UGLY: Woman Ends Horrible Domestic Violence - Rosinton, AL

This is a discussion on UGLY: Woman Ends Horrible Domestic Violence - Rosinton, AL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Wounded wife grabbed gun, killed husband - NewsFlash - al.com ROSINTON, Ala. (AP) — Neighbors on a rural road in Baldwin County didn't pay ...

Thread: UGLY: Woman Ends Horrible Domestic Violence - Rosinton, AL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Police: Wounded wife grabbed gun, killed husband - NewsFlash - al.com

ROSINTON, Ala. (AP) — Neighbors on a rural road in Baldwin County didn't pay much attention to the Cowan residence until gunfire erupted there two days before Christmas, revealing a deadly case of domestic violence.

Investigators said an enraged James Cowan Jr., 39, shot 42-year-old Pamela Cowan in the chest about 5:30 a.m., following a stretch of abuse that started the night before.

He had poured gasoline throughout their small home, dousing his wife and the bed in which she lay.

Then he stacked cushions from furniture on and near his wife and blocked the door with furniture as officers arrived.

But his wife managed to pick up the .357-caliber handgun he had put down briefly and shot him in the head, sheriff's spokesman Maj. Anthony Lowery said.

James Cowan was airlifted to a Mobile hospital where he was pronounced dead. Pamela Cowan was treated at a Pensacola, Fla., hospital and was expected to recover.

A county grand jury later will review the evidence, but Lowery said no charges were filed.

"There's no reason to believe she didn't act in self-defense," Lowery told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday in his Bay Minette office.

During the 13-year marriage, Pamela Cowan had obtained two protective orders against her husband, citing his violent moods, then tried to revoke both, including one about two weeks before the shooting. She told a judge in a letter that her husband needed "one more chance" to change his life. She wrote she had seen a therapist and hoped to save her marriage.

There was no indication the protection order was revoked. The judge in her case did not immediately return a phone message Wednesday.

A week after the shooting, neighbor Peter Ryan cuddled a newborn puppy in the yard of his home within view of the Cowan residence. Ryan said the couple had lived across the road for several years, and said James Cowan helped him remove some Hurricane Ivan debris in 2004.

"He worked on trucks and big rigs," Ryan said. "He was gone a lot. I saw him about a month ago at a store."

In a nearby house, John Danne, a 33-year-old welder doing home repairs, said the area is ordinarily quiet, aside from a drunken driver now and then.

He added, "This scared me, happening a quarter-mile from where I'm working. It's a tragedy."

Rosinton is a small crossroads community about 24 miles east of Mobile. Rural roads run beside farms that raise livestock, Christmas trees and cotton.

Robert "Rob" Hurst, who lives around the bend from Cowans, said the despite the area's quiet appearance, "you never know what goes on behind closed doors."

"It's heartbreaking," said his son, Robbie, as the pair worked in a cycle shop behind their home. "I'm just glad she survived."

Although the shootings startled neighbors, the sheriff's spokesman said most of the county's homicides arise from domestic disputes. Lowery said Cowan's criminal record included about a dozen offenses, including assaults.

As the investigation continued Wednesday, it was not immediately clear what set off last week's shooting. Lowery was among the officers on the shooting scene.

"She was fairly coherent when we were in there," he said, adding that details at the scene matched her account. The gasoline fumes made it "tough to stay in there," he said.

Pamela Cowan's father, Charlie Wilson of Loxley, told the Press-Register, "At times she is all right; at times she is down." Wilson could not be reached for further comment.

A public fundraising effort has been set up to pay her medical bills.

A funeral director in Robertsdale said Wednesday services for Cowan were incomplete.
    Good shooting on her part, hitting him in the head after she had taken one to the chest. Glad to hear that she should survive. Hopefully she will start carrying 24/7 and not get into another abusive relationship.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

This is the reason I got certified.

Plus the fact that I was sick and tired of living in fear.

VIP Member
    Good she was able to get the gun and end the terror, bad she will carry the knowledge to her grave she took a life, no matter how justified it was.

So... if you are woman..... shoot your husband, then douse stuff with gas ... claim he was going to set you on fire .... and you get off ? Is there any other witnesses to his violent temper and abuse in the past ? Ya gotta be careful in these cases, as sometimes the victim is not the victim.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    So... if you are woman..... shoot your husband, then douse stuff with gas ... claim he was going to set you on fire .... and you get off ? Is there any other witnesses to his violent temper and abuse in the past ? Ya gotta be careful in these cases, as sometimes the victim is not the victim.
    You left out shoot yourself in the chest.

Investigators said an enraged James Cowan Jr., 39, shot 42-year-old Pamela Cowan in the chest about 5:30 a.m., following a stretch of abuse that started the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    GOOD point!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I really liked the point about how she got counseling because it must be her fault he acts like he does,classic battered woman syndrome
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

At least she didn't get some other guy involved (I almost got dragged into one of those, it's almost like they don't want to die alone even though they don't really want out).

Ryan

I'm sure anyone who hasn't taken a life can't fathom what's involved after.
    But were I in a life or death situation, I'm willing to take the "guilt" of saving my self.

he was going to burn her alive....im glad he got killed
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    She was "fairly coherent"..... and no mention of a life threatening injury. He was either one hell of a bad shot, or ....

I've seen em both ways...... including people shooting themselves so they could claim self-defense. In this one, I would have to lean in her favor some.... they are seeing the evidence, I'm not.

You forgot the part about how he barricaded himself in as police began to arrive. So she had to convince him to do his part BEFORE dying and after the po po got there....

Sponsored Links