Bad: Clerk fatally shot.

This is a discussion on Bad: Clerk fatally shot. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sad story. Sean Odle, 30, was nearing the end of his shift working as a clerk at Circle K, 3506 E. Main St., about 4:25 ...

Thread: Bad: Clerk fatally shot.

Bad: Clerk fatally shot.

Sad story.

Sean Odle, 30, was nearing the end of his shift working as a clerk at Circle K, 3506 E. Main St., about 4:25 a.m. Friday when he was shot once in the torso during an attempted robbery, said Sgt. Rick Murray of the Ventura Police Department.

Police responding to a silent 911 call found Odle behind the stores counter, Murray said.

Odle was transported to Ventura County Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 5:05 a.m., said Michael Tellez, a Ventura County deputy medical examiner. An autopsy determined Odle died of a gunshot wound to the chest.
    Convenience store clerk fatally shot : Ventura : Ventura County Star

Also in Ventura:

Three women were mugged at gunpoint at 10 p.m. Saturday in the heart of downtown Ventura, police said.

The three women two from Camarillo and one from Oxnard were walking through a public parking lot on Oak Street, just off Main Street, when a man stepped out of a parked car and approached them, according to a statement released Sunday by the Ventura Police Department.

The man pointed a handgun at them and demanded their purses. The women handed them over, and the mugger got back into the car and was driven away by his accomplice. The car, which the women told police was an older, dark sedan, drove south on Oak Street, in the direction of both Main Street and Highway 101.
    Gunman robs 3 women in downtown Ventura : Ventura : Ventura County Star

Unfortunately we are a discretionary issue state and Sheriff Bob Brooks doesn't consider self defense to be "Good Cause" for a concealed carry permit.

Ryan

2. Remove Ads

sad!

"At a Christmas celebration with relatives Thursday night, Odle said he was tired of the night shift because of all the drug addicts, and the guys who want to steal beer, his uncle said. He didnt feel safe; he wanted to go on the day shift.

Just a week before he was killed, Odle told relatives he threw a customer out of the store when the man grabbed bills out of his hand and started swearing at him after asking for change for $100 bill, his uncle said.

Another time, Odle told relatives he locked the convenience stores door when a carload of men aroused his suspicions and watched as one of them ran three times into the locked door.

He had asked to be moved to the day shift, but his employers told him that he was good at the graveyard shift and kept his hours the same, his uncle said."

VIP Member
    Condolence to the family of the victim. Hopefully the police will catch the robbers and they get the max punishment.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    sad!

"At a Christmas celebration with relatives Thursday night, Odle said he was tired of the night shift because of all the drug addicts, and the guys who want to steal beer, his uncle said. He didnt feel safe; he wanted to go on the day shift.

Just a week before he was killed, Odle told relatives he threw a customer out of the store when the man grabbed bills out of his hand and started swearing at him after asking for change for $100 bill, his uncle said.

Another time, Odle told relatives he locked the convenience stores door when a carload of men aroused his suspicions and watched as one of them ran three times into the locked door.

He had asked to be moved to the day shift, but his employers told him that he was good at the graveyard shift and kept his hours the same, his uncle said."
    As a convenience store clerk/owner, I can sure relate to all the stuff the poor guy was referring to. Jerks stealing beer, etc. Only difference is I am armed (one on me and 2 others close by). I'm sure this guy was not allowed to be armed but if it were me, I would have been armed regardless -- so what if you lose your job, it sure beats being dead.

Those of you who are anti's reading this -- no, I don't shoot beer thieves. Wish it were legal, though
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Hopefully the police will catch the robbers and they get the max punishment.
    With a little luck, the mutts will resist.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

It is unfortunate that most of the convenience stores in Ventura are located near areas with high(er) crime levels. This particular store is one I go into fairly regularly and I know the area near the store. There are lots of low rent apts next to/behind the strip mall where the store is located. Plus the store is NOT on the street - it's behind the gas station AND it's shrubbery which blocks it from direct observation. Poor lighting too.

All in all, it's bad juju after dark. I'm not surprised at the shooting either. I am surprised that there isn't more violent crime committed there.

As for the Sheriff not considering "self defense" as being a sufficient basis to issue a CCW permit; it's kinda hard to justify such a nebulous reason as being equal to the "I'm usually (and often) in the line of fire" type of reason given by most of us who have permits.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Unfortunately we are a discretionary issue state and Sheriff Bob Brooks doesn't consider self defense to be "Good Cause" for a concealed carry permit.
    Time to vote out ole Sheriff Bob Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    As a convenience store clerk/owner, ... Only difference is I am armed (one on me and 2 others close by). I'm sure this guy was not allowed to be armed but if it were me, I would have been armed regardless ...
    Do you allow all the clerks in your store to carry firearms while on duty?

sounds like Sheriff Bob Brooks needs to be made X-Sheriff Bob Brooks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Very sad. On a serious note I think convenience stores should issue IIIa vests as part of their uniforms. If I were to do that job I would be armed/prepared just as well as the police
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    Time to vote out ole Sheriff Bob Brooks.

I would but so far we owners are the only clerks -- for the wages we can pay, we can't find anyone we would trust to be a clerk for us, at least that live close by. There are some low rent apartments behind us, but very few of those would I trust; one is a known bank robber, others are drug addicts and what not. You get the idea.

I guess the answer is (vacuously) yes.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk
    I would but so far we owners are the only clerks -- for the wages we can pay, we can't find anyone we would trust to be a clerk for us, at least that live close by. There are some low rent apartments behind us, but very few of those would I trust; one is a known bank robber, others are drug addicts and what not. You get the idea.

I guess the answer is (vacuously) yes.
    Actually, from what you describe, I reckon that you might be considering requiring that your clerks (when you hire them in the future) carry a firearm while on duty. Yes?

If you do not allow a paid clerk to carry who wants to, you'll be inconsistent. If you do allow a paid clerk to carry but he declines to, you would be putting your store's assets unacceptably at risk whenever the unarmed clerk was on duty.

The only way out of the dilemma is to hire a clerk where it is a requirement to carry on site.

That's interesting. Plus, you may have to supply the gun for the clerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    Actually, from what you describe, I reckon that you might be considering requiring that your clerks (when you hire them in the future) carry a firearm while on duty. Yes?

If you do not allow a paid clerk to carry who wants to, you'll be inconsistent. If you do allow a paid clerk to carry but he declines to, you would be putting your store's assets unacceptably at risk whenever the unarmed clerk was on duty.

The only way out of the dilemma is to hire a clerk where it is a requirement to carry on site.

That's interesting. Plus, you may have to supply the gun for the clerk.
    Well, I can't see requiring someone to be armed, but I would never stand in their way and would encourage them to get training and be ready.

As it is, I supply 2 of my guns at the store for my wife and her brother (the other 2 owners) to use. They are stashed at strategic places near the front, close to the register (but out of sight of the customers). Neither of them is a "gun person", though they have both have asked how to use the guns -- but they show no inclination to go get training and practice. I am always harping at them on this but you know how sheep are, they just never believe it will happen to them. My brother in law is a black belt in Tae-Kwon Do (and is also a 6'3" Korean) so he might do OK with a gun, but I doubt it.

All in all its pretty worrisome -- I just pray if the SHTF that I am there to deal with it. Maybe THEN they will see the need to get trained and ready. Maybe...

The thing is, you may conceal carry on private property with the owner's consent in California, so you could just as easily blame the management.

At the same time, there is no evidence I am aware of that the clerk was denied the right to self defense and circumstantial indicates that he was not:

Photo and Video Gallery: Ventura County Star

Never bring a phone to a gun fight.

Ryan

Links