BAD: Shooting At Gun Range - Cheshire, CT

This is a discussion on BAD: Shooting At Gun Range - Cheshire, CT within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Person shot at Cheshire shooting range | WTNH.com Cheshire (WTNH) - A person was taken to the hospital after what police call an accidental shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: BAD: Shooting At Gun Range - Cheshire, CT

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Person shot at Cheshire shooting range | WTNH.com

Cheshire (WTNH) - A person was taken to the hospital after what police call an accidental shooting at a firing range.

It happened at New Departure Fish and Game Club at 625 Cook Hill Road.

Few details are available right now, but police call it an isolated incident.

Cheshire police said the injured person was taken to Yale New Haven Hospital.
    Very few details to be had here, but this doesn't sound good.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Cheshire--that's a name I'll never forget.

It's 1 of 2 reasons I will always be armed at home. Here's the other: The Wichita Horror, the brutal murders by Jonathan and Reginald Carr -- The Crime Library - Crime Library on truTV.com This is a good example of how completely complying with BG's is no guarantee of safety.

Every time I consider not carrying at home because it may be temporarily inconvenient, images of Cheshire and The Wichita Horror flash through my mind. Then I arm up, and bash myself for even considering not carrying.

Sorry for the off-topic, but Cheshire will always bring back these memories: Ghastly Details In Conn. Home Invasion , Papers Report Mother, Two Daughters Raped Before Their Deaths - CBS News The mom in this story complied also. She was killed along with her daughters.

Complying is not the answer. Eliminating the threat is the answer.
    Sig 210 likes this.

The RANGE OFFICER at a gun range in the Tampa area almost shot my brother in the head by violating ALL of the Four Rules.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

It's 1 of 2 reasons I will always be armed at home. Here's the other: The Wichita Horror, the brutal murders by Jonathan and Reginald Carr -- The Crime Library - Crime Library on truTV.com This is a good example of how completely complying with BG's is no guarantee of safety.

Every time I consider not carrying at home because it may be temporarily inconvenient, images of Cheshire and The Wichita Horror flash through my mind. Then I arm up, and bash myself for even considering not carrying.

Sorry for the off-topic, but Cheshire will always bring back these memories: Ghastly Details In Conn. Home Invasion , Papers Report Mother, Two Daughters Raped Before Their Deaths - CBS News The mom in this story complied also. She was killed along with her daughters.

Complying is not the answer. Eliminating the threat is the answer.
    Agreed Grady. There are times when I walk in the door (can't carry at work - nuke plant) and don't feel like going upstairs to the safe to grab a weapon. Most times thoughts of Cheshire come to mind and I arm up. I really need to get a wall safe and mount it downstairs so that I can lock it up just prior to walking out the door, and grab it on the way back in.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    can't carry at work - nuke plant
    Same here. It also means cannot carry going to and from work since no firearms are allowed on property.

Agreed Grady. There are times when I walk in the door (can't carry at work - nuke plant) and don't feel like going upstairs to the safe to grab a weapon. Most times thoughts of Cheshire come to mind and I arm up. I really need to get a wall safe and mount it downstairs so that I can lock it up just prior to walking out the door, and grab it on the way back in.
    A wall safe sounds like a good idea. Or maybe even a floor-mounted smaller safe inside a closet, if you don't have room for a wall safe. Maybe find some good beams and sink some 8" lag screws into them, or do something similar so it can't be carried off.

If I had a 2-story, I'd be thinking along the same lines as you are.

We must be prepared when our day comes, like the 91-year-old gent protecting his 90-year-old wife just the other day. He probably spent decades preparing for that one day, and one day it came.

We must live as if today is the day our test will come, because it might. But you know that already.

Thanks for posting these scenarios. Reading them keeps me alerted to the various ways BG's attempt to bring harm to others, and the things we can do to counter their attempts.

My father has a wall clock that's a disguise as a gun holder....pretty nifty. For that very reason.....he freaked when that came about.

Quote Originally Posted by WTNH.com
    - A person was taken to the hospital after what police call an accidental shooting at a firing range.

It happened at New Departure Fish and Game Club at 625 Cook Hill Road.

