GOOD: Retired NYPD Officer Shoots Home Invader - Staten Island, NY

This is a discussion on GOOD: Retired NYPD Officer Shoots Home Invader - Staten Island, NY within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Retired NYPD officer shoots burglar in Staten Island home invasion A burglar shot and wounded Friday when he tried to break into a retired cop's ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Retired NYPD officer shoots burglar in Staten Island home invasion

A burglar shot and wounded Friday when he tried to break into a retired cop's Staten Island home, police sources said.

Retired NYPD Officer Carmine Longo, 45, pulled a gun when he discovered the thief trying to rob his Rossville home, sources said.

The thief was shot as he and the ex-cop struggled for Longo's .38-caliber revolver, sources said.

The wounded thief, identified as Richard Licione, bolted from the house and tried to escape in a Ford Windstar with Longo on his heels, sources said.

"Carmine was hanging in the window and the guy was doing a doughnut, trying to get Carmine off the car," a neighbor said.

Longo, who retired after 20 years with the NYPD, was struck by the minivan, and taken to Staten Island University Hospital.

Licione was in stable condition at Richmond University Medical Center.
    Amazing how this story about a LEO includes a reference to doughnuts!

Just kidding, I appreciate the tough job and hard work put in by the majority of LEO's in this country.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Retired NYPD officer shoots burglar in Staten Island home invasion

Amazing how this story about a LEO includes a reference to doughnuts!

Just kidding, I appreciate the tough job and hard work put in by the majority of LEO's in this country.

If the homeowner had already shot the intruder, why did he try to chase him to the point of hanging onto a vehicle window? The homeowner could have been badly injured by a departing thug...what's the point? OMO
    That close, a plate number along with a description of the dirtbag would have been enough. Wouldn't the dirtbag probably be found at a hospital?

Stay armed...don't chase the departing BG...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hah, yeah, the "doughnut" caught my eye before I read that paragraph.

Agreed retsupt, but I imagine if I've just been in a struggle to retain my weapon against a man who invaded my home and managed to get free after shooting him, my "fight" adrenaline kick might be very difficult to overcome. Still, pretty dumb hanging on to the moving vehicle. He could have been killed.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    O includes a reference to doughnuts!
    That is funny!

I imagine not only is the fight instinct kicked in, but years of not letting the bad guy get away as a cop too. When you wear the blue that long you don't just let the guy go because you put a hole in him.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

VIP Member

"cop mode?"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

If the homeowner had already shot the intruder, why did he try to chase him to the point of hanging onto a vehicle window? The homeowner could have been badly injured by a departing thug...what's the point?
    I'll guess he just went into "cop mode" and wanted to catch the guy.

Remember back about 10-maybe 15 years ago there was a shootout between 2 really bad bgs and two Ohio State Troopers. While one trooper was engaging the passenger in a fire fight the second tried (but failed) to pull the driver from the car-- which took off with the officer barely breaking free.

I think the ex-officer in this incident just did what he was trained to do on the job, but forgot that he was now a civilian and could back off.

Bet you a beer he was in "catch the bad guy" mode and grabbed for the door. It's what I used to call a "whoops". Glad he's going to be OK.

VIP Member
    I'm glad it did not happen in the next house, the person might not be armed. Staten Island NY.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    I'm glad it did not happen in the next house, the person might not be armed. Staten Island NY.
    +1

While I am hesitant to say so, I often get upset when I read these successful LEO and former LEO self defense stories in and around NYC since their fellow citizens are often deprived of such rights. I don't believe in treating some citizens better than others. Regardless, it is great to see he was successful in stopping the guy and I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I guess things happen fast during a home invasion especially when you aren't expecting one. I keep my Para-ord .45 cal next to me while watching TV. I do expect a home invasion since we can keep windows and doors open but locked here in SW Fla. but hope it doesn't happen. by the way, when I am at work, she has her ppk/s close by
    NRA Member
    Ret. LEO

VIP Member
    Originally Posted by ccman

matiki Quote:
    +1
    While I am hesitant to say so, I often get upset when I read these successful LEO and former LEO self defense stories in and around NYC since their fellow citizens are often deprived of such rights. I don't believe in treating some citizens better than others. Regardless, it is great to see he was successful in stopping the guy and I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

I agree with You here. Treat us all the same and speedy recovery to the former LEO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

If the homeowner had already shot the intruder, why did he try to chase him to the point of hanging onto a vehicle window? The homeowner could have been badly injured by a departing thug...what's the point? OMO
    That close, a plate number along with a description of the dirtbag would have been enough. Wouldn't the dirtbag probably be found at a hospital?

Stay armed...don't chase the departing BG...stay safe!
    The wounded thief, identified as Richard Licione, bolted from the house and tried to escape in a Ford Windstar with Longo on his heels, sources said.

"Carmine was hanging in the window and the guy was doing a doughnut, trying to get Carmine off the car," a neighbor said.
    Maybe the doughnuts were still in the van!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links