BAD: 6 year old killed in accidental shooting

This is a discussion on BAD: 6 year old killed in accidental shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Las Vegas Now | 6-Year-Old Killed in Accidental Shooting 6-Year-Old Killed in Accidental Shooting Updated: Jan 1, 2009 04:25 AM EST Metro Police are investigating ...

Thread: BAD: 6 year old killed in accidental shooting

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Las Vegas Now | 6-Year-Old Killed in Accidental Shooting

6-Year-Old Killed in Accidental Shooting

Updated: Jan 1, 2009 04:25 AM EST

Metro Police are investigating the death of a six-year-old girl accidentally shot to death Wednesday night.

It happened at a home near Warm Springs and Rainbow in the southwest part of the valley.

Police say two young kids were playing with a gun when the gun went off and struck the girl. She later died at the hospital. Police say the shooting was accidental.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Where was the owner of the gun and why was it accessible to the kids? I'm a firm believer kids should be taught respect for firearms at an early age, and that adults should be held accountable if they leave a weapon where kids can get to it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    This is NOT an "accident"...it is degligence on the part of the parents and gun owner. Criminal negligence.

Rick
    Last edited by bandit383; January 1st, 2009 at 11:38 PM.

My heart goes out to his family, no matter what the circumstances.

I have a 6 year old son, and it would kill me to have something happen to him, especially if it was my fault! When I began to carry my Glock 26 full time, his safety was paramount. My wife is in LE, and was very concerned about me having a gun on me all day around him.

First he was taught respect for all guns, and what to do should he see a gun, or another child with a gun. I know kids will be kids, so I realize this is not full proof and reiterate it to him often. By the way, he does not know I carry at all, and thinks my guns are always in safes.

Second, I purchased 2 touchpad handgun safes for placing gun when not on me. One is mounted to back of nightstand next to bed, other is located next to recliner in den (houses a .38 at all times). When I do not have the gun on me physically, it is in one of these safes!

Third, I purchases a 14 gun cabinet for all long guns and spare ammo. This cabinet is mounted to wall and sits inside closet in spare room.

The antis will get hold of the stories from OP, and will gather sentiment from the majority of the population for restrictive handgun laws. I doubt the incident involved CCers, but it will still be used against us. Safety with all guns is a must. See local story below.

Accidental shooting in Isle of Wight from WAVY.COM
    Last Edited: Monday, 29 Dec 2008, 11:50 PM EST
    Created On: Monday, 29 Dec 2008, 5:25 PM EST

12/29/08 - Sheriff Phelps, Isle of Wight County, tells WAVY.com that 17-year-old Patrick Elito Edwards accidentally shot and killed himself Monday morning at around 9:45.

Edwards, a student at Smithfield High School, accidentally shot himself in the face with a 12 guage shotgun as he exited his pickup truck, Phelps said.

Edwards and a friend were getting ready to go hunting when the accidnet happened.

No one else was hurt.

We have a right to carry, bujt a responsibility to carry safely!

My heart goes out to her family. We are in the process of buying a larger safe and changing how we store our guns as our daughter gets older (currently 16 mos). I hope the owner of the weapon faces justice.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

What is the name of the family? Not to be rude, but I have family in Vegas that I don't talk to after the death of their first child (very long story, please don't ask)... One of the other children would be 6...

It did not list any info. Klas is the only news channel I read from there since they have a mobile version and I do not have a computer. You can maybe try finding more info on another Vegas news site or try looking at the review journal website.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Criminal degligence.

I trust you mean "negligence" -?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I trust you mean "negligence" -?
    ooops...typing in the dark...stealthy.

Rick

Sad story!!!

The gun owner was a felon and should not have even had a gun in his possession. As of tonight the felon (gun owner) is now in jail here in Las Vegas.
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

They posted more info on the news site. Seems the Brady bunch is having fun with it.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    They posted more info on the news site. Seems the Brady bunch is having fun with it.
    The Brady bunch always dances in the blood of innocents. They must spend a lot on shoes...
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

The most tragic thing to my mind isn't that a child was able to gain unsupervised access to a firearm that could happen when your child visits a forgetful relative or a childless friend. The thing that saddens me is that both children were old enough to be taught firearm safety. Even my five year old twins know better than to touch any gun without permission (they may handle with permission any time they want) and certainly know to point in a safe direction.

Ryan

I just bought my daughter 3 guns,a sig mosquito,a MP9c,and a 12 gauge 20"bbl shotgun,I sat down with my 5 YOA G/daughter and we had a little talk about never touching a gun,if she sees a gun then she should run and tell an adult.I am going to be buying an eddie eagle dvd and sending to them to help get the message out in a fun way that she will remember.I also bought my daughter a pistol safe to lock her pistols in when she's not home or around it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links