Colorado's 'Make My Day' law eyed in home shooting

This is a discussion on Colorado's 'Make My Day' law eyed in home shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Under Colorado's "Make My Day" law, people are allowed to use deadly force in self defense against intruders in their home. If you don't want ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Colorado's 'Make My Day' law eyed in home shooting

Under Colorado's "Make My Day" law, people are allowed to use deadly force in self defense against intruders in their home.
    If you don't want to get stopped doing a very good impression of a criminal act (like, breaking into a home via the window at 2am), then don't do that.

The unfortunate could simply have used the doorbell and a proper means of entry, or used a phone to call a sober family member to pick him up, or just waited it out until he wasn't out of his head. Any number of things would have been non-criminal in appearance. It would probably have saved his life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Oh, I was too high one day so I grabbed my BB pistol and went out and yelled and pointed it at a cop because I was so high. He shot and killed me, the cop should be charged because obviously everyone should be omnipotent and me, being the idiot I am, should be absolved of all responsibility.

Give me a break. A tragedy? Sure, but maybe his friends should have been you know, friends and made sure he got home okay, especially being as piss drunk as he was.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    See the below link to an article in the local Colorado Springs paper.
    No charges in death of man mistaken for thief | charges, killed, house - Top Stories - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

I believe this was a tragedy, everyone says he was a good kid, yea yea good kids don't get drunk and break into other peoples houses. Guess what we all sin and fall short of the glory of God. From the article the home owner did everything he could to get the kid to go away he had no idea he was a "good kid."

If the link does not work search on Colorado Springs Gazette and you should be able to read the article.

"Make my Day"?!

Pls tell me that's not how they're referring to a "Castle Doctrine" type law in CO?!

It seems to intimate that people are sitting at home and hoping to have the chance to shoot someone. I don't see how that can be helpful at all.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cnstman View Post
    Based upon the evidence and a review of Colorado law governing the use of deadly physical force against an intruder, it is the opinion of the District Attorney’s Office that the resident of 3212 Virginia Avenue did not violate Colorado law, and he will not be prosecuted.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cnstman View Post
    "It's been our judgement that there has not been a crime that has occurred under the totality of the circumstances," she said.
    I guess breaking and entering is not a crime as long as you are drunk. I just hope the homeowner gets support from his community, and the anti's leave him and his family alone.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I think the homeowners brother (or close relative of some variety) is a retired LEO.

I feel for the homeowner, the media has been hounding him since this happened, hopefully now his name is cleared, and he can start his healing process.

Sad story for all involved.

The homeowner shot someone who was truly in the wrong place with no malicious intent.

The drunk kid is dead, and his parents get to bury him.

His "friends" get to live with the fact that a key bucket at the party could have saved his life.

CO homeowners who chose to defend themselves will be second guessed.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Sad story for all involved.

The homeowner shot someone who was truly in the wrong place with no malicious intent.
    We don't know that he had no malicious intent. We can't ask him, he's dead. If someone did the same thing in my home, the outcome would be the same. I'm not going to wait until he breaks into my home to ask him if he has malicious intents. He was acting irrationally and not thinking. I doubt explaining to him the situation would register in his mind. It might spell my demise. The home owner acted accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    We don't know that he had no malicious intent. We can't ask him, he's dead. If someone did the same thing in my home, the outcome would be the same. I'm not going to wait until he breaks into my home to ask him if he has malicious intents. He was acting irrationally and not thinking. I doubt explaining to him the situation would register in his mind. It might spell my demise. The home owner acted accordingly.
    Even if we give Kennedy complete benefit of doubt and accept that he intended no crime, that doesn't override the fact that Parsons didn't know that. As far as Parsons knew, a criminal was breaking into his home and he acted accordingly. It's a shame that Parsons had to go through a month of uncertainty about charges. This should have been a slam dunk within 48 hours. Though the ultimate responsibility for this tragedy falls squarely on the shoulders of Kennedy himself, if there's any contributory negligence in this it has to lie with his so-called friends who say he was too drunk to realize that the house he was breaking into had a totally different style fence around the back yard yet allowed him to drive himself home in his own vehicle.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have a Guinness every now and then. My days of getting ripped are far behind me. I do remember getting so ripped that my friends took me home and left me on the front lawn after ringing the bell and hauling off. I myself have taken a few of my friends back to thier house as well.

I think his friends are partialy responsible for anything that happened.

I never drink when I'm carrying. Only at home (blue moon) when my side arm is put up.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    We don't know that he had no malicious intent. We can't ask him, he's dead.
    I know we can't ask him, but based on what the story states and all of the circumstances it was an assumption on my part. Just another drunk in the wrong place, and he paid for it.

If someone did the same thing in my home, the outcome would be the same. I'm not going to wait until he breaks into my home to ask him if he has malicious intents.
    Same here, I would not hesitate to defend my home and family.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Under Colorado's "Make My Day" law, people are allowed to use deadly force in self defense against intruders in their home.
    I'm sorry, but is anyone else going to call this line for what it is? HorsePatties! This would be a justifiable shooting even in most locales where no explicit Castle Doctrine law is operative. I would have done the same thing as the homeowner in this situation without fear of prosecution even here in Southern California. The only thing that the Castle Doctrine does is provide guidelines where the facts of the case are more ambiguous or to reign in rogue prosecutors who are opposed to justifiable homicide rulings.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    I'm sorry, but is anyone else going to call this line for what it is? HorsePatties! This would be a justifiable shooting even in most locales where no explicit Castle Doctrine law is operative. I would have done the same thing as the homeowner in this situation without fear of prosecution even here in Southern California. The only thing that the Castle Doctrine does is provide guidelines where the facts of the case are more ambiguous or to reign in rogue prosecutors who are opposed to justifiable homicide rulings.

Ryan
    Can't speak to Colorado's law specifically, but the advantage to most state's castle doctrine laws is that in addition to immunity from prosecution, they also prevent civil lawsuits from the BG's family.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Can't speak to Colorado's law specifically, but the advantage to most state's castle doctrine laws is that in addition to immunity from prosecution, they also prevent civil lawsuits from the BG's family.

Hoss
    I understand that, but the article was addressing criminal sanctions. Immunity from civil action wasn't even mentioned.

What I dislike is the impression one could get in reading the article that it would have been unlawful for the man to act as he did prior to the passage of 18-1-704.5.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I see it as another subtle attempt to make those of us who are prepared to use lethal force in self defense as vigilantes or urban cowboys.

Ryan
    d2jlking likes this.
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links