Bad/Ugly: New video shows BART officer shooting Hayward man in the back

This is a discussion on Bad/Ugly: New video shows BART officer shooting Hayward man in the back within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Video...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

VIP Member
    Yep I think that is going to be a very bad shooting.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Wow, can't believe that cop did that. Nothing to really say, the video shows it all.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

It ain't pretty.

That definitely does not look good for the officer, but there are a lot of unanswered questions.
    We don't know if the victim had been properly searched. We can't see his hands just before the shooting. Cuffed does not equal harmless. My old department had an officer find a full size 1911 stuffed into the back seat of a cruiser after dropping a prisoner off. Houston PD about three years ago had an officer killed by handcuffed prisoner in his cruiser. It happens.
    If this guy was pulling a weapon out of his pants, that could be ruled a straight up justified shoot. If he wasn't that could be ruled murder.
    At the moment I don't think we really have enough information to say either way.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what happened, but isn't this the textbook case of what a Taser was intended for? No one had one?

It almost seems as if the cop thought he was using his tazer? Not good for the police.

Michael

Most cops I've seen carrying a tazer have it in a cross draw position to prevent such confusion,the only thing I can think is the guys hand went under his body and the cop thought he was going for a gun,I'm not sure why the guy would start resisting after they had him down but It looks pretty bad for the cop
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

All I can say is WOW! Glad I'm not the cop.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

That honestly looked like an execution not an "Oops, my bad".

Yeah, I was not there, crappy video quality, can not see the suspects hands...Still two officers holding him down, even if he was reaching for a gun while restrained, the officer standing up to draw and fire (the time it took to do so) was excessive.

Here is the second bad LEO shooting, where is the third one?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what happened, but isn't this the textbook case of what a Taser was intended for? No one had one?
    Tasers can be and frequently have been lethal weapons. Granted it's a bit less likely to kill you than a gunshot to a vital organ, but it's messing around with the electrochemical balance of the body, and that is not particularly good. Especially with repeated tasings in a short span of time, this can be very lethal. I recall a kid in central Florida being killed by tasers, and the boy who jumped off the bridge and was tasered with a broken leg and several broken ribs almost died because he couldn't have surgery to repair his wounds due to an elevated white blood cell count from the tasing. Granted, he was attempting suicide so perhaps he wanted to die instead, but that is not for officers to decide.

I just have started hearing more and more about police pulling weapons when it is unnecessary. I blame video games, seriously.

Also, here is an alternate link to the video in question in case the first link dies.

YouTube - Bart Police shooting in Oakland KTVU report

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Things do not look good for the officer who fired the shot and for the department and city in general.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by 1John5vs7 View Post
    ...I just have started hearing more and more about police pulling weapons when it is unnecessary. I blame video games, seriously....
    WOW. That is just like saying the gun jumped out of the holster and fired without anyone touching the trigger.

People who blame inanimate objects for the behavior of a person seriously need to step back and ponder that theory.

PARENTING!!!!!!!

I'm outta' here.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    It is too early to make any assumptions about what happened. We won't know until all the facts are in. What we do know:
    1) Once the suspect was proned out he began resisting the arrest
    2) none of the videos show the suspects hands nor does the audio catch any exchange between the suspect and the officers

In short, we don't know all the facts. I'll withhold forming an opinion until all the facts are in.

WOW! That is stunning and shocking all at once. WTH was the LEO thinking? I cannot imagine why he would have pulled his gun in the first place.
    Last edited by Miggy; January 7th, 2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: language workaround

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links