Good - armed citizen bystander shoots robber

This is a discussion on Good - armed citizen bystander shoots robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A Good Samaritan shot and killed an armed man this morning who was beating a woman with a bottle at an Ocoee gasoline station, police ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good - armed citizen bystander shoots robber

Senior Moderator

Good - armed citizen bystander shoots robber

A Good Samaritan shot and killed an armed man this morning who was beating a woman with a bottle at an Ocoee gasoline station, police said.

Records show that sometime before 10:50 p.m., the witness -- whose name has not been released -- was parked in his SUV outside the Kangaroo Gas Station at 400 Franklin Street. At some point, he heard a woman screaming in the gas station's convenience store.

"All I heard was the woman screaming, 'Help! Help! Help!' "the witness said.

The witness ran out of his car and into the store. He saw the suspect beating a female clerk with a bottle. The witness ran back into his car, grabbed his handgun and returned to the store. He fired at least two shots, killing the suspect.

He called 911 and explained what had happened at the gas station.

Rescue crews transported the store clerk to Health Central Hospital with head injuries.

Investigators did not release the names of the victim or suspect. It is unclear if the witness had a permit to carry his handgun.

Police: Man shot, killed robber who was beating woman -- OrlandoSentinel.com
    Of course, the armed citizen doesn't need a permit to carry the gun in his vehicle, but we don't expect the Sentinel to get complex things like that correct.

Sounds like the clerk was lucky that this guy happened along when he did.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Things worked out for the best, but I don't feel it was very smart of the samaritan to go running towards the scene of 'who knows what is happening', and then has to go back to his car to get his weapon. He is lucky that when he entered the store, the scumbag wasn't pistol-whipping the clerk and then decided to shoot the samaritan.

Like I said, things worked out for the best, and good on the samaritan for coming to the clerk's aid.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

The fallout from this one should be interesting. I hope the C-store video cameras were working.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Moderator
    IMHO, he's on pretty solid legal footing. Florida law allows the use of deadly force to defend one's self or another from the commission of a forceable felony.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Senior Moderator
    Another report on the incident: Man Shoots, Kills Suspected Robber Inside Store - News Story - WFTV Orlando

I'm not sure he's doing himself any favors talking to the media at this point, though.....

Matt

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I agree that the shooter should be fine legally. I believe most states allow the use of deadly force for protection of a third party from great bodily harm. I know the lib-tard state of CT where I live does.

[EDIT] Here is the CT statute on defense of a third party, I would imagine most states are similarly worded:

Sec. 53a-19. Use of physical force in defense of person. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section, a person is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of physical force, and he may use such degree of force which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose; except that deadly physical force may not be used unless the actor reasonably believes that such other person is (1) using or about to use deadly physical force, or (2) inflicting or about to inflict great bodily harm.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Good one to share, thanks...
    For God, Family and Country!

Good for him. I hope everything turns out O.K. and he's not charged with anything.

I don't think it was very smart giving an interview at the scene. I guess what I find most strange is that while he doesn't want his last name used, he apparently has no problem with them plastering his face all over the TV screen.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

This is not far from my shop, what a world!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

A classic case of when TV cameras start rolling you get your 15 seconds of fame and diarrhea mouth
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good shoot to me. Hopefully his opening his mouth to reporters doesn't wend up biting himself in the butt.

I hope the family doesn't try and get even with him.

He probably doesn't want to have his last name used so it is harder for strangers to find him. He should be on solid legal ground and if he is still a free man, then it was rules justified and he will have know issues with civil liability either.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Good for him, and good that he made the right call (as third party defenses are something we debate ad nauseum here on the boards, with good reason).

I think he'll be okay, and the jab about the permit was probably just due to the Slantinel, I mean, Sentinel. They're sort of like the NYT of Orlando, and also have basically a newspaper monopoly here.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1965 View Post
    I hope the family doesn't try and get even with him.
    Florida does not allow a civil suit if it was a clean shoot.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links