Interesting Self Defense story

This is a discussion on Interesting Self Defense story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read this in the paper the other day. No link to the story, but basically, 3 suspects broke into a mans house in Clearlake, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Self Defense story

Interesting Self Defense story

I read this in the paper the other day. No link to the story, but basically, 3 suspects broke into a mans house in Clearlake, CA, 1 armed with a shotgun, 1 armed with a bat. Came into the house yelling "where's the weed, gimme the weed" Home owners 17yo son was beaten into a coma, home owner grabbed his pistol and ended the situation. 2 suspects dead, and here's an interesting twist, the 3rd suspect is being charged with 2 counts of murder for his 2 friends. His actions led to their deaths. I've never heard of that one. No charges on the home owner, clearly a justified situation, even in California!

2. Remove Ads

to bad about the guys son..

Glad they charged the other scumbag with the 2 deaths

If you know of or are involved in any way in the comission of a crime and there is a death you are as guilty of the event as thoug you pulled the trigger, and can be charged as such.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J
    If you know of or are involved in any way in the comission of a crime and there is a death you are as guilty of the event as thoug you pulled the trigger, and can be charged as such.
    That's a great law! I love it, never knew that. Hopefully this guy will go away for a looooong time so we don't have to deal with him.

Assistant Administrator
    That makes absolute sense to me - enter a situation as a felon and so be culpable for all that happens, even if indirect.

Yes - that is very sensible. All that and CA too - amazing!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Too bad about the son.

Good the BG's get charged, since their actions lead to others dying.

California is pretty serious about crime (3 strikes and all that) believe it or not. As an ex-resident, I usually took note of some great laws, and even better DA's.

California's big problem stems from the fact that they feel that controlling guns is a crime preventative measure, and like most crime laws, they are serious about it...

...Now enforcement of some of those laws, as well as some of their insane civil courts are another thing all together.
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Lead Moderator
    Just when you think there is nothing right about California, they go and do something like this!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    The doctrine is known as "felony murder", and many jurisdictions (including Federal) have some form of felony murder statute.

http://www.answers.com/topic/felony-murder

Matt

Matt beat me to it Felony Murder you willfully caused an action that resulted in the death(s) during the commission of a felony.
    Prayers for the 17 year old.
    It seems most of these home invasions are drug and/or drug money motivated: Makes me want to slap around the next dolt that utters "drugs area victimless crime."
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Drugs are a victimless crime when posessing/distributing drugs isn't criminalized...

You saw the same kind of crime around alcohol in the 30's, and that pretty much evaporated when prohibition was repealed.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say you should go soft on criminals that kill/assult/etc. I'm saying that the fact that there's a demand for these illegal substances will be met by people by extralegal means.

יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Drugs are a victimless crime when posessing/distributing drugs isn't criminalized...

You saw the same kind of crime around alcohol in the 30's, and that pretty much evaporated when prohibition was repealed.
    I disagree. Unless you consider some stoned driver running over your little girl "victimless".

Drugs are bad news. Legalizing them will eliminate some problems, but it opens up a whole new can of worms. An addict will do almost anything, to get that next high. Legalization will not prevent that.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, and I do see the point you are trying to make. I just find it hard to beleive you have ever had the misfortune to deal with anyone who has fried their brain, and or, seen what they are capable of doing to anyone who gets in their way.

Sorry folks,
    We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Yeah, these guys were only doing a home invasion and beating a child in the head w/ a bat, because of the heavy handedness of the federal drug policies...
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Thumbs down Legalized Heroin?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    I disagree. Unless you consider some stoned driver running over your little girl "victimless".

Drugs are bad news. Legalizing them will eliminate some problems, but it opens up a whole new can of worms. An addict will do almost anything, to get that next high. Legalization will not prevent that.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, and I do see the point you are trying to make. I just find it hard to beleive you have ever had the misfortune to deal with anyone who has fried their brain, and or, seen what they are capable of doing to anyone who gets in their way.

Sorry folks,
    We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
    Ask Holland how well legalizing drugs worked out. When I was over for REFORGER 81 we had to pick up the battalion vehicles in Amsterdam. I saw the neat little area called appropriately Needle Park where the government hands out fresh needles everyday to prevent the spread of diseases (back then that was a secondary and as yet unknown benefit about AIDS which really was just getting started) and to pick up the bodies of the OD's that expired during the night. Holland already had socialized medicine and having to take care of legalized junkies only made it far worse.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

"Drugs are a victimless crime when posessing/distributing drugs isn't criminalized... "

Nothing to smile about bub.

We take care of a little 9 year old girl, Her dad is in prison for causing a fatality accident while on drugs.
    AK just had 2 more folks killed by a repeat offender that was smoking crack while speeding down the highway.
    Across the road from us, a couple had a fight while he was recovering from a an accident w/fatalities that he caused while doing
    drugs. During the fight he jumped into his truck and just missed running over an 8 year old girl. Yeah, he went back to jail.
    Drugs are a scourge on society.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links