Neutral: Shotgun Vs. Handgun - Prince George County, Va

This is a discussion on Neutral: Shotgun Vs. Handgun - Prince George County, Va within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fatal shooting in Prince George called self defense - News - inRich.com A Prince George County man acted in self defense when he fatally shot ...

Thread: Neutral: Shotgun Vs. Handgun - Prince George County, Va

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Neutral: Shotgun Vs. Handgun - Prince George County, Va

Fatal shooting in Prince George called self defense - News - inRich.com

A Prince George County man acted in self defense when he fatally shot a Hopewell man during a gathering last month, county authorities have determined.

After an extensive investigation by Prince George police and the county commonwealth's attorney's office, authorities have concluded that Jeremy W. Atkins, 21, was fatally shot Oct. 11 after pointing a handgun at a resident of the home in the 3000 block of High Peak Lane, authorities said today in a statement.

The resident, who was not identified, fired two blasts from a hunting-style shotgun, fatally injuring Atkins, authorities said.

"Based on facts, evidence from the scene and evidence from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, it has been determined that his shooting was in self-defense and was without criminal intent," Prince George Commonwealth's Attorney Jay Paul said in a written statement.

Police were called about 3 a.m. to the residence for a report of a shooting.

When the first officers arrived, they found a gathering of about seven to 10 people, a bonfire and Atkins on the ground with gunshot wounds to his upper torso. He was taken to John Randolph Medical Center in Hopewell, where he was pronounced dead.

An investigation revealed that there had been an altercation between the resident of the home and a female friend during the gathering outside. The female friend left the area but later returned with several of her friends, according to Paul's statement of facts.

As they exited their car, a verbal confrontation ensued that was directed at the resident. During the encounter, "Atkins pointed a handgun at the resident, who then fired twice from his hunting shotgun, striking Atkins," Paul said.

Paul said these facts were described by witnesses and confirmed by physical evidence in a report from the medical examiner's office. Evidence recovered from the scene included the resident's shotgun, Atkins' pistol and a hockey mask he had worn on the top of his head.

"Since Oct. 11 there has been a tremendous amount of speculation and rumors circulating throughout the community, much of which has no factual basis," Paul said in the statement. "Everyone connected to the persons directly involved with his incident are urged to exercise calm in coping with this loss. As one tragedy has already occurred, we must strive to avoid another."
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Hockey mask on top of the head?? Sounds like the dead guy had something more on his mind than just pointing the pistol. Based on the article, good shoot I say.

Sounds like a party I wouldn't want to be at. Regardless, good to hear things worked out.

How did I miss hearing about this?? I live in Hopewell right near Prince George, and I never heard a word locally..

Don't bring a pistol BACK to a 'close up' shotgun fight...

Coming back to argue or trying to be a tough guy with a weapon is what will sink your ship.

Stay armed...stay away from boats...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dizzysmurf03 View Post
    How did I miss hearing about this?? I live in Hopewell right near Prince George, and I never heard a word locally..
    That was a couple of months ago, it was in the Richmond paper.

VIP Member
    Another one out of the gene pool, no great loss as I see it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links