GOOD: Home Invader Loses Gun Battle - West Park, FL

This is a discussion on GOOD: Home Invader Loses Gun Battle - West Park, FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; West Park homeowner kills robber | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY An armed robber who held a West Park man at gunpoint outside his home early ...

Thread: GOOD: Home Invader Loses Gun Battle - West Park, FL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Home Invader Loses Gun Battle - West Park, FL

West Park homeowner kills robber | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY

An armed robber who held a West Park man at gunpoint outside his home early this morning was killed when his victim pulled out a gun and fired first, the Broward County Sheriff's Office said.

Brian Kelley, 22, was returning to his apartment in the 4100 block of Southwest 19th Street about 4:39 a.m. when he said Kenneth Nelson, 42, came up from behind him and put a gun to his head, according to sheriff’s office spokesman Mike Jachles.

Kelley pulled out his own handgun and fired, striking and killing Nelson, of Hollywood.

Homicides detectives questioned Kelley after the shooting but did not take him into custody. Kelley acted in self-defense, investigators believe, but the sheriff’s office will present the case to the Broward State Attorney's Office for review.
    I am thinking that if someone approaches me from behind and has a gun to my head, what do I have to lose? Go for broke, seems like what this guy did and he came out on top.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Sounds like either he knew good tactics or the BG hesitated or had an empty/fake gun.

Sometimes you've got to roll the dice...........
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I love the area I live in there are no shrubs or objects anybody can hide behind and attack from within at least 100 feet of my house.Sometimes with the right training somebody holding a gun on your body is at a disadvantage especially if the gun has a long DA trigger.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've read a couple books and articles by Ayoob recently. Figured I'd do some readin' and learnin' before I start carrying. He said, and I paraphrase, 'never draw on a drawn gun. It's suicide.'

While I see his point, I've been thinking about this alot. If you're sure the guy is going to shoot you anyway, what do you do? Wait for a chance to surreptitiously draw or roll the dice, hoping the BG is caught off guard and you win? I fully realize the best answer is "it depends," but I just see several situations in which you might not have a choice but to draw on a guy holding a gun on you.

VIP Member
    Sounds like he got very lucky. I also wonder if the BG's gun was loaded, or was real. Either way it's something he won't ever do again.

Wow. Having a gun to the head and coming out on top.... Def would like to hear more details on this.
    HK45c V1

I disagree with "Never draw on a drawn gun" period. However, it's good as a general guideline.

There are a few factors coming into play here.

1.) The criminal may or may not plan on shooting you. If shooting you isn't part of their plan, you will likely have time to complete the action before he is able to process the changing circumstances.

2.) The criminal probably wants to relieve you of your valuables before he shoots you to avoid getting blood all over him, again giving you a tactical advantage.

3.) If you meekly comply initially, most criminals will let their guard down briefly whether or not they intend to kill you. Again, +1 tactical advantage to you.

I don't care if I shoot him at the beginning the middle or the end of the encounter as long as I shoot first.

Ryan

Links