'Santa' opens fire at Calif. party; 3 dead

This is a discussion on 'Santa' opens fire at Calif. party; 3 dead within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Santa WAS packin' heat. AP Wire Stories Dec 25, 8:24 AM EST 'Santa' opens fire at Calif. party; 3 dead COVINA, Calif. (AP) -- A ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Santa' opens fire at Calif. party; 3 dead

Thumbs down 'Santa' opens fire at Calif. party; 3 dead

Santa WAS packin' heat.

AP Wire Stories

Dec 25, 8:24 AM EST

'Santa' opens fire at Calif. party; 3 dead

COVINA, Calif. (AP) -- A man dressed as Santa Claus opened fire at a Christmas Eve party in a suburban Los Angeles home that subsequently caught fire, leaving three people dead, police said.

The man arrived at the party in Covina late Wednesday and immediately opened fire with a handgun, police Lt. Pat Buchanan said.

Buchanan says three bodies were found after the fire was put out. He could not say how the fire started or how the three people died.

Buchanan says three other people were injured. A woman in her 20s and an 8-year-old girl had gunshot wounds that were not life-threatening, and a third person had a broken ankle.

Police are seeking a man they are calling a person of interest, 45-year-old Bruce Jeffrey Pardo. Buchanan said Pardo is the estranged husband of a person who may have been at the party.

Police received several 911 calls with reports of shots fired at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday night, and were still hearing gunshots after they arrived and found the house in flames, Buchanan said.

At first, firefighters were held back by police because shots were still being fired, authorities said.

Firefighters had extinguished the blaze by about 1:30 a.m. Thursday, fire Captain Mike Brown said.

There was significant damage to the two-story home on a cul-de-sac in Covina, a quiet suburb 25 miles east of Los Angeles.
    Merry bloomin' Christmas. It IS a fallen world.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; December 25th, 2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: add comment
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It is a sick and sad world out there, is there any doubt as to why we carry?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    This is sad. I really affirms that one should carry in the home as well. Also, not live in California. Sad Christmas for this family for sure.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    This is sad. I really affirms that one should carry in the home as well. Also, not live in California. Sad Christmas for this family for sure.
    I agree except with the slight to California. Yeah it is a sick fallen world but the epidemic is found everywhere. I am a 3rd generation native Californian by the way.

Talk about a bad Santa. I favor his present being of an extended stay at the Iron bar Hilton until we can arrange a long winter's nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Also, not live in California. Sad Christmas for this family for sure.
    Sounds like alcohol was involved.

And, probably, some armed dolt just made things worse for us LAGOCs. (law abiding gun owner/carriers)

There are millions of guns in California. Too bad the instant chucklehead had one. If he doesn't own a gun, three people are still alive...

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Looks like the latest news is the police say he shot himself.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Now six dead...I'll never understand such senseless acts, such anger, such hatred to take others lives...

One wonders how the outcome would of been different if someone was armed at the party. We can only speculate.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    Sounds like alcohol was involved.

And, probably, some armed dolt just made things worse for us LAGOCs. (law abiding gun owner/carriers)

There are millions of guns in California. Too bad the instant chucklehead had one. If he doesn't own a gun, three people are still alive...
    that's the first thing i thought of when i saw it on the news, about being bad for us CHL people.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Leave it to California.

I went to a party full of strangers in a very nice home (had a wonderfull time)....I carried IWB against my wifes will, but I refuse to be a victim of such dramactic violence..no matter how *paranoid I may seem*.

I carry EVERYWHERE I go...no matter how silly it may seem for me to carry.

Sorry for (and pray for) those that have suffered, and to remember this the rest of their lives on this day.

Just heard on the news

Six are confirmed dead.
    And the suspect also killed himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Leave it to California.
    I don't think California has anything to do with it.

But it's worse than previously reported. Eight, not three, people were killed by Santa Dolt.

Calif. man bitter over divorce dresses as Santa, kills 8 people in Christmas Eve massacre
    By CHRISTINA HOAG Associated Press Writer
    The Associated Press - Friday, December 26, 2008

COVINA, Calif.

The Los Angeles County Coroner's office says eight bodies have been found in the rubble of a home set ablaze after a Christmas Eve shooting massacre.

Investigators ended their search Thursday night for other possible victims of the rampage. Authorities planned to return to the scene Friday.

Police say the only suspect in the shooting and fire killed himself several hours later.

Rats in a cage. Rougher cage ... more rats. It's going to get far worse, before it even thinks of getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    If people would simply be less foolish in regards to firearms, they would realize that they are just about the only thing that can stop a crazed idiot like this, in the heat of the moment. Millions of firearms in California? Much good it did them. Probably all locked up and disassembled in the safe. They would have been far more useful on the hip.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    I went to a party full of strangers in a very nice home (had a wonderfull time)....I carried IWB against my wifes will, but I refuse to be a victim of such dramactic violence..no matter how *paranoid I may seem*.
    Yep. Same here, except the part about the wife. She doesn't object any longer.

Went to a dinner last night at a couple's home--about 30 people present. I'll bet $1,000 I was the only one there armed. No security system, they were doing some cooking on the back deck and left the back door cracked open and unlocked, deadbolts on the front door but they weren't using it (until I locked it) all doors had glass near the deadbolts which could be unlocked by hand... lots of activity in the house, all shades drawn, quiet cul de sac, no through traffic, freezing cold, all neighbors inside = perfect opportunity for a home invasion/robbery. But I was ready.

Refusing to be a victim is highly underrated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links