Student Dressed as German Soldier Shot to Death by Police

This is a discussion on Student Dressed as German Soldier Shot to Death by Police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Student Dressed as German Soldier Shot to Death by Police - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News Student ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Student Dressed as German Soldier Shot to Death by Police

Thumbs down Student Dressed as German Soldier Shot to Death by Police

FOXNews.com - Student Dressed as German Soldier Shot to Death by Police - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Saturday, January 03, 2009

SEATTLE A college student dressed in a vintage German military uniform who was fatally shot by police on New Year's Day was a harmless, eccentric history buff, his family and friends said Friday.

Miles Murphy, a University of Washington senior, was shot several times at his apartment early Thursday after police said he pointed a rifle affixed with a bayonet at officers and refused orders to drop the weapon.

Seattle police had converged on Murphy's apartment after receiving complaints that several men were firing rifle and shotgun rounds into the air. Murphy emerged from inside and pointed what was later identified as a World War II Kar 98 German infantry rifle at the officers, police said.

When he refused several orders to drop the weapon, two officers fired seven shots, police Officer Jeff Kappel said. Murphy was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he died.

A witness told some officers at the scene that Murphy had been firing blanks that night.

Police searching the house found alcohol, live ammunition and a large collection of German, Russian and Nazi memorabilia including photographs and uniforms, Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said.

But Murphy "wasn't a Nazi," Hattie Taylor, a friend, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "He was just fascinated with the past... He liked to dress up and have fun."

Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske called the situation "truly sad" but stood by the officers' actions. "Right now, I don't see any other choice that they had," he said.

The two officers who fired at Murphy were placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

Murphy, 22, was a senior Germanics major, university President Mark Emmert said in a statement Friday mourning his loss.

Murphy wanted to be a German literature professor and had a large collection of WWII memorabilia, said his friend Spencer Bray.

He was "a peaceful and loving young man," his mother, Dianne Murphy, told the local newspaper.
    IF as reported by LE, it is a tough shoot, but probably justified.
    Certainly sounds like a bad mix of guns (even with blanks) and alcohol.

Too sad for LEOs, as well as this young man's family and friends.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I can't stand people who have a fascination with Nazi's. Personally, I do not have any sympathy for the guy.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I can't stand people who have a fascination with Nazi's. Personally, I do not have any sympathy for the guy.
    There have been a few different reports here, but they all make it seem like a good shoot. He didn't drop the rifle (which had a bayonet) when ordered, and the rest is history.

It wasn't just German, he dressed in all kinds of uniforms, polish, russian, british.... Your avatar speaks for itself about the Nazi thing, I suppose.

Not to sound harsh but it was brought on by the (peaceful and loving) deceased. What other course of action were they to take? A report of shots fired and someone pointing a gun at them is not the time to second guess.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Its seems that he had a fascination with WW 2 stuff. Lots of people do.

I've got a lot of WW 2 battle rifles from different country's.

If had been playing around with one and some cops with guns drawn on me told me to put it down, you can bet I would put it down,right then. As for the cops, they probably had been told that shots were fired, and heres this guy dressed up like a Nazi with a K98 with a pig sticker on it.

What were they supposed to think? Then the guy refuses to drop the gun when told to do so.

What a weird night on the job.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

1. He was dressed in German Infantry attire from WWII - not Nazi attire.

2. He didn't just refuse to drop his weapon. He pointed it at the Officers. Twice. The second time was it.

3. He had been out firing blanks in the street with at least two other people.

The local press is being outrageous, they are sensationalizing everything. Of all the Police Agencies in WA that I regularly interact with, SPD is my least favorite. But in this case they are being completely hosed by the Lib-Media of Seattle.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I don't care who you are if you have a gun and the cops tell you to drop it loaded or not that is not the time to argue or resist their demands
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Natural selection at its finest.

Police tell you to drop a gun and you point it at them, you probably won't live to learn the lesson.

Only thing sad about this case is that the two officers must be going through a lot, and thinking about every "What If" Imaginable. Prayers to the two officers

Senior Moderator
    Only thing sad about this case is that the two officers must be going through a lot, and thinking about every "What If" Imaginable. Prayers to the two officers
    Or it could have been a German troop that somehow got put into a time warp and and he really was thinking about shooting the cops, but he couldnt quite tell what army they were from because of their uniforms. He may not have understood English. The government knew this and fabricated a story to cover it up.

And the Cops are thinking...man...what a way to end a shift.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Or it could have been a German troop that somehow got put into a time warp and and he really was thinking about shooting the cops, but he couldnt quite tell what army they were from because of their uniforms. He may not have understood English. The government knew this and fabricated a story to cover it up.

I like your story better.

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Personally I have no sympathy with the guy either. You dont go around pointing guns at people. Sounds like a good shoot.

The fact he was wearing a german uniform has nothing to do with anything. Many people collect all kinds of millitary stuff. Its a big market amongst many of us. I prefer civil war items, does that make me bad?

Michael

Senior Moderator
    I prefer civil war items, does that make me bad?
    I guess that would depend on if you collected Yankee or Rebel stuff.
    Which is it?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Now that you've said this... don't be surprised at the black helicopters over your house tonight. You will "disappear" by tomorrow.

he pointed a rifle affixed with a bayonet at officers and refused orders to drop the weapon.
    End of story.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I guess that would depend on if you collected Yankee or Rebel stuff.
    Which is it?
    I knew someone would ask!
    I aint sayin. Not safe in todays PC society. Someone might call the cops an report me as a terrorist.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links