Student Dressed as German Soldier Shot to Death by Police

This is a discussion on Student Dressed as German Soldier Shot to Death by Police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Even if he was wearing a Keebler Elf costume he should have been shot. Can you imagine the stories back at the station that the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Student Dressed as German Soldier Shot to Death by Police

Senior Moderator
    Even if he was wearing a Keebler Elf costume he should have been shot.
    Can you imagine the stories back at the station that the cops would have to endure forever?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

All if a sudden I want cookies and milk.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Would they have shot if he were wearing a Dunkin Donut uniform?

Tazer or any other LTL method would have been a dumb choice in this situation. He's armed with a rifle with fixed bayonet and refuses to obey commands. As I see it they did the only sensible thing they could do.

Unhappy

Forrest said it all.

"stupid is as stupid does"

I doubt the idiots attire had anything to do with his being shot. The officer reacted to a deadly threat the same way I would have.

I'm sure the media added whatever facts they could to the story in order to make it more "News worthy". Kinda like the way the folks that used to be called something harmless like a hermit are now called separatists. Makes better news and gets the city folks to watch their channel.

Michael

Yes, it really has nothing to do with his choice of uniform. According to his other friends he regularly enjoyed wearing lots of historical uniforms, including American uniforms. His friends were specific in that while he wore the uniforms, he would not wear specific logos or symbols - for example, Swastikas on his German officers (or whatever type of WW2 German uniform he wore) uniform.

He was just a history buff. There's nothing wrong with that... he was hardly a neo-Nazi.

Nonetheless, it is very tragic that this happened. Indeed, if only he had left that rifle in his closet! A bright mind gone to waste due to a night of poor decisions by him and his friends. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Can someone say Tazer?
    You use a Taser at level four, not level six.

If someone is pointing a firearm at a police officer, they deserve to be shot.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Or it could have been a German troop that somehow got put into a time warp and and he really was thinking about shooting the cops, but he couldnt quite tell what army they were from because of their uniforms. He may not have understood English. The government knew this and fabricated a story to cover it up.

And the Cops are thinking...man...what a way to end a shift.
    I like this version, the Goverment is always covering those time portals up
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Point a gun at the police and get taken down.

I don't see the problem here.

VIP Member

The problem is misunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    Point a gun at the police and get taken down.

I don't see the problem here.
    The problem is that apparently (with 20/20) he was a harmless eccentric. There was in reality, Ability-- the bayonet*, but the rifle itself was loaded with blanks; Opportunity yes! But No jeopardy-only the perception of jeopardy, and no intent.

The goofy dress probably conveyed an intent that wasn't there. And I think the goofy dress contributed to whatever haste was made to fire on the moron.

It is entirely possible given the scene that there was barely time for the moron to understand what he needed to do and react before he was shot.

Yes, he was a goof and a moron, and yes the shoot was justified, but it was a mistake nonetheless. A tragic inexplicable mistake.

Was it avoidable? I don't know. Wasn't there. I bet we find out one way or the other later.

Stuff happens, and this situation is an example of a tragic misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    What if he dressed up as a confederate and had this happen?
    Then we would evoke the spirit of Gen. Lee and raise up again. But we would probably just loose again.

This is a sad story all around. College kid dead, Cops having to answer to not only IA but also the public opinion based on screwed up reporting and now very possibly second guessing themselves. Family with a dead member, being remembered as "they guy dressed in a German uniform getting shot 'cause he didn't drop the rifle when told to".
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The problem is that apparently (with 20/20) he was a harmless eccentric. There was in reality, Ability-- the bayonet*, but the rifle itself was loaded with blanks; Opportunity yes! But No jeopardy-only the perception of jeopardy, and no intent.
    Any "reasonable man" would see jeopardy in that situation.

The goofy dress probably conveyed an intent that wasn't there. And I think the goofy dress contributed to whatever haste was made to fire on the moron.
    No. Really, the rifle in his hands and pointing it at the officers was probably more instrumental in the officers' "hasty" response.

It is entirely possible given the scene that there was barely time for the moron to understand what he needed to do and react before he was shot.
    He reacted- exactly the opposite of what was directed.

Yes, he was a goof and a moron, and yes the shoot was justified, but it was a mistake nonetheless. A tragic inexplicable mistake.

Was it avoidable? I don't know. Wasn't there. I bet we find out one way or the other later.

Stuff happens, and this situation is an example of a tragic misunderstanding.
    No mistake- he made a choice. Real life isn't "Tour of Duty;" no reset button... If his reasoning was genuinely that limited, he should not have been living alone. Loving mom should have called Adult Protective Services about his questionable pecadilloes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links