Few details are available right now, but police call it an isolated incident.

Cheshire police said the injured person was taken to Yale New Haven Hospital.
    That's a pretty pro-gun (or not anti-gun) account of an assuredly negligent firearm incident.

I hope the person who was injured recovers fully.

Even with the sparse details, it's a sobering reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post
    Same here. It also means cannot carry going to and from work since no firearms are allowed on property.
    Right, that is why I need to install a wall safe just inside the house from the garage as that is how we enter and exit the house. Put it in the safe when leaving for work, strap it on when returning home.

- Thomas Jefferson

CT Mike, how dangerous is it for you to carry in your car? I worked at Lycoming in Stratford for 10 years and although it was officially counter to company policy, there frequently (like always) was a firearm secured inside my vehicle, and I was far from alone. These days I'm in AZ and if I see a blade of grass looking out of sorts when I pull into my driveway, I enter my house with a gun in my hand, and thankfully I'm greeted by 190 pounds worth of Labrador retrievers.

I lived in CT for 35 years and once I had my carry permit I asked various LEOs about carrying a gun in the car. My local guys in New Milford couldn't have cared less since I had a permit; most of the staties were of the same mind but I found a couple over the years who took a dim view of leaving a gun in the car while I was at work (in spite of being in a locked vehicle and further inside either a locked glovebox or separate locked box). Just wondering what your employer's rules are, and how rigorously they're enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

Although dated, add the story of the Clutter family in Kansas, as described in Truman Capote's book "In Cold Blood" to your reasons for carrying all the time.

Since moving out to the Phoenix suburbs 5 years ago, I've taken to having handguns hidden in nearly every room in the house. Over the past year, the crime problem and escalation in home invasions have changed my thinking, and now I don't even tend to my front lawn without a gun in my pocket. If I putter around the house, you'll find me with a .45 or 9mm on my hip. Fortunately, my girlfriend views this as just one way of looking after her safety and not paranoia.

You just never can predict when access to a firearm inside your home will be a life saver. Spare yourself the "where is it" agita and just carry one on your person!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    CT Mike, how dangerous is it for you to carry in your car? I worked at Lycoming in Stratford for 10 years and although it was officially counter to company policy, there frequently (like always) was a firearm secured inside my vehicle, and I was far from alone. These days I'm in AZ and if I see a blade of grass looking out of sorts when I pull into my driveway, I enter my house with a gun in my hand, and thankfully I'm greeted by 190 pounds worth of Labrador retrievers.

I lived in CT for 35 years and once I had my carry permit I asked various LEOs about carrying a gun in the car. My local guys in New Milford couldn't have cared less since I had a permit; most of the staties were of the same mind but I found a couple over the years who took a dim view of leaving a gun in the car while I was at work (in spite of being in a locked vehicle and further inside either a locked glovebox or separate locked box). Just wondering what your employer's rules are, and how rigorously they're enforced.
    Well,

We are subject to random vehicle searches upon entering the premises. I am not willing to lose my job in this economy because I had a weapon in the vehicle. I think several folks will have the gun on their person in case the vehicle is searched, and then lock it in the car after parking. I am not willing to do that, I made $110K this year and don't want to jeopardize that security.

- Thomas Jefferson

Well, we are subject to random vehicle searches upon entering the premises. I am not willing to lose my job in this economy because I had a weapon in the vehicle. I think several folks will have the gun on their person in case the vehicle is searched, and then lock it in the car after parking. I am not willing to do that, I made $110K this year and don't want to jeopardize that security.
    Same here! It is stated in policy manual that no firearms are allowed on company policy. Immediate dismissal with no questions ask. Security at nuclear plants takes precedent, with witch I agree.
    There is no doubt, if someone here tried to break the rule, they would be caught in due time.

[offtopic]Concealed, I take it you work for Dominion at either North Anna or Surry? I am at Millstone in Southeastern CT. [/offtopic]

- Thomas Jefferson

Concealed, I take it you work for Dominion at either North Anna or Surry? I am at Millstone.
    Dominion Virginia Power it is! I work with some people that came from Millstone.
    Last edited by concealed; December 28th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links