Neutral: Man kills daughter's boyfriend.

This is a discussion on Neutral: Man kills daughter's boyfriend. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm inclined to think it's a good shoot but It's marred by the fact that the shooter forgot about the fifth amendment and evidently was ...

Thread: Neutral: Man kills daughter's boyfriend.

I'm inclined to think it's a good shoot but It's marred by the fact that the shooter forgot about the fifth amendment and evidently was in possession of a stolen gun (this may well have been purchased prior to registration so I wouldn't be willing to convict him for it but it won't sound good to the "Jury of your peers who were too stupid to find a way to get out of jury duty" (I don't know who came up with that line, but that describes the makeup of far too many juries).

I saw the story a few weeks ago, but didn't post because there weren't enough facts available.

The daughter of a Simi Valley man accused of fatally shooting Bryan Wall, her boyfriend, told police that Wall had slapped her in the face on the night of the slaying while they were driving home from a party in Los Angeles, according to a search warrant affidavit.

Harry Scribner is accused of shooting Wall, 31, the boyfriend of his daughter, Jamie Scribner, outside the defendant’s home in Simi Valley about 1 a.m. Nov. 16.

During his arraignment in Ventura County Superior Court on Dec. 9, Harry Scribner, 65, pleaded not guilty to voluntary manslaughter along with a new charge of possessing a stolen firearm. A murder charge against him was reduced to voluntary manslaughter. Prosecutors believe Scribner may have believed the victim had beaten his daughter.

The case is set for a routine early-disposition hearing Monday in Superior Court.

Neither Scribner’s lawyer, Mark Pachowicz, nor the prosecutor, Senior Deputy District Attorney Richard Simon, could be reached for comment on Wednesday.

Details of the shooting were given in an attached affidavit by Simi Valley Police Detective Jay Carrott, indicating that Wall and Jamie Scribner had a “volatile dating relationship” for about two years.

Harry Scribner told the detective that his daughter had told him that Wall had hit her and broken her nose during their stormy relationship.

In the affidavit, Carrott states Jamie Scribner told him that during their November argument, she got into the back seat of Wall’s pickup truck while driving to Simi Valley from Los Angeles. Wall reached back and “backhanded” her, slapping the right side of her face while he was driving.

Then, Wall drove Jamie Scribner to her parents’ home, even though she didn’t live there. Wall got out of the pickup truck and began pounding on the front door of the home.

Harry Scribner told Carrott that he was awakened by the pounding, opened the door and saw his daughter in the pickup truck with blood on her face.

An angry confrontation ensued between Harry Scribner and Wall, who approached Scribner in “an aggressive manner,” the affidavit says.

‘Intent to just scare’

Scribner said he didn’t believe that he could make it inside his house and lock the door before Wall caught up with him, according to the affidavit.

Scribner told Carrott that he didn’t see Wall with anything in his hand or hear him say anything while coming toward him, the affidavit states.

When Wall was 10 to 15 feet away, he raised the gun “with the intent to just scare” Wall away, Scribner told the detective. Scribner claimed the gun went off without his “even touching the trigger.” He also told Carrott that he was “aiming” over Wall’s shoulder, according to the affidavit.

Scribner and his daughter told the detective that Wall had his hands to his side.

Scribner said that Wall was never confrontational with him and “could not explain why Bryan Wall charged at him after getting all the way back to his vehicle.”

After the shooting, Harry Scribner went inside his house, put the gun back in the case under a pillow, changed his pants and came out again.

Scribner said that he purchased the gun from a Los Angeles Police Department officer 30 to 40 years ago.

Single shot to neck killed Wall

Wall, a Simi Valley resident, was pronounced dead of a single gunshot wound about 1:45 a.m. in the driveway, police said.

An autopsy report shows he died of a single wound to the front of the neck.

“The bullet came to rest under the skin” and on the back of Wall’s shoulder, according to the affidavit.

Wall was not facing his assailant, the autopsy report indicates, according to Carrott’s affidavit.

Wall was “moving away from the gunfire,” the report says. He also had “numerous contusions and lacerations on the right side of Wall’s face that were not consistent” with his fall after being shot, the affidavit states.

Carrott also states that the gun’s previous owner said he bought the gun at a Big 5 Sporting Goods store in Simi Valley and that it was stolen in a burglary at his home in 1982.

Harry Scribner said he never confronted his daughter about “any domestic violence allegations” because he “tries to stay out of it.”

If convicted of the charges, Scribner faces up to 21 years in jail, though he could also be sentenced to probation, Simon said in an earlier interview.

