GOOD: Customer with CCW shoots, kills Store Robber

This is a discussion on GOOD: Customer with CCW shoots, kills Store Robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OCOEE, Fla. -- Surveillance video obtained Wednesday afternoon by Eyewitness News shows a violent attack on an Ocoee convenience store clerk that ended with a ...

Thread: GOOD: Customer with CCW shoots, kills Store Robber

GOOD: Customer with CCW shoots, kills Store Robber

OCOEE, Fla. -- Surveillance video obtained Wednesday afternoon by Eyewitness News shows a violent attack on an Ocoee convenience store clerk that ended with a suspect dead. A customer, who had just left the store, came to her rescue with a gun in one hand and a cell phone in the other.

The robber the eyewitness shot twice Tuesday was killed. Police still haven't decided if they'll charge the shooter (cast your vote).

In fact, the shooter, identified only as Chris to protect him, came to the police department parking lot late Wednesday afternoon. He said he's heard nothing from police at this point and he's hoping the release of the video (images | video) and his chilling 911 call (listen to 911 call) will help to show he did the right thing.

See the whole story and the surveillance images and listen to the 911 call HERE

After reading the article and looking at the stores camera images, I fail to see why the police would charge the citizen with ANYTHING. The Bad Guy was beating the store clerk badly when the good guy entered the store. She was down on the floor being beaten.

There is a poll link below the article asking if you feel that the armed citizen should be charged or not. Currently it is running 1447 NO to 41 Yes. Please be sure to vote.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I'm in. 1470 to 41 now. The bad guy business is getting risky...
    Still Clingin'

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Voted, 1474 to 41. I'd really like to see some comments from the folks that voted for punishing the good Samaritan...
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

The robber the eyewitness shot twice Tuesday was killed. Police still haven't decided if they'll charge the shooter (cast your vote).
    Vote, 'cause that'll make all the difference. If 99% want his butt in a sling, then by golly he'll be charged. Yeah, democracy baby! That'll do it!

If the story is true: a GG came to the assistance of a person under threat of death by an armed robber. Charge the GG with what? Failure to hit COM?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The video and audio leave a lot to be desired. From what I can tell it was a good shoot. I don't understand why the 911 call had this person freaking out. I'm sort of wondering now....if you happened on the scene after this took place, and walked in on the supposed rescuer with pistol still in hand.....what would you do not knowing the circumstances?
    I voted in the poll. 1479 say no charges should be filed to 41 that say do charge. 97% in favor of the apparent GG.

Not to nitpick, but the guy actually didn't have a CWP. He did have a pistol legally in his vehicle, and he went back out to his SUV to grab it. He also has the pistol legally. I don't see anything he did wrong, legally or ethically. He did what he had to do to save that woman's life. I don't envy his position... he's obviously devastated he had to take a man's life, but what can you do? Let your friend get beaten to death for no reason by a madman?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    He shouldn't be charged but I wouldn't be surprised if this case doesn't go before the grand jury. I certainly hope it comes back as no bill and the citizen walks !obviously this individual is going to have a long time dealing with his actions even though he saved another life and he has a conscience.Let's hope
    he can move on with his life and this event doesn't become a financial drain on him and his family.

The Rules In Florida

Stetson said -

He shouldn't be charged but I wouldn't be surprised if this case doesn't go before the grand jury. I certainly hope it comes back as no bill and the citizen walks !obviously this individual is going to have a long time dealing with his actions even though he saved another life and he has a conscience.Let's hope
    he can move on with his life and this event doesn't become a financial drain on him and his family.
    There are no grand jury (like Texas) situation here. The cops would have to charge, and given what we have seen and the difficulty (as far as I know no shooter under any situation even close to this) to charge makes this a no-criminal situation. He took his gun home that night, as the law requires.

As to a civil case - never happen in Florida. Chris - the shooter - would have had to be convicted of something out of the incident before the case could be filed - unless the perps family's attorney wanted to pay Chris' attorney's legal fees.

As to getting over it personnally, I would have hoped that he had thought the chain of events through before he pulled the trigger. I have made my - and tell others to make their - peace with the use of deadly force, and be personnally prepared for everything from identifying the threat, stopping it, to talking to the LEO's, to going on Larry King.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

I would have done the Same And If it had been my wife or daughter on the floor id hope most of you would have to , I know its alot to ask but youd always be welcome at my dinner table...
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I hope the best for him.

Here's my question: Would you have had an interview with the news right after a shooting? Especially if there is any possibility of a trial? You're obviously not going to be thinking clearly.

I think I would've had "no comment". OMO

Also, do you think he really had a CCW? He kinda stuttered when the question was asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

1604 to 42 now.
    I don't believe I could stand by and not act in the defense of another clearly in danger of losing their life. Yes, there WILL be ramifications afterwards. But.....whadya do?
    There is something to be said about a backup unseen B/G or another CCW holder thinking they are doing the same thing that you are doing but assuming you are a second B/G.....
    Best advice I can think of is BE VERY VERBAL!!
    Doesn't guarantee that you will be heard by someone 'tunnelling' in on you but at least it helps.
    Don't be standing around holding a firearm when the cavalry arrives if at all possible. Holster that sucker and announce yourself as soon as possible. Hands up, open palms out and prepare to be taken into custody. Then shut up. You can comment later and clear things up.
    It is not the time to be giving interviews.
    Again; a concealled weapon does not make you a LEO, but a sheepdog has to do what a sheepdog has to do.
    OMOYMMV
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Hadn't thought much about it from that perspective, Shepherd, but what would you do if you had jumped out of the truck to run in for a drink, open the door, and see this guy with a firearm up and aimed in the direction of the cash register? Might give one pause if he were carrying, especially if the guy swept you with his weapon while assessing the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    Hadn't thought much about it from that perspective, Shepherd, but what would you do if you had jumped out of the truck to run in for a drink, open the door, and see this guy with a firearm up and aimed in the direction of the cash register? Might give one pause if he were carrying, especially if the guy swept you with his weapon while assessing the situation.
    He will inevitably sweep his head around and look at you. What happens after that will happen very quickly, that's all anyone can say for sure.

i would like to see how this turns out. thank you Mr. Chris..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I dont see it mentioned here but there was a second 911 call that reported the robbery and stated that a woman was screaming and he said the robber was dressed in black and holding a gun ... the second caller was describing poor chris believing he was the robber .... that kind of eye witness report can get a good guy shot by responding police.
    apache Proverb:

Better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand.

Links