GOOD: Darwin Award Candidate Near My Home

This is a discussion on GOOD: Darwin Award Candidate Near My Home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So this morning started out interesting. I was still asleep at 7:30 and got a call from my aunt informing me that there was an ...

Thread: GOOD: Darwin Award Candidate Near My Home

GOOD: Darwin Award Candidate Near My Home

So this morning started out interesting. I was still asleep at 7:30 and got a call from my aunt informing me that there was an armed man being pursued by police in my area of the city and she wanted to make sure I knew. Naturally that woke me up better than any alarm clock. It turned out the area cordoned off was about a mile from my home. Still way too close for comfort so my Commander and Mossberg came out for support. The story didn't change much as the morning progressed, all they would say was that the man shot at police when they came to respond to a domestic violence report and then he set the house on fire. They told people nearby to stay in their homes and started searching with helicopters and thermal cameras. Then around 11:00 they got the fire put out, but still hadn't located the shooter. Here's where it gets good; the idiot got stuck in the house! They found what little remained of his body after the fire was out. I absolutely love it because no one was really hurt besides the BG, and no one even has to live with taking him out, he did it to himself! Sometimes there really is justice. Here's the story if you want to know more: WICU12 News - Man Beats Wife, Shoots at Police, Sets House on Fire
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Only bad thing I see in this is his neighbors home was destroyed by the fire also.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Only bad thing I see in this is his neighbors home was destroyed by the fire also.
    Man Beats Wife, Shoots at Police, Sets House on Fire
    January 6, 2009, 6:20 pm

Only rubble remains of two homes, destroyed by mayhem early Tuesday morning. CLICK FOR VIDEO A body was recovered this afternoon, it's believed to be that of the suspect who started Tuesday's incident.

It all started Tuesday morning, when a woman walked into the Erie police department, and said she was assaulted by her husband.
    So Erie police responded to their home, at 1354 West 25th Street. When police arrive, the suspect, 42 year old Robert Daniels, shot at police, firing rounds into a cruiser.

Police say Daniels fired several shots, anywhere from 20 to 30 rounds were fired in the neighborhood, hitting buildings in the area as well.
    Erie Police say no officers fired a shot back.

About an hour after Daniels fired these shots, his home caught fire.

The Erie police department SWAT team was called in.
    Erie fire departments also responded, but fire fighters couldn't battle the blaze, as the scene was not secure. Police say Daniels was spotted outside of his home at least once during the shooting, and police weren't sure where he was.

So, fire fighters were forced to watch the home burn, destroying the home next door as well.

A state police helicopter was also called in, to use infrared technology to assist police in finding Daniels.

"Due to the fact that we were not aware of the exact presence of the suspect, we did in fact set up a perimeter." Our SWAT team was called in as well as the Sheriff's department and State Police. Their helicopter was utilized and the area was swept with infrared system to see if maybe the suspect was in the area. And yes, we were concerned about fire fighter safety. So before we allowed them in to put that fire out we had to make sure the area was secure." Said Erie Police Chief Steve Franklin.

A body was recovered in the home around 2:00 Tuesday afternoon. It is believed to be that of the suspects, but further tests will have to confirm that.
    Well, and the wife being assaulted. Otherwise, looks like the best likely outcome (short of him confessing, apologizing, repenting and atoning-none of which was likely).
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

wow. sometimes, i really think there really is a Santa Claus.

Links