ksax.com - Officials investigating Fridley home invasion, child abduction

The Fridley Police Department and the Anoka County Sheriff's Office are investigating two home invasions in the past two weeks.

Officials said both incidents happened in the 1600 block of 68th Avenue. In the first report, homeowner Evelyn Cooper told police she awoke to find a suspect in her bedroom during the early hours of Sept. 29.

"I kept looking at him. I couldn't see his face, I think he didn't want me to know who he was," Cooper said.

She said the man was sitting in a chair. After a few minutes, he got up and started walking towards her.

"I started screaming and said what are you doing in my bedroom," said Cooper.

Cooper told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS the suspect then fled out her back door. It's left her and her family shaken, especially since they had no idea what the man was planning to do.

"I don't know if he wanted to rape me or just kill me," she said. "He didn't take anything out of the house."

On Monday, a homeowner was awakened by the sound of her screen door opening shortly before 2 a.m. She went to investigate and could hear her 8-year-old daughter yelling.

"She was hysterical, just screaming her daughter's name at the top of her lungs. Being a mother, it terrifies me that it happened in my own neighborhood," said a neighbor who witnessed the incident.

The mother ran outside yelling to her child and found the child several town homes away. The child reported that a man had entered her room and taken her outside. The suspect had run off when the mother called to her child.

In both cases, the suspect is described as a black male, approximately five-feet eight-inches tall, with a thin build.

Residents in the area are advised to take precautions to ensure their homes doors and windows are locked and secured.

Police are following up on leads in the case and ask that anyone with information contact the Anoka County Sheriff's Office at (763) 427-1212.
I can't imagine how terrifying it was for that mother to find her child missing from her bed and screaming for help.