.

The proof, to corroborate or disprove the theory, could be in the young man’s leg. If a projectile is recovered, ballistic tests could determine if it was fired from one of the guns at the scene, a police official said.

Jones closes up about 6 p.m. daily, but he came back late Monday to clean up. When he was ready to leave, he started up his truck, before jumping out to dump the trash.

As he turned around, Jones said two masked men ran up to him from across Dixwell Avenue. He said one put a gun to his head, the other stuck a gun in his back and told him to empty his pockets. Jones gave them some cash and his cell phone and told them he didn’t have anything else.

“They told me to go to the back of the building and that’s when I knew they were probably going to shoot me. When I came from around the side of my car, one of the gentlemen who owns the chicken spot here, he could see they had guns on me,” Jones said. “They came out and rescued me.”

Jones said one of the suspects fired “a couple of shots before he ran,” while the second suspect jumped into Jones’ truck before crashing it into a utility pole. Jones said that suspect tried to carjack another vehicle, before he got into a third car.

Shots were still flying when police arrived, according to city spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga.

Desmond Mills, who was back at Wing Madness by early afternoon, played down Jones’ description of him and his brother as heroes.

“We walked into a robbery, guys start firing shots and we responded back. A life was in danger — that’s it,” said Desmond Mills.

Mayorga said the good Samaritans are legal gun owners.

Shortly after the shooting, members of the New Haven Gun Unit observed a suspicious vehicle containing three occupants in the parking lot of Presidential Gardens at 573 Dixwell Ave. Upon approaching the vehicle, which matched the general description of one seen leaving the shooting, the suspects fled, but were soon apprehended.

A 16-year-old city resident was charged with carrying a pistol without a permit, interfering with police and third-degree trespassing; Roger Sullivan, 31, and Michael Chesson, 24, both of New Haven, were charged with trespassing and interfering.

It was unclear whether they were involved in the robbery.

As two men stopped by Tuesday to place an order for wings, Desmond Mills, like Jones, said he was just trying to carry on and run his business.

“We can’t take a day off. We have to serve our customers. It was just an unfortunate incident last night,” Desmond Mills said.

Jones was just as resolved to put the robbery behind him. “This is my business — my livelihood. I’m not scared of my neighborhood,” Jones said.

He said he knows most of the young people in Dixwell and speculated it must have been two men from another neighborhood who accosted him.

Beyond that, he said if there were more constructive things for kids to do, they may not be tempted to turn to crime. He also blamed poverty in general.

“People are broke,” Jones said.

Still, it wasn’t an excuse. “I’m an innocent person. I have worked every day. Everything I have, I earned it,” Jones said.
    Good on the Mills brothers for coming to the rescue of their neighbor. Hopefully Mr. Jones has now had his eyes opened and will be getting his own permit and SD handgun.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    That must have been quite a scene. We seldom hear of
    ongoing gun fights in SD situations.

NH is a bit of a cesspool. Even 55 years back my folks were hesitant to go there--and I'm sure it is worse nowadays. I understand Yale has tried to foster urban development and renewal, but it is an uphill jog.

Yah,

Mr. Jones talked about Dixwell avenue as a nice place, but if memory serves quite a bit of the shooting stories on Channel 8 news occur on Dixwell.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Twice in eight hours?
    What's happening there, are the dirtbags having to take a number?

Kudos to the neighboring businesses...

Stay armed...help one another...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"In the morning, when she learned that he was shot, the girl’s mother called the youth’s mother, who in turn called authorities, police said."

That right there for me tells much of why significant portions of our society are on the decline, and stay there.
    Boy with gun shot wound shows up in the late night at a teen girls home. he sleeps over. Next morning teen girl and mom discover oh snap he's been shot and all that the mom thinks to do is call the boys mother.

Hello...!! What is that boy doing sleeping over at your home to start with, with your daughter! I'd have shot her and him a second time.
    And to call the boys mother. Call the cops lady! Jeebus.

As to this scenario it's pretty much nightmare.
    Even if dude had been armed having two assailants both armed with firearms trained on you is damn difficult to defeat.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

All good points Janq. Your last sentence is why I am hoping that Mr. Jones has had his eyes opened about Dixwell Avenue and will start being concerned with his own safety and protection.

- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Dixwell Ave is not a good area. I went thru there a few times on my motor cycle and truck. They were looking at me like I was in the wrong neigbourhood and I was. I kept it rolling and timed the lights so I did not have to come to a stop. I passed that way the other day. They call it Gun Waving New Haven down there.

I avoid Dixwell although sometimes I do have to pass through. New Haven has shootings almost nightly. Its mostly gangs hitting eachother but they also carry on their own brand of business. Good find on this article, I wonder if the TV news will bury it?
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson –

This story was from 12/3 so if it hit the TV stations it has come and gone.

- Thomas Jefferson

Links