BART Transit Police shoot an unarmed man in the back.

This is a discussion on BART Transit Police shoot an unarmed man in the back. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will start by posting the video link up to this. It is a KTVU news report on a shooting wherein a young black-hispanic male ...

Thread: BART Transit Police shoot an unarmed man in the back.

I will start by posting the video link up to this. It is a KTVU news report on a shooting wherein a young black-hispanic male is roughed up a bit on the ground and is then shot in the back by transit police in Oakland, CA.

Now, I don't know anything about being a police officer. Maybe this kid did something or said something that is a universal "I need to draw my gun" kind of thing and that would explain why the officer pulled a pistol on a handcuffed, unarmed man who was flat on his belly on the ground.

That being said, my first assumption is that this was extreme police brutality and is a prime example of why California needs to make it easier to get and carry a handgun. Whatever this man was arrested for, he could have been deterred before police showed up by citizens who were carrying a weapon.

Instead, a son and a father of a 4 year old child is now dead, an officer is off duty (though I note he is getting paid during his suspension, hmm), and a $25million wrongful death lawsuit is pending. This is not good.

What do you folks at DefensiveCarry think about this situation?

Thank you and God bless you,
    David

P.S. I do not mean to construe police officers in general as "bad guys." I think the police are about the same mix as the rest of us: some really good law abiding folks, and some folks who are just brutes. In this case, it seems that a few brutes murdered a young man, but perhaps more facts will emerge to the contrary. God bless the police who are honest and law abiding for helping to serve and protect.

Senior Moderator
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Sponsored Links