Simon also has said there is evidence that Scribner could have acted in the heat of passion — an intensely emotional state caused by strong provocation, which can reduce a murder charge to manslaughter.

In an interview after the Dec. 9 arraignment, Pachowicz said voluntary manslaughter is still a serious charge, adding that he didn’t know why his client had ever been charged with murder in the first place.

In 2002, Harry Scribner and his wife, Renee, were voted Karaoke Jockeys of the Year by the Southland’s Karaoke Scene magazine. They owned a company called A Fine Note Karaoke.
    Alleged killer said man hit his daughter, warrant says : Simi Valley : Ventura County Star

VIP Member
    If the facts the DA's office are putting out are true, I would say the guys in serious trouble.

1. Stolen gun, supposedly bought from a LA LEO 30-40 years ago, but wasn't stolen until 1982. I'll bet he doesn't remember the LEO's name either.
    2. Shot in the back.

Of course he does have this in his favor:

In 2002, Harry Scribner and his wife, Renee, were voted Karaoke Jockeys of the Year by the Southland’s Karaoke Scene magazine.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm afraid in California, he's going to find himself in a lot of trouble. Probably the most troubling statement to me is:
    When Wall was 10 to 15 feet away, he raised the gun “with the intent to just scare” Wall away, Scribner told the detective. Scribner claimed the gun went off without his “even touching the trigger.”

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Believe it or not, I think he has a pretty good chance of getting off if his attorney isn't an idiot. Ventura County as a whole is very pro gun. Even the majority of our liberals are naive about gun laws, not anti-gun per se.

Unfortunately, attorneys not familiar with justifiable homicide jurisprudence tend to screw things up for defendants around here by permitting "It was an accident" statements by the defendant to stand and in some cases actually saying that to the jury themselves. Juries just don't like the idea of someone holding a gun accidentally shooting someone.

Ryan

After the shooting, Harry Scribner went inside his house, put the gun back in the case under a pillow, changed his pants and came out again.
    I can see this being very important in a good defense,your honor my client was so scared he defecated upon his self
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2nd degree murder, by the sounds of it... manslaugher at best.

While the boyfriend certainly sounds like a dirtbag (why she stayed with him for two years, who knows), I don't think this was a good shoot. Just the rather ridiculous way he described the shooting is suspicious in and of itself.

I don't blame the guy for being angry beyond belief, but if his response was to shoot the boyfriend, then that is not good. It also gives lawful gun owners a bad name - "oh, so you just angry and shoot people, huh? This is why civilians should not have guns!"

I have a feeling this guy would've probably beat this guy to death if he didn't have his gun on him.

If he shot him, say so. 'Gun went off by itself'? BS. Pure BS, and they're gonna tear through that.

VIP Member
    I think this is going to be the key to the prosecutions case.

Wall was not facing his assailant, the autopsy report indicates, according to Carrott’s affidavit.

Wall was “moving away from the gunfire,” the report says. He also had “numerous contusions and lacerations on the right side of Wall’s face that were not consistent” with his fall after being shot, the affidavit states.
    Wall had turned his back and was walking away from Scribner when he was shot. I don't see how he can even hope to justify it as being in defense of his life.

From what the autopsy is saying somebody got a beat down after they were shot from behind. He's going to jail, never once in there did he admit that he was afraid for his or his daughter's life. And with a stolen gun in the most gun restrictive state in the nation. Hope some of his karaoke buddies can help his wife keep the business afloat while he's gone.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

When Wall was 10 to 15 feet away, he raised the gun “with the intent to just scare” Wall away, Scribner told the detective. Scribner claimed the gun went off without his “even touching the trigger.” He also told Carrott that he was “aiming” over Wall’s shoulder, according to the affidavit.

Scribner and his daughter told the detective that Wall had his hands to his side.
    Ahhhhh. A magic gun. Un-aimed, un-touched with arms to the side, and the thing still went off. He's got a defective gun.

If the core fact ends up being that the 31yr old boyfriend had violently beaten the lady and began an assault on the man on his own doorstep, then the man has a fair chance of having a jury see this. His disclaiming of responsibility or intent is a bit false, though. He seems to have pulled the gun for cause and knew it, though the firing at that moment might well have been training reflex.

Then again, it's southern California. Anything could happen in court.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wall had turned his back and was walking away from Scribner when he was shot. I don't see how he can even hope to justify it as being in defense of his life.
    Yeah those details are not in his favor.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

this whole thing looks like it could have been avoided.think before you act.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Sponsored